Old 04-17-2014, 03:27 PM   #191

I have to ask. We get everything ready the night before we leave. Then we only have to run in the slides, put up the the jacks and stow the hoses. If we're leaving real early we try to be quiet. We have a diesel truck and only start it up when we're ready to leave. Why do some people start their engines let them Run ... Run.... Run.? What purpose does it serve?

Old 04-17-2014, 03:30 PM   #192
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj3spots View Post
I have to ask. We get everything ready the night before we leave. Then we only have to run in the slides, put up the the jacks and stow the hoses. If we're leaving real early we try to be quiet. We have a diesel truck and only start it up when we're ready to leave. Why do some people start their engines let them Run ... Run.... Run.? What purpose does it serve?
So the whole campground knows they have a diesel and they're leaving?

Old 04-17-2014, 03:46 PM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
So the whole campground knows they have a diesel and they're leaving?
I wonder if these are the same as the ones that run while pumping gas or sitting in a parking lot or run into the convenience store.

I always figured they were playing "Big Rig Driver". the Truck Drivers actually live in their truck and do this to keep comfortable and things powered. but they are now getting away from that with APUs and the IdleAir set ups at truck stops.

State's we've RVed in
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:05 PM   #194

^^^^ This. I'm quite certain most folks that let their diesel idle for any excessive time fancy themselves the Snowman.....just waiting for that long haul run to Texarkana to pick up that load of beer. It's ridiculous, and unless you live in Northern Canada during the winter, their is no need whatsoever to let your fancy-schmancy diesle sit and idle for 15+ minutes at every stop. It's the ultimate "hey look at me" symbol from some of the diesel crowd.
trikebubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:14 PM   #195
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikebubble View Post
^^^^ This. I'm quite certain most folks that let their diesel idle for any excessive time fancy themselves the Snowman.....just waiting for that long haul run to Texarkana to pick up that load of beer. It's ridiculous, and unless you live in Northern Canada during the winter, their is no need whatsoever to let your fancy-schmancy diesle sit and idle for 15+ minutes at every stop. It's the ultimate "hey look at me" symbol from some of the diesel crowd.

Like me some Smokey & the Bandit!...might get the gold bird decal for the hood of my black diesel truck LOL
Old 04-17-2014, 04:25 PM   #196

mines black on black on black on black........with a lil black thrown in.......105 tx summer heat and it stays on for any stop less than 10 min......i guess i would look cool but i got one them there quiet diesels.....sounds more like a 350 small block v8 with a slight rod knock than a diesel...LOL..

speaking of smokey and the bandit i LOVED that show.....and knight rider....maybe why the love for all the black vehicles??...ahahaah

i actually have a 79 firebird with the olds 400 in it.....all restored....its a fun lil car....wish it had t tops....its not black tho....yellow and grey......got the hood decal tho! LOL

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Forest River Forums mobile app
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:25 PM   #197
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
Like me some Smokey & the Bandit!...might get the gold bird decal for the hood of my black diesel truck LOL
Just as long as you don't do the Gold Bird and KITT's scanner. That'd just be wrong.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:31 PM   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Just as long as you don't do the Gold Bird and KITT's scanner. That'd just be wrong.
But, but the Kitt scanner would match the sequential turn signals!

Old 04-17-2014, 05:22 PM   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERBOB View Post
A diesel that disturbs my sleep in the morning hours is another excuse for that mid afternoon nap!
Close the thread, we have a winner!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj3spots View Post
There's several reasons. Mainly, it used to be you could damage a diesel if you loaded it while it was cold. Diesels don't use spark plugs, they use latent heat in the cylinder under extreme pressure to cause the fuel to combust.

When they were cold, if you put too hard a load on them, the fuel either wouldn't burn due to the amount being sprayed in which loaded the exhaust with fuel and soaked the cylinder, causing hot spots and detonation when it did finally combust, or it would burn late and very suddenly, causing detonation. That would tear a diesel piston to pieces.

The reality? You can drive away unloaded as soon as you put it in gear, if you're going to be loaded, five minutes in the summer, ten in the winter, of idle time is plenty to get the cylinders warm. You're going to crawl in first gear out of the campground, by the time you reach the exit it's more than warm enough to drive normally.

The reality of those that don't understand diesels and the mechanics that service them? Most folks are told to let it fully warm up where the temperature gauge is at it's normal point.

On a diesel that takes forever, easily 30 minutes on a cold day.

That's typical. There's other scenarios also, fire it, let it get warm while hitching up, then talk to the neighbor, or there's something that needs tending to inside, or the breakfast suggestions start. It's not hard for 20 minutes to disappear once distracted. Next thing you know, it's been 30 minutes and the neighbor is glaring through their blinds.

That's my take.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:37 PM   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikebubble View Post
I can't let it idle for the "hey look at me effect" because it can't be heard idling from to far away

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forest River Forums mobile app

davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping