Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2014, 10:01 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

My "favorite" noise complaint is when you are in a campground with "generator hours" and then having the guy with the diesel idling his vehicle to charge the batteries outside of hours. Then pleading innocence about skirting the generator rule. No rule against idling your motor right?

My second favorite is the barking dog left in the camper all day long with the windows open while the owner spends the day fishing or . .
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:06 AM   #42
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
...My second favorite is the barking dog left in the camper all day long with the windows open while the owner spends the day fishing or . .
And if you inform them that their puppy was very unhappy all day they look at you like you have the measles and say, "I can't believe it, we never heard it."
Old 04-07-2014, 10:18 AM   #43
NELA

The best way to avoid noise complaints, I guess, is to choose camps that have widely spaced sites. Up The Creek in Pigeon Forge has two time constraints; after 11 PM quiet time, and nothing before 7 AM leave out time.

I've never even heard, much less been bothered by, a DP idling. Where we're at right now there's a steep hill just past our site, so of course vehicles must rev to climb it while exiting the park. Still haven't been bothered by engine noise. Of course we pretty much have the entire park to ourselves since yesterday, as all the others (ahem) woosed out when the storms hit again.

I'm big on "white noise" and our new 5er has no electrical outlet on my side of the bed . That'll get fixed soon. Probably let the dealer's service department do it. I've slept with a tiny fan blowing straight in my face for decades....I need noise to sleep and I need air movement to breathe!

Disclaimer: we camped thru two monsoons this weekend. I do NOT consider rain on the roof that sounds like hail to be "white noise"!! But it'll dang sure cancel out any bucket-o-bolts DP noise!

OC, why am I not surprised that you're so considerate of others in the park with ya? you're *such* a good "aig"! When I die I wanna come back as your and TOWTA's poodle. /snark

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:25 AM   #44
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
...When I die I wanna come back as your and TOWTA's poodle. /snark
Sorry, Weezer, when Dusty passes on, she is the end of any pets other than TOWTA.

p.s. don't like poodles.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:46 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
The best way to avoid noise complaints, I guess, is to choose camps that have widely spaced sites. Up The Creek in Pigeon Forge has two time constraints; after 11 PM quiet time, and nothing before 7 AM leave out time.

I've never even heard, much less been bothered by, a DP idling. Where we're at right now there's a steep hill just past our site, so of course vehicles must rev to climb it while exiting the park. Still haven't been bothered by engine noise. Of course we pretty much have the entire park to ourselves since yesterday, as all the others (ahem) woosed out when the storms hit again.

I'm big on "white noise" and our new 5er has no electrical outlet on my side of the bed . That'll get fixed soon. Probably let the dealer's service department do it. I've slept with a tiny fan blowing straight in my face for decades....I need noise to sleep and I need air movement to breathe!

Disclaimer: we camped thru two monsoons this weekend. I do NOT consider rain on the roof that sounds like hail to be "white noise"!! But it'll dang sure cancel out any bucket-o-bolts DP noise!

OC, why am I not surprised that you're so considerate of others in the park with ya? you're *such* a good "aig"! When I die I wanna come back as your and TOWTA's poodle. /snark
Quiet hours like the ones you mention are the key. Unless it's an emergency, campers shouldn't be making noise between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m. with their truck or their dog or their music or their pots and pans or their drunken friends. If the quiet hours don't fit in with their work or travel schedules, they should find another campground with quiet hours that better suit their needs. When there are posted quiet hours, everyone should be able to rely on them unless, as I mentioned, there is an emergency.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:52 AM   #46

So I guess the fisherman can't leave the campground until after quiet hours? That means a late in the day start and missing out on the best time to fish.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:57 AM   #47
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
So I guess the fisherman can't leave the campground until after quiet hours? That means a late in the day start and missing out on the best time to fish.
Don't think it applies to fishermen or those that have to go to work. Just don't start your rattlin', stinkin' diesel and let it idle for 30 minutes.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:00 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Sure. He can leave quietly if the quiet hours are still in effect. And his neighbors can get drunk and play their music until 3 a.m. as long as it can't be heard by others.

Rules are for everyone, whether they are convenient or not.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:01 AM   #49
Camper Less Camping

You want quiet?...then that's why there are primitive campgrounds...park your car at the trailhead and pack in the tent to your site...complete solitude...otherwise, rv campgrounds are no different than a townhome/condo complex - gonna be noise!

Old 04-07-2014, 11:05 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
You want quiet?...then that's why there are primitive campgrounds...park your car at the trailhead and pack in the tent to your site...complete solitude...otherwise, rv campgrounds are no different than a townhome/condo complex - gonna be noise!
Remember that the next time your neighbors are drunk and raising hell at 3 a.m. You'll be fine.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:21 AM   #51

While I understand the need for diesel trucks for towing I don't understand starting them up in the early hours of the morning and letting them run for long periods of time before leaving the campsite. I feel that one should be ready to leave before starting the engine. Have some courtesy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forest River Forums mobile app

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:22 AM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
I've had more noisy neighbors in hotels than ever will have in cg's. And more car noise too.
I've had my share of noises in hotels. Probably the worst case was when I was woken up at 3 in the morning by some very 'distinct' noises. I'm all for people having fun, but for the sake of your neighbors, pull the bed away from the wall. The dang painting over my bed was bouncing.

Quote:
Oh another one is tent campers wanting to use your electric for a coffee pot or something. Thats just awkward.
I haven't seen that but I'd say they were being courteous. Normally I just wake up to find an extension cord plugged into the 20 amp on the pole. Which they're welcome to, it's not like I'm using it.

In fact, I believe the only time anyone's ever knocked on my site was a single girl backpacking looking for hitch a ride if we were going east. (Nope, we were going south). But she was courteous in the way she asked.

Oh, and to all the complainers about noise from Dogs/Kids. Since I have both, I can say that the dogs are the easier of the two to quiet down. I haven't gotten a full nights sleep since DS was born.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:24 AM   #53

Quote:
I've had more noisy neighbors in hotels than ever will have in cg's. And more car noise too.
Last Labor Day weekend we were moteling it since we were camper less, and some drunk guy came barging thru the door due to a faulty lock/latch. Needless to say he realized his mistake about the same time I grabbed for my LCP to handle things. Dw was scared to death.
I'll take noise over this stuff anyday.
It could be worse though!

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
I think this is 100% true. I had an incident in a hotel in KC last year with a group of punks. There was a large number of them and i just so happened to get a room next door to a few that kept running to a room across the hall to hang out with their friends who also had a room. This was not the issue, but what was is they would flip the door lock so that the door would not close all the way and it would "Slam" against the frame. This started at about 10:30. I let it go for about an hour and Finally went knocked on the door only to get told to get lost but in much more colorful language. It continued...and even I would say even louder. I then decided to play a little game....once the punks would leave and the door would slam and they were in the room across the hall, like a cat i slinked out and flipped the lock and closed their door locking them out. Then back to my room for the show. I was able to do it three more times until they go the idea....I finally had to call the front desk and let them handle it.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:30 AM   #54

It doesn't matter what hydrocarbon you are burning, loud unnecessary engine noise does not belong in quiet campground. I am fine if your diesel rattles a little but put some decent mufflers on it and don't rev it up because you are pretending to be a semi-driver. I think some of the animosity from the "gasser" crowd is that we have all seen the guy drive in with the huge trailer, no muffler to speak of, and perhaps even doing a lap around the campground so everyone can look at his toy and he doesn't realize that the looks he is getting are not looks of envy but distain for ruining the auditory beauty of the great outdoors.
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:30 AM   #55
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
Remember that the next time your neighbors are drunk and raising hell at 3 a.m. You'll be fine.

Been there...done that...it wasn't fun but it is what it is...that's the beauty of these campers with wheels, you can always move on ,)

Old 04-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
Been there...done that...it wasn't fun but it is what it is...that's the beauty of these campers with wheels, you can always move on ,)
Right. And please understand that I am just talking about posted quiet hours. I don't have a problem with people making noise and having fun during other times. It's a normal thing.

I just think we all are entitled to a resaonable expectation that everyone will follow the rules.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:58 AM   #57

I was at a permanent grounds and the overflow parking was directly by my bedroom window. The neighbor across the road parked his car, head in about 3 feet from the window. He would come in every night about 1 AM and lock his car with the remote. Of course the horn would beep to tell him it was locked. After about the 4th night of this we had a conversation that keys still work to lock your car. Or find another spot to park. Message was received and all was quiet from that point.
Rod, Debbe 1 spoiled Chihuahua and Becky the cat
1Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:00 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongWayRandall View Post
Noise is part of staying in a campground regardless of whether it is from a diesel engine, generator, children, etc. (as long as it is not during posted quiet hours.) Cutting through other people's spots, leaving bikes in the road, unattended children wreaking havoc, making a mess in the restrooms, trashing a spot and then leaving it that way - now that's a different story...

- Randy
I agree totally. x's 20, now this person has a brain...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:22 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I agree totally. x's 20, now this person has a brain...
Exactly right. And as you say, as long as it is not during posted quiet hours.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:41 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
You watch what you post, I wouldn't pull a golf cart with a GMC......

X2

Black
Black is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping