Old 05-12-2015, 12:03 PM   #21
Originally Posted by gthomp10 View Post
Some of our best memories have been of camping in the rain. We sit under the awning wrapped up in blankets sipping hot chocolate and enjoying the experience. If it is raining too hard or it's too cold outside, there is nothing like sitting in the RV listening to the rain and the thunder and lightening. All the while a roast or homemade soup cooking in the dutch oven on the stove, and a game of dominos or cards at the table.
That is the life. It doesn't get any better than that.
I totally agree. That is one of the things I love about pop up camping. You get such a sense of being in the storm and feeling the power. When I tented, you had to worry about flash flooding on the surface. But now we are on an axle so that worry is gone. Now we can just sit back and enjoy the storm.

Life is good.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:14 PM   #22
Back when we tent camped, if a T-storm rolled through we would sit it out in the truck. I was always concerned about tree limbs coming down and I always made sure any tree we might be under didn't have any dead limbs. Now that we have a fifth wheel I don't worry as much, but I still won't camp near a dead tree or one with a large dead limb.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:39 PM   #23
NOAA weather radio, fully charged, bright, flashlight. Find a go to shelter in your area! Tornados toss these RV's like toys and shred them like a paper shredder! Not a good place to be IF you can find a better building structure. Sometimes there is not enough time to run!
We were stuck in Amarillo, TX 3 years ago in a spring storm from hell. We went thru tremendous wind, rain and hail for 50 miles to get to Amarillo. Ain't much west of there! We called ahead and reserved a spot for 2 nights, whew! Glad we did! Storm hit and fringes of 50+ mph side winds! Hunkered down and we were lucky! No serious issues. Rested on day 2 and re grouped and moved east.
Lesson: when bad weather is even possible in Texas, get to a safe place as soon as practical.
In bad weather in Texas, you chug along towing your 5er and trucks blow by you at 75mph trying to drive thru as fast as they can, safety for them is out the window!!
Scary stuff even for experienced drivers. You have no control over the other guy!!
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:43 PM   #24
Site Team
We watch radar and weather reports every day. If the area we are in is going to have severe weather, we move to a safer location; often a day ahead of time.
2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost, 2016 Surveyor 274BHS
2003 Yamaha FJR1300, Demco Premiere Slider
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:52 PM   #25
Whenever I'm concerned about the weather I just give a friend of mine in Japan a call. They're 16 hours ahead of us so he can always tell me what the weather will actually be like tomorrow.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:57 PM   #26
The supplied radio by FR has Weather Radio built in. In Canada our National Alarm System just launched March 31st on Radio/TV OTA/Cable and Satellite TV. We are newbies to this type of system. I have worked in Radio/TV since 1979 and have covered many large Tornado's and Storms in Ontario. We were under alerts where we camped. The smart phone app for is the best we have, I can use Accuweather and it is close to the same time for alerts as well but not as specific.

We have a plan to go to cement privy close by in case of severe weather. Wherever you are plan your exit.
B and B
2013 Rockwood 8289 Diamond Edition
GY D's/2.5 inch lift kit/Powerhouse 4 KW EFI Generator
2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4
2008 Golden Falcon 380PA Park Model Model

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:17 AM   #27
If it's a moderate to severe storm I will just ride it out in the camper. It takes a lot for us to abandon our A good rain storm with thunder and lightning is relaxing to me.

How ever, we always watch the weather when camping. My wife has a couple severe weather apps on her phone that will let us know if the storm is turning into something to be worried about. She even has an app that will let us know exactly what area will be hit the worst and if there is possible rotation/ tornado producing storms heading our way. That is kind of a must for camping in Texas during the spring.

Here is a pic from the last time we went camping, had a severe storm blow through with winds up to 35 mph, and about 2" of rain.

2015 WildWood 27RKSS
2012 Ford F350 King Ranch FX4
DFW Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:38 AM   #28
Also, I hate to say this, but I don't trust severe radio stuff. Especially after this past weekend! I have a little story to tell.

We got hit by the storms that ripped through east tx Sunday, and it was very disappointing what I heard on the radio. I flipped my radio to the weather channel in my truck while we were taking my wife, sister and mom out to eat in Whitney, tx, and it said that the bad storms were to our south west headed straight north (this put us just out of the danger zone). Little did we know that he storms turned North-North East. We got to the restaurant and were sitting down eating and the sirens went off. Then the people working in there asked everyone to go into the kitchen, we made the decision to look outside, we could see part of the funnel and that it was about 1 mile away or so. We decided to take our family and haul bass south! We made it out of whitney and while driving towards Waco, my radio said that if your in Whitney now is the time to take cover and prepare for a tornado! I'm going to tell y'all what if I was camping and heard that I'd be screwed to get my pregnant wife and daughter and make a dash for the bathroom in less than a minute to get what might be clear across a campground! Moral of this story is, get a radar app or a severe storm app.

Here is a pic of the tornado in Whitney: It tore up the school a little bit, but luckily no serious building damages or people hurt in this storm.

2015 WildWood 27RKSS
2012 Ford F350 King Ranch FX4
DFW Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote