Old 02-23-2016, 11:02 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasnipe View Post
If there is ANYTHING I learned from my last job, as a mapper, is to NOT trust a GPS. GPS maps are fed by the locality up through the chains. Some of those local maps have not been updated in over 30 years or longer. We were sent out in 2 person teams to verify roads for driver delivery routes, and some went just as recently stated. Pavement, then gravel, then dirt, then creek bed, and worse. Made for some exciting times. Here are some photos.
That reminds me of when we were trying to cross into the USA at St Stephens NB , we were using the GPS and when we pulled up to the crossing we were looking at a bridge that looked like it was built for a smart car (we are in our 3051 at 32ft long) I walked into the guard shack and the guard looked at me and said " You used a GPS to get here didn't you, you have to go to the next crossing to get that thing over)Luckily it was just a few miles down the road

wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:56 PM   #52
peaceparson

About 15 years ago we bought a 1973 Steury pop-up. Very heavy, no cranks and a 300 pound top to raise. Me and 4 kids could have the camper set up and ready to sleep in 12 minutes! After raising the top on one trip, we looked all over for our cooler, but to no avail. A neighbor in the CG saw us hunting and came over to help. "if you're looking for your cooler," he said, "you'll have to look up!" we did, and there it was, on top of the camper!
A few years later we had sold the Steury and bought a Skamper. Smaller and lighter, it was a joy to pull, but really cramped in a rainstorm. One stormy night, we sat up for a while playing cards, then went to bed early. Nothing else to do, we might as well sleep! Middle of the night, I awoke to feel the camper being lifted off the ground. My first thought was to wake everyone and evacuate, but since we had opted for a more primitive site--far from any buildings, there was no place to run to, so I let everyone else sleep. In the morning, we discovered that the camper had been moved about six feet from it's original position!
Back in the old Steury--we went to visit the President's heads one summer--in the Black Hills of South Dakota. On the way out of the park, we drove up the mountain to the lookout--with the camper in tow, of course! should have thought abut the old maxim, "What goes up must come down"! The 1.5 lane road was a real challenge to descend with that old, weighty trailer behind our chev malibu!
U lives and U learns!

Old 02-25-2016, 07:02 AM   #53
Rodney & Patty

Reading some of these have me holding my gut, laughing so hard it hurts. Truth is, I have a bunch of tales to share as well. One of the first ones was while out camping at a state park with our first new TT. Since I thought I was smarter than the new technology and didn't trust new things, our new 29'tt had manual crank out slides - I wasn't going to waste battery power on things like slides and levelers (in itself, that could be the joke). Having 3 young ones in the trailer with us, and as luck had it - it rained almost every day we were out, we had used cabin lights too much and our battery bank of one was quite low. I had what I felt was a great idea. My DW was then driving a little import with stick shift, so to charge the tt battery I pulled it out and swapped it with the DW's car battery. All I had to do now was push the car, have my wife pop the clutch and we'd be charging. Well, my DW couldn't grasp the concept of popping the clutch. I pushed the car down the one long straightaway that was in that park, must have been a quarter mile, by a dozen other campers all watching and laughing. We go to a pretty good incline and I was dead. Couldn't push it up the hill if I had to so we progress to do a 3 point turn. This turned into a 5 or 7 point turn because the CG roads are a bit narrow for such. About the time we were broadside across the road along comes a truck of older gents on a beer run. After they enjoyed a very hardy laugh at my predicament they offered to give me a tow which I was hesitant to accept but did. I took over driving the car, popped the clutch and we were running and charging in about 30 seconds. The tow wouldn't stop there though - they had to tow me back to my site, past all of the other onlookers who had already laughed hysterically as I pushed by the first time. Once unhooked however, it was kids buckled and off to town for a ride. I am sure the battery was well charged within an hour or so but I still had no desire to return to my site until near sunset. Learned that yes, the car was a great charger but never attempted again.

2015 Salem Hemishere 337 BAR
2014 Ram 3500SRW Laramie 6.7 I6
rdenslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:08 AM   #54
Gold Miner At Heart

Well I have a neighbor that purchased a Class C last year and took a month long trip up into Canada from NC. After he returned he called and ask where I usually dump near home because he still had a little in the black tank. I told him I have a dump at the house and offered to let him come dump what he had. So he showed up and hooked up the hose to his camper and I hook the other end to the sewer dump. He pulled the black handle.... And you guessed it; he forgot to lock his end up and s--t went all over my gravel driveway. He kept saying I'm so sorry as he was cleaning it up with a shovel and a bucket. I looked at him and said "It's ok your s--t is no different than mine, except you all seem to eat a lot more corn than us" ha ha ha. Now he was really embarrassed. He went into his camper and brought out a new bottle of Crown Royal. I smiled and said "We're all good".
Old 02-25-2016, 12:18 PM   #55
Site Team

This story isn't quite as good as the others but it's one we still talk about to this day.

My wife and I actually asked for (and received) a 2-room tent as a wedding present. We already had a house and 2 kids when we got married so that's really how we got our start into camping.

Anyway we decided to take it out one weekend and had my best friend and his wife come along in a separate car. The CG was about 3 hours from our house so we divided up the stuff between the two cars.

Over the course of the weekend we had a disagreement with my friend and his wife. They went of to get some gas and decided to not come back. So here we are with all our stuff (tent, sleeping bags, cooler, clothes, pillows, a small grill and two little kids in car seats) trying to fit it all into a 1993 Chevy Lumina car.

By some miracle we were able to shove everything into the car and made the trip back home. We were literally sitting on pillows and blankets inside the car and the grill was in in the passenger-side foot rest.

When we opened the trunk up it looked like when you open a tube of biscuits and they kind of explode out.

Not long after that we decided to upgrade from the tent to a small pop-up.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:56 AM   #56

Heard a guy yelling from across the road from our site. You could tell he was in pain.......... Being green he was apparently having trouble getting his mother's manual awning to close properly. She had gone off to the bathhouse.. His arm was caught in one of the awning arms and the awning was trying to retract. He could not reach anything soooooooo I went across and got him out........ His was very thankful and said in really hurt.......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:30 AM   #57

We have been luck with our tt but when we tent camped it was not so lucky. Our first outing we couldn't seem to get the monster tent with a screen porch built in together correctly. We were pretty much alone at the cg so no help in site, I called the store and got some instructions after about two hours it sort of looked like the picture. Night one was fine til the wind started blowing, you guessed down it cam. Night two I thought I had it ready for the storms that we're moving in. I was wrong! We slept in the truck thankfully the storm was over by morning. We never used that tent again..

Kim and Scott.
Charlie,Hank,and Tater our dogs.
Live and Learn
2016-8 days camping so far
Old 03-03-2016, 08:44 AM   #58
Gold Miner At Heart

About 15 years ago we took our 5er about four hours away to a private trout hatchery that a good friend managed. It was also Turkey season and I had permission to hunt on their property. We set up to dry camp in a field near they hatchery. As an avid fisherman this was paradise for me and also very interesting to see all the trout from tiny eggs being incubated to 10Lb studs. Anyway I got up before dawn to hike the mountains searching for a turkey. About 10:30 AM I retuned to the camp to find my DW sitting in a camp chair in a thin nightgown holding our two small dogs. Now mind you it was cold outside and also the workers were buzzing by in trucks and tractors. She was freezing and explained to me that she had came out to walk the dogs and got locked out. Just so you newbies will understand if you exit the camper and lock the door from the outside and then someone from the inside goes out the door it will still be locked. Anyway, like I said she had been sitting outside for about three hours. She explained how all the workers kept driving by and she was holding the pups up to hide herself. Finally, I calmly ask her; honey why didn't you use the hide a key that I showed you just I case we ever got locked out? She just hung her head and said; I forgot about the key!!!!!!
Old 03-04-2016, 04:58 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdenslow View Post
Reading some of these have me holding my gut, laughing so hard it hurts. Truth is, I have a bunch of tales to share as well. One of the first ones was while out camping at a state park with our first new TT. Since I thought I was smarter than the new technology and didn't trust new things, our new 29'tt had manual crank out slides - I wasn't going to waste battery power on things like slides and levelers (in itself, that could be the joke). Having 3 young ones in the trailer with us, and as luck had it - it rained almost every day we were out, we had used cabin lights too much and our battery bank of one was quite low. I had what I felt was a great idea. My DW was then driving a little import with stick shift, so to charge the tt battery I pulled it out and swapped it with the DW's car battery. All I had to do now was push the car, have my wife pop the clutch and we'd be charging. Well, my DW couldn't grasp the concept of popping the clutch. I pushed the car down the one long straightaway that was in that park, must have been a quarter mile, by a dozen other campers all watching and laughing. We go to a pretty good incline and I was dead. Couldn't push it up the hill if I had to so we progress to do a 3 point turn. This turned into a 5 or 7 point turn because the CG roads are a bit narrow for such. About the time we were broadside across the road along comes a truck of older gents on a beer run. After they enjoyed a very hardy laugh at my predicament they offered to give me a tow which I was hesitant to accept but did. I took over driving the car, popped the clutch and we were running and charging in about 30 seconds. The tow wouldn't stop there though - they had to tow me back to my site, past all of the other onlookers who had already laughed hysterically as I pushed by the first time. Once unhooked however, it was kids buckled and off to town for a ride. I am sure the battery was well charged within an hour or so but I still had no desire to return to my site until near sunset. Learned that yes, the car was a great charger but never attempted again.
Just an FYI, if a situation like this comes up again, as long as the alternator is strong enough, you can actually start the vehicle with the charged battery and swap in the dead one while it's still running.

