Old 04-09-2014, 04:50 PM   #121
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeChuck View Post
You have manners, Old Coot. You also know proper campground etiquette. I do the same as you. Heck I can remember when people would slowly drive with parking lights after dark to avoid shining their lights in the eyes of fellow campers. Now many drive with brights on and then park with their lights pointed into another campsite and get out of their truck and walk away while the delay keeps the lights on for another 30 seconds. They just don't care or just don't know any better.
Once I arrived at the campground later than intended and it was almost completely dark out. I was unhitching and a neighbor came over and asked if I needed any help. Then he asked if I could turn off the head lights. No problem - I wished I had thought about it myself. Times have changed and it had been years since I manually turned off the lights.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:27 PM   #122

HSVBAMABOB, Good job. Some people don't know polite when they see it. IDIOTS!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forest River Forums mobile app

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:40 PM   #123

I try to start my blankety blank diesel and get on out of the way. What gets me is the folks that want to let it run for 20 minutes before they leave. When we camp in the Smoky Mountains, we usually leave about 30 minutes before daylight to get to Cades Cove at first light. That is the best time to get pictures of bears and other wildlife. The majority of RVers now have diesel pickups.
2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4 6.4 Powerstroke
Firestone Ride-Rites w/cab control
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:44 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike06081969 View Post
I try to start my blankety blank diesel and get on out of the way. What gets me is the folks that want to let it run for 20 minutes before they leave. When we camp in the Smoky Mountains, we usually leave about 30 minutes before daylight to get to Cades Cove at first light. That is the best time to get pictures of bears and other wildlife. The majority of RVers now have diesel pickups.
Mike, that's what I'm talking about. You have maners. Too bad others dont'. I've been told to stay at Motel 6 , pack up and leave if I don't like it and criticized for a spelling error . Like I said some people don't know any better or just don't care.

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
Old 04-10-2014, 10:25 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeChuck View Post
Mike, that's what I'm talking about. You have maners. Too bad others dont'. I've been told to stay at Motel 6 , pack up and leave if I don't like it and criticized for a spelling error . Like I said some people don't know any better or just don't care.

I'll admit, I was hoping you'd respond to that. A method to my madness, I have.

How often do we see WILDLY differing opinions on dumping and cleaning holding tanks? Or sanitizing the fresh system? Or towing with the fridge running on propane? Are they wrong? Nope, all methods work, it's what works best for you.

Same as with idling engines. Especially blankety blank diesels used to need to fully warm up before being loaded down, that was old school and I'll admit, I still cringe when I see someone cold start and take off before the oil can even circulate. But for the last 10-15 years it's not the case, pretty much since the industry went to full direct injection. The pre combustion chamber diesels of the 90's? Yes, you have to fully warm them up. I'm sure you remember engines with carburetors and chokes. Can you imagine starting a truck with a carburetor on a cold morning and taking off with 10,000 pounds of trailer in less than five minutes? More like 15 minutes, if it's tuned well.

Are you going to listen to someone on a forum, or your trusted mechanic when it comes to what's best for your Diesel engine? Guess what? There's lots of mechanics that to this day tell folks to fully warm them up before towing. I still do, not because it needs it but I err on the side of caution, because I know how people are. Tell them the 5-10 minutes it takes to hook up is all the engine needs and they'll take off before the oil pressure is even up.

There's rude people out there. There's folks that are oblivious and don't realize it's bothering anyone. There's folks that are simply doing what they thought was best to protect their investment. There's folks that make a simple mistake but get their dander up when it's pointed out.

I criticized your spelling error, you criticized them simply doing what their mechanic told them to do, or that they read on a forum somewhere. The vast majority of folks aren't being malicious, they're doing what they feel is best, or they simply don't realize they're bothering anyone, or if they do realize it they don't know what else to do for fear of making it worse.

And to be honest, your attitude on first contact defines my response. Come to me nicely, I'll apologize and do what I can to change. Come up talking to me like a father to a fool? Yeah, I'll tell you the Motel 6 is right up the road.

I apologize for singling you out here, but it makes my point.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:27 AM   #126
Somewhat right of center

Man I try my best to be considerate while camping. I'm always in a good mood when camping. My wife is the social butterfly, I'm not. I'll enjoy talking to someone for a little while, helping you out with whatever or hearing your advice over a few drinks but afterwards I don't want to hang out with you for the remainder of my stay. Nothing personal but that's just me.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:31 AM   #127

I donít think anyone wants to wake up at 5 AM to the sound of a diesel idling, for that matter I donít like waking up to the sound of a gasoline engine either. Diesels are what many RVers have whether in a Motorhome or a pickup. I think itís very inconsiderate to expect someone with a diesel pusher to wait until everyone in the campground is awake before they can start their engines and leave. I also think it is inconsiderate of someone to expect the fisherman, hiker, or photographer with a diesel pickup to wait until everyone in the campground is up before they can start their trucks leave.

In my years of RVing I have only been ticked off twice because of noisy diesels. In both cases it was very early morning and the engines idled for 25 and 30 minutes respectively. Yes, I involuntarily timed it. That is what I feel is inconsiderate.

Campground noise whether from diesels, barking dogs, late night arrivals, husbands cursing wives during setup, kids screaming, early morning trash trucks, coyotes howling, or loud music are just a part of campground noise and always will be. Iím not saying you should embrace the noise, just accept that it will be there and learn to chill out, and yes, some of it will be during quiet hours. It happens.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:12 PM   #128

SKnight: "And to be honest, your attitude on first contact defines my response. Come to me nicely, I'll apologize and do what I can to change. Come up talking to me like a father to a fool? Yeah, I'll tell you the Motel 6 is right up the road."

I simply stated that running an engine for 20 minutes before leaving bothers me and I find it inconsiderate. Don't take it personally I had no one particular in mind in making that statement. I fail to see the attitude in that.

Your apology is accepted. Now I think I'll move on to another topic.

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
Old 04-10-2014, 02:14 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabbyguy View Post
Man I try my best to be considerate while camping. I'm always in a good mood when camping. My wife is the social butterfly, I'm not. I'll enjoy talking to someone for a little while, helping you out with whatever or hearing your advice over a few drinks but afterwards I don't want to hang out with you for the remainder of my stay. Nothing personal but that's just me.

... And you're handle is "Crabbyguy"? Hahahahah... That's funny. I'm actually a lot like you in that way (and I'm considered the social person of our family... Lol). I tell people that I only feel lonely when I'm around a crowd of people. I'm out camping for family together time. I have all the good friends I need... But, like you, I'm always friendly.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:37 PM   #130
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabbyguy View Post
X2, "man after me own heart."

Tags
camping