Old 04-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #91

Honestly, and I'm usually easily annoyed by people, I'm really hard to upset when I'm out at a campground. Maybe it's because I'm on vacation or have a beer in my hand... I'm just way easier going when I'm spending my time with the family at the camper or in a tent. Aside from someone being malicious or a mean drunk, stuff just really doesn't get to me.

Play your music, let the dog bark, walk through my site, set up at 1am or pull out at 4am, stops and chat, ask for help, borrow some sugar, pet the dog.. It just doesn't really get to me. Now, you may be the butt of a joke or part of a story I dell years later for being a dumb ass, but I can just shrug it off. Camping in all it's forms (I backpack, motorcycle camp, camp with scouts as well as RV) just sort of puts me at peace and in a good mood.

State's we've RVed in
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:44 PM   #92
Columbus 302 rs

I own a diesel, but don't understand those that start their trucks up in the early morning hours and let it run for 15 minutes to warm up while they get ready to leave.

TheEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:51 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Last was just this past season at a TT in VA. I am all for having fun at night, but our neighbors set all their trailers in a u shape, put up DJ lighting and speakers and literally had a club set up between them. They went on well past the 10pm quiet hours, almost to 2am.... Sadly the rangers just let them do it for the four nights we were there... Regardless of the complaints. First time I ever considered packing up and just leaving.... It was crazy, had lasers, strobes and such going. Nothing like loud rap, booze and screaming adults when your 6 month old is trying to sleep.

-Pat
I may have had to pack up and leave with that nonsense going on!

My husband and I have been campers all our lives ... so 60 years of various kinds of camping. We just graduated to a TT from a popup. We're used to noise and hearing other people talk, etc. We've always tried to be considerate of others. Respect quiet hours, teach our kids and grandkids to be responsible campers, take care of our pets and train them to be good campground visitors.

Our absolutely worst experience was last summer in North Carolina.
Folks hung a sheet up between two trees and played a movie on the screen, complete with surround sound. Not some lovely movie, but a violent movie full of shooting, guns, car chases, and cursing. It was so bright that it lit up our entire campsite as if it were daytime.
We had guests join us for dinner from town, and ended up spending the evening inside our trailer visiting rather than enjoying nature and the trees and fresh air. We were only there two nights on our way elsewhere.

I can handle loud partiers, music, etc. as long as it ends by quiet hours. 3 a.m. is excessive and fortunately I've not been to a campground that hasn't strictly enforced quiet hours.

We've given more than one lecture to our children and grandchildren about being quiet walking to and from bathrooms, not shining their flashlights around into other people's tents, etc., not cutting through anyone's site .... cleaning up after themselves in the showers, cleaning up after the dogs on a walk.

We've met some amazing people. And some people who appear to be the grumpiest of neighbors can become your best friend when you need it. Like the time the campground floods during a freak rainstorm and everyone pitches in to get everyone to safety in the middle of the night. Some of our best family memories are camping trips and bonfires and great meals.

Last year we didn't camp as much as we wanted. We're hoping for another story-filled, fun-filled summer this year.

GaryOverfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:08 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryOverfield View Post
Our absolutely worst experience was last summer in North Carolina.
Folks hung a sheet up between two trees and played a movie on the screen, complete with surround sound. Not some lovely movie, but a violent movie full of shooting, guns, car chases, and cursing. It was so bright that it lit up our entire campsite as if it were daytime.
We had guests join us for dinner from town, and ended up spending the evening inside our trailer visiting rather than enjoying nature and the trees and fresh air. We were only there two nights on our way elsewhere.
This is way more fun than you're making it out to be. Now, the few times we've done it, we made sure it's a family movie and invited the neighbors over and had a blast.

Sloppy Floyd SP in Georgia had an inflatable screen they brought out and they got half the campers showing up others just for the movie.

State's we've RVed in
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:17 PM   #95

Anyone want to discuss light pollution? Seen any stars from a campground with all the awning lights etc.? A campground is just another community and it will suffer from much of the problems of any community.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:27 PM   #96
NELA

Meh, a shoot-em-up movie, even curse words, wouldn't bother DH and me. But then again we don't camp with youngsters. (shrug) We'd probably mosey on over and join 'em, probably bring a bottle or two of chill-out juice, with set-ups.

Surround sound!

Car chases???? We're IN!

<<scratchin' my head over what's violent 'bout car chases??

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:35 PM   #97
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timtation View Post
Anyone want to discuss light pollution? Seen any stars from a campground with all the awning lights etc.? A campground is just another community and it will suffer from much of the problems of any community.
Not on the semi local trip we just got home from, but not because of awning lights.

It stormed like mad Friday night.

It stormed like mad Saturday night and ALL DAY Sunday. I told DH it was the epitome of irony to be watching the news about CA droughts and had to turn the volume WAY up to hear it over the rain pounding on the RV roof while watching the lake rise to the point it was coming over the docks/piers and sea wall by the time we left today.

50% chance of storms tomorrow.

We're gonna need to start growin' pin feathers before long 'round here! And speakin' of feathers, we were entertained by a flock of about 30 di-dippers all five days, just outside our RV on the lake. Those lil puppies can stay under water a LONG time!

Old 04-07-2014, 10:49 PM   #98

Weezer, took me a long time to go camping again after the Boy Scout Camporees in the late 50's. Seemed every year we would set up on Friday night in WWII surplus tents and then just after cooking breakfast Saturday morning it would start raining and keep up until the Dad's decided any more moisture in the equipment would break the springs on the cars. We gladly struck camp, packed up and headed for home and warm showers and dry beds.
Last camper saw its career end about 30 days before the frog strangler of 1993. Repeat of Boy Scout program but it did not quit raining. Decided that if I couldn't be dry on land I would buy a cruiser and that was pretty much the end of camping on land for then next 20. Now we are back to complaining about 10 at 70 versus 1 at 10. MPG and MPH respectively that is. (actually we do both, still have the cruiser)
Old 04-07-2014, 11:02 PM   #99
NELA

We really didn't mind the rain so much, except for taking Fred for walks. But DH had his HUGE golf umbrella with us. They say ya can't teach old(er) dogs new tricks, but I'm thinkin' of trying litter box training on that dog!

Most of those in the park broke camp and left because of the unending rain, but we figured we could stay inside and enjoy or new RV or go home and stay inside. We had satellite, so DH was happy with GOLF and NASCAR (when it wasn't rained out), and late night movies.

That rain sounded like millions of MARBLES on the BR roof of that 5er! Much louder than I ever remember it being in our former V-Lite.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:11 PM   #100

I sleep with a fan running, I think they call it white noise! It works, less I gotta pee

Tags
camping