Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2018, 04:38 PM   #41

I don’t Mind the rain. My dog doesn’t mind the rain. My wife minds my wet dog in the bed after the rain though.

I don’t Change my plans unless I have flooding concerns, which is a big issue in some of the places I camp.

As long as the wind isn’t Bad I will sit in my chair under the awning drinking all hight. I love to watch the rain.

We also have a tv and lots of movies.

We run a animal breeding business out of our house so the camper is our getaway.
quicky06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:05 PM   #42

Frog Togs. Never leave home without them. We go to a 4 day out door Bluegrass festival. It is on rainmor shine, no refunds. Performers are on covered stages. Everyone else sits in the rain. Notbtoo bad if not windy or cold
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:54 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedubya View Post
Frogg Toggs
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
Frog Togs. Never leave home without them. We go to a 4 day out door Bluegrass festival. It is on rainmor shine, no refunds. Performers are on covered stages. Everyone else sits in the rain. Notbtoo bad if not windy or cold
Yep ^.

Motorcycling, kayaking, bicycling, hiking or whatever ... rarely will weather dictate my day.

Its about using the proper gear along with the right mindset.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:56 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
That line about kids not wanting to be cooped up cracked me up. In my part of the country, you have to beat them with sticks to get them outside. I would patrol my town with big beautiful swimming pools in the summer....not a kid to be seen. Heck, these kids can't even stand for 5 minutes at a bus stop, their moms park at the end of the driveway in a 10 man SUV idling away so their precious little snowflake doesn't get too chilly or too warm...and then the ballet of SUV's begins, as the bus picks the kid up, the SUV backs up the driveway to the house. I'm hoping other parts of the country are different. I come from a horrible generation, that is creating horribly lazy, coddled, and self absorbed kids. Yes, I know, there are exceptions. I'm not talking about them, I'm just talking about MOST of them here in NJ.
It's not just there in NJ. My local school district buys and maintains a huge fleet of school buses to transport kids to school. They run around half empty and when you drive by the local schools there is a traffic jam of parent's cars/SUV's/Trucks delivering or picking up their pampered offspring.

I wonder how much money could be saved if we could just talk the parent drivers into picking up a couple extra kids in their neighborhoods.

When I went to school, if I missed the bus the alternative was to ride my bike or walk. I made sure of two things. That I would try to be to the bus stop on time and also make sure my bike was in good working order. No sympathy (or rides) from my parents.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:01 PM   #45

I lived 1.9 miles from school. No bus or car at home to take me to school. I was too close, under 2 miles, so walked for 4 years.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:44 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
when you drive by the local schools there is a traffic jam of parent's cars/SUV's/Trucks delivering or picking up their pampered offspring.
Here too, all the way through high school. My kids went to school with kids that NEVER rode a bus. Ever!
2rad4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:16 PM   #47
Trailer Park Supervisor

Titan, A32, 2rad, you are my new camping buddies. I think we have a lot to sit out under our awnings and talk about!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:19 PM   #48

Quote:
Titan, A32, 2rad, you are my new camping buddies. I think we have a lot to sit out under our awnings and talk about!
I'm down in South Jersey near exit 4 of the pike.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:45 PM   #49

Camping in the Rain

If at all possible, I would go. This appears to be your first time in the rain. This would be perfect practice for a first time. Take notes, would you do it again, what would you need to make the time more enjoyable. You never know, you may be forced to camp in the rain at some future date and this experience will allow you to be prepared.
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:56 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
If at all possible, I would go. This appears to be your first time in the rain. This would be perfect practice for a first time. Take notes, would you do it again, what would you need to make the time more enjoyable. You never know, you may be forced to camp in the rain at some future date and this experience will allow you to be prepared.
Not a first timer here! I've spent MANY days and nights camping in the rain. Backpacking trips, car camping (tent), pop up camper, had a TT back in 2005-2007. We've traveled all over the Southeast.

BUT, I usually try to camp when the weather is GENERALLY going to be good. I've never really planned a trip when a "washout" was predicted.

Tomorrow we're supposed to get an inch of rain, and then rain again on Sunday. That's what brought me to posting this. I wondered what other people do in this situation and what other "lines in the sand" might be.

BTW, the camper is loaded, hitched and ready! I took advantage of the dry weather today to get most of my pre-trip work done.

Let it rain! We're going!
Old 12-27-2018, 07:57 PM   #51

Quote:
Let's do it!
Old 12-29-2018, 01:26 AM   #52

Some of our most memorable camping weekends have been in the rain. St. Patrick's Day weekend in 2006 we were camping with 6 other couples when the rains came down. We had already begun sharing preparation of the traditional meal of Corned Beef, Potatoes, Cabbage, and Irish Soda Bread. Eating outdoors was out of the question, so all 18 of us piled into our 27-foot TT and had a sit down dinner!!

Next day dawned bright, sunny, and clear. Everything dried out before we broke camp.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 10:50 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakie-Boy View Post
Some of our most memorable camping weekends have been in the rain. St. Patrick's Day weekend in 2006 we were camping with 6 other couples when the rains came down. We had already begun sharing preparation of the traditional meal of Corned Beef, Potatoes, Cabbage, and Irish Soda Bread. Eating outdoors was out of the question, so all 18 of us piled into our 27-foot TT and had a sit down dinner!!

Next day dawned bright, sunny, and clear. Everything dried out before we broke camp.
A "sit down dinner" dinner with 18 people in a 27' trailer? How many had to sit in others laps?[emoji57][emoji57]

That must have been a sight to see. I used to own a 27 foot tt and we maxed out at 11, 5 of which were kids[emoji1]

Old 12-29-2018, 10:57 AM   #54

Quote:
I live all the way out on the 'Left Coast" but an always looking for an excuse to travel.

Let me know if you're ever headed this general direction and maybe we could meet in the middle. In 3 days I'm headed to Quatrzsite to join everyone who's looking for some warmer, dryer, weather, for a month or so.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:09 AM   #55

Never stay home because of a forecast. If the wind is high on travel day we don't use highways. As others have said, it usually does not rain all the time. Of all the years in cabins or with the TT there has only been one that rained everyday. Rain days are what winery visits are for!
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 01:54 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2rad4u View Post
Not a first timer here! I've spent MANY days and nights camping in the rain. Backpacking trips, car camping (tent), pop up camper, had a TT back in 2005-2007. We've traveled all over the Southeast.

BUT, I usually try to camp when the weather is GENERALLY going to be good. I've never really planned a trip when a "washout" was predicted.

Tomorrow we're supposed to get an inch of rain, and then rain again on Sunday. That's what brought me to posting this. I wondered what other people do in this situation and what other "lines in the sand" might be.

BTW, the camper is loaded, hitched and ready! I took advantage of the dry weather today to get most of my pre-trip work done.

Let it rain! We're going!
I have a mostly similar point of view and background - except we never went beyond pop-ups and A-frames.

I had loosely planned a 6 day trip leaving Thursday, 27 Dec to go south - southern Texas, New Mexico, or Arizona. But weather forecasts as of the 24th for Raton Pass, Ogallah Nebraska, Cheyenne were all ugly - snow or very cold temps. N, S, or E - none had a nice week ahead.

After getting caught - not towing a trailer - in Iowa and Nebraska over Thanksgiving weekend and having to overnight in North Platte because of zero visibility snow, my bride and I are rather reluctant to tow the camper into a snow storm. And camping in highs in the teens and twenties when it isn't snowing isn't all that appealing.

So we drew the line this time, and took in overflow holiday guests from our friends instead.

4 years ago, I went home early from weekend camping at Lake Pueblo, CO in July in 102 degrees and no electric sites available. Was very glad for the quick tear-down of an A-frame.

Hope to catch a weather break in March and try for a southern week again. In the meantime, I installed a voltmeter and power switch for the stereo. I also fixed some broken wires and bad connections while I had the microwave out. And added a king foam topper to the bed.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 02:29 PM   #57

Camping in the rain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
The only weather that would make me re-think my plans are snow and ice. Rain doesn't bother me. I'm not a fan of setting up or packing up in the rain but I'll do it. I've had many good times just hanging out in the camper on a rainy day watching TV, playing board games or just shooting the breeze.

I think that was 1/2 of last summer. Rain that is.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 02:42 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Perhaps one of these would free up a hand for those two handed chores:

Now that is cool. I keep a full length real raincoat and waterproof hat in the MH at all times, along with waterproof boots.

True, if you only have a weekend, that might influence the decision. Lately, since my stays are longer, I will come in a day late or leave a day early to avoid setup or tear down in the rain.

Another thing I have noticed is that 100% chance of rain could mean only an hour or two. I have a few weather radar apps so I can see how big the front is.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 06:39 PM   #59

TitanMike asked how we fit 18 people for a "sit-down" dinner in our 27-ft TT. We had six at the built-in dinette, four more on an extensions table with folding chairs, four on the couch with a long folding table in front of them, and four more folding chairs for people facing the couch. Once everyone was seated, there were only 2 or 3 of us who could move around to serve everyone else.

The windows were so fogged up from everyone's breathing no one could see out or in!!
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 07:00 PM   #60
Trailer Park Supervisor

Jakie-Boy, you gotta post some pics of that!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping