Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2014, 08:23 PM   #1

Camping Etiquette

so I went camping this weekend to get away from the day 2 day humdrum, hoping I could sleep in a little later than the normal 5am.. I'll be danged if a neighbor camper didn't crank up his big loud blankety blank diesel to let it warm up to start heading out. I felt like.... we'll I better calm down.....
Sistahazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:29 PM   #2

I would rather hear a few minutes of a truck running than non-stop dog barking
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:33 PM   #3

For sure, that's another great one to add to the list
Sistahazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:35 PM   #4

I commute to work from my seasonal campsite, and while I don't drive a diesel, I do leave at 5AM. I try to get out as soon as possible so I don't disturb anyone but I'm sure I do.
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 CC Outdoorsman
PrairieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:37 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sistahazel View Post
so I went camping this weekend to get away from the day 2 day humdrum, hoping I could sleep in a little later than the normal 5am.. I'll be danged if a neighbor camper didn't crank up his big loud blankety blank diesel to let it warm up to start heading out. I felt like.... we'll I better calm down.....
Sorry that happened to you. As the owner of one of those blankety blank diesels I try to be cautious of cranking mine while camping. But there comes a point where I have no choice but to fire it up. I don't think it should be in the etiquette
category though. If I have to go, I have to go, I mean I can't tow this big ole thing with a prius
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:37 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

And the owners of both are totally oblivious to or care what their fellow campers think about their thoughtless actions.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:44 PM   #7

some people are a little thoughtless about it, but you can't push it out of the campground before starting it. I also own a blankety blank diesel, but it is new, it has factory quiet exhaust, and makes less noise than any gas truck with dual exhaust with tips the size of trash cans
Old 04-06-2014, 08:50 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
some people are a little thoughtless about it, but you can't push it out of the campground before starting it. I also own a blankety blank diesel, but it is new, it has factory quiet exhaust, and makes less noise than any gas truck with dual exhaust with tips the size of trash cans
I agree the new diesels are quieter than gassers with loud pipes and MHs that seem to have to start them 30 minutes before they move and rev the engines to pump up the air or whatever they do.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:55 PM   #9

no matter how nice we all try to be, the fact is that everyone lives different lives. Some people are camping to sleep in, others are up early and on the go.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:58 PM   #10
phat phrog stunt crew

No camping unless you have a quiet gas motor. Maybe I should find a shasta/canned ham and pull it with my old hot rod. Nobody would be complaining about loud diesels after that. It would be towed by the engine og choice of the gas contingent.

P. S. I too get up early.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:59 PM   #11

I had a co-worker once whose sole reason for hating Diesels was when one parked next to them late at night while camping, waking her infant. She liked to remind me of this because I owned a 1999.5 VW diesel Golf. Noisy it was not.

^^^Neither here nor there, just made me think of that.

Earplugs?
TT 2014 Rockwood Roo 183
TV 2012 Nissan Armada
EricInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:21 PM   #12

You could probably site there and rev my noisy blankety blank diesel right next to my camper with an open window, and I'd sleep right through it. Some people are light sleepers, some are early risers. In the grand scheme of things, it can't be that big a deal and if it is, you've lead an enchanted life.

If you needlessly crank it up and let it idle until the engine is warmed up, well, that's kind of a jerk move.

If I need to leave, I need to leave. I don't rev up my truck and peal out, but it is what it is... and it's a noisy old diesel and a bit much to push down the street before I crank it up.

State's we've RVed in
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:25 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sistahazel View Post
No one likes to be woken up earlier than planned. When I encounter unwanted noise sometimes I try to remember that there's not much I can do about it right then. Some things are not within my control so I try not to let it over shadow camping for me.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:30 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
You could probably site there and rev my noisy blankety blank diesel right next to my camper with an open window, and I'd sleep right through it. Some people are light sleepers, some are early risers. In the grand scheme of things, it can't be that big a deal and if it is, you've lead an enchanted life.

If you needlessly crank it up and let it idle until the engine is warmed up, well, that's kind of a jerk move.

If I need to leave, I need to leave. I don't rev up my truck and peal out, but it is what it is... and it's a noisy old diesel and a bit much to push down the street before I crank it up.
I try to be very quiet if I leave early, do all hookups, breakdowns, retract all stab jacks, pull test, etc the afternoon before, morning we leave, it is a matter of stowing shoreline, water hose, etc. We don't even slam doors and use just enough accelerator to move slowly out of the park. Just trying to be considerate of others and would like to be treated the same.
p.s. Been doing it since we got married in 1960, so we've experienced the gamut of inconsiderate neighbors and it hasn't deterred us from camping. The world has a lot of inconsiderate folks, so we just tolerate them.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:54 PM   #15
DDC

The etiquette described is also like the people who cut through campsites as if you are not even there, correcting them is very difficult and leaves you feeling like the culprit.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:54 PM   #16
Oklahoma Proud

I've had more noisy neighbors in hotels than ever will have in cg's. And more car noise too.
Last Labor Day weekend we were moteling it since we were camper less, and some drunk guy came barging thru the door due to a faulty lock/latch. Needless to say he realized his mistake about the same time I grabbed for my LCP to handle things. Dw was scared to death.
I'll take noise over this stuff anyday.
It could be worse though!

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:04 PM   #17
Oklahoma Proud

My main pet peeve is animals in public walk ways, not in thier sites (we have little kids), or thier "business" not being cleaned up.
But even more is someone walking thru your site. We are teaching our kids cg boundaries, and that is thier site, walk around to ours.

Oh another one is tent campers wanting to use your electric for a coffee pot or something. Thats just awkward.

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:17 PM   #18

My diesel does not bother me I just leave my hearing aids off until I get out of the camp ground!! So I don't know if it bothers you either..
Old 04-06-2014, 10:28 PM   #19

Camping Ettiquite

I start my diesel up via remote 20 minutes before I depart when temps are near freezing. Truck is parked 4 feet from my RV door and I can't hear it running with the door open so doubtful anyone else can. I've accidentally hit the remote switch twice because I couldn't hear the engine running . Any noise it makes certainly has less decibels that the couple arguing next door or their 5 dogs yapping 24 hrs/day. My newer diesel makes no more noise than a gasser.

2013 F350 Lariat 6.7 Diesel DRW
2013 Rockwood Ultralite 2608 WS
2013 Days Camping: 61
2014 Days Camping: 200+
TxTravelingRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:29 PM   #20

I figure it's just part of camping life. Don't sweat the small stuff. Look around in your camper or out the window when you are awakened and realize how lucky we all are to be able to do this!
Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping