Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2015, 10:44 AM   #1

Camping at natural bridge va

We looked at the koa and liked what we seen. But we are just wandering if anyone has stayed at any other camp grounds in the area. If so we want to hear from you. To help us decide. Thanks
danielabram71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:10 PM   #2

We have not, but we will at that KOA this July 4th weekend this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:46 PM   #3
I Break Everything

We stayed here:

Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park Camp-Resort at Natural Bridge - Natural Bridge Station, VA - RV Park Reviews

It was a Jellystone. Found it to be rather nice. Lush surroundings. I use the RV Park Reviews website quite a bit when planning longer trips. We went from Austin, TX to Washington DC and a while back and stayed at the Jellystone Natural Bridge park on the way back. Visited the Bridge and some other areas as well. I was surprised, and it takes a bit to do that.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:08 PM   #4

Campgrounds in the touristy areas of VA are all sort of the same in the sense they are not very rustic or wooded, tend to be smallish on site sizes, and are often overrun in the peak season! That said, the KOA is OK.

If you have a smallish camper, and want a nice experience and don't mind being a little bit removed from Natural Bridge, check out Crabtree Falls CG. Loved heading there with our PUPs and the hybrid. Don't think I'd be able to negotiate the new TT to it but maybe we'll try. The owners, Dave and Sue, are fellow campers and actually bought the campground they loved going to often when it went up for sale. The run a tight, clean ship!
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielabram71 View Post
We looked at the koa and liked what we seen. But we are just wandering if anyone has stayed at any other camp grounds in the area. If so we want to hear from you. To help us decide. Thanks
We stayed at the Natural Bridge KOA in April 2012 after the first FROG Washington, DC Cherry Blossom Festival Rally. We were only there one night, passing through on our way to Nashville, but it is an attractive campground, and I would stay there again.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:48 PM   #6

Yogi Bear Jellystone is one of our favorite. We go every 4 th of july week. Right on the James River and plenty of activities.
Mike Tav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:08 PM   #7

If you travel with pets you'll probably want to avoid the state parks in Va - they charge per pet per night (or did the last time we considered camping there.)

- Randy
Old 02-18-2015, 03:51 PM   #8

We stayed at the Natural Bridge VA. KOA about six years ago. We had a 25' Flagstaff TT at the time. It was one of the worst campgrounds we ever stayed at. The site was so sloped I was not able to level the trailer. I asked to have my site changed and was told that " I was there for only one night, so that was it. If I wasn't satisfied, I could try and find another campground." We made do for the night, but we have never, or will go back there again.
Mrt2607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongWayRandall View Post
If you travel with pets you'll probably want to avoid the state parks in Va - they charge per pet per night (or did the last time we considered camping there.)

- Randy
They quit charging for pets because pet owners were complaining, but they just added $3 per night to EVERYONE now.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:08 PM   #10

The KOA is right beside the Virginia Safari Park and if you have kids, it is great. You can purchase food and then drive through. There are lots of emus, ostrich, bison, giraffes, camels, and other animals that will eat from your vehicles.

It's a good way to spend a couple of hours.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:00 PM   #11
Jim

Charge for pets I believe is renting cabins.

Pet friendly accommodations
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:30 AM   #12

We stayed at 3 different State Parks in VA last summer and they all charge a pet fee per pet per night.
Ncgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:39 AM   #13
Jim

Thank you. That is good to know as we will be traveling up to Virginia in May. This gives us a heads up on our three doxies.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:11 AM   #14

Stayed at Endless Caverns in New Market last year Very Nice large camp sites. Stayed in mid week middle of August 2014
bldhnd617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:15 PM   #15
Jim

Have just spoken with Occoneechee State Park office. Virginia did have a per pet charge but have now eliminated it. Still a pet fee for cabins.

Tags
camping