Being a born and raised camper, I was able to learn most of the don't while growing up. Had very few issues with my first toy hauler after 2 years of owning it. Few things I have done:

Tried to drive off with the jack down not once but TWICE. First time was on the dealer lot after picking it up after some warranty work. Of course a tech was watching and pointed it out after as if the metal scraping wasn't a giveaway... Bent the tube enough to where it wouldn't retract all the way, but enough to get home and replace it. Didn't learn my lesson then that if it doesn't start to roll smoothly that giving some extra gas isn't a good idea and did it AGAIN pulling out of a campsite. At least this time it was gravel and didn't bend the tube.

Brought it to OK over Christmas and was lucky enough to miss one ice storm while travelling there and another before going back, but got hit after arriving while we were staying. Let faucets drip, but couldn't dump cause the gate was frozen shut and almost had the gray tank spill out of the shower into the trailer, caught it with about 2mm of room in the shower to spare. Had to use the wife's hair dryer to unfreeze the valve or we were not going anywhere...

If I remember, I'll post some pictures of her frozen solid. She did handle the ice storm pretty well given she's a toy hauler though.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:08 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUO View Post
Just an FYI, if a situation like this comes up again, as long as the alternator is strong enough, you can actually start the vehicle with the charged battery and swap in the dead one while it's still running.

Being a born and raised camper, I was able to learn most of the don't while growing up. Had very few issues with my first toy hauler after 2 years of owning it. Few things I have done:

Tried to drive off with the jack down not once but TWICE. First time was on the dealer lot after picking it up after some warranty work. Of course a tech was watching and pointed it out after as if the metal scraping wasn't a giveaway... Bent the tube enough to where it wouldn't retract all the way, but enough to get home and replace it. Didn't learn my lesson then that if it doesn't start to roll smoothly that giving some extra gas isn't a good idea and did it AGAIN pulling out of a campsite. At least this time it was gravel and didn't bend the tube.

Brought it to OK over Christmas and was lucky enough to miss one ice storm while travelling there and another before going back, but got hit after arriving while we were staying. Let faucets drip, but couldn't dump cause the gate was frozen shut and almost had the gray tank spill out of the shower into the trailer, caught it with about 2mm of room in the shower to spare. Had to use the wife's hair dryer to unfreeze the valve or we were not going anywhere...

If I remember, I'll post some pictures of her frozen solid. She did handle the ice storm pretty well given she's a toy hauler though.

NOT a good idea. Just like your RV charging system, you need a battery in the loop to keep bad things from happening. On OLDER vehicles you might get away with removing the battery while it's running but, newer vehicles are much more susceptible to voltage spike damage (a vehicles alternator is capable of putting out over 18 volts if it doesn't sense a battery in the circuit) which can damage your ECM computer & other sensitive electronics. The battery is there to absorb & stabilize the alternators output. I wouldn't recommend it.

rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping