Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2016, 07:41 AM   #1

Camping over Veterans Day

Veterans Day is Friday November 11. We have reservations in Tabor City, NC at Daddy Joe's Jellystone RV Park for Thursday through Saturday nights. We have five RV's of family and friends already booked. Four of us have one of the quad sites.
Come join us. It is a very nice RV park.
https://taborcityjellystone.com/

Love my Wildcat 295RSX!

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:25 AM   #2

sounds like fun kind of a long haul tho lol
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:39 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Sounds like fun Tom, but a little bit of a ride from Arizona for us.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:15 PM   #4
Insert witty title here

My camper will be bedded down for the winter.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
Veterans Day is Friday November 11. We have reservations in Tabor City, NC at Daddy Joe's Jellystone RV Park for Thursday through Saturday nights. We have five RV's of family and friends already booked. Four of us have one of the quad sites.

Love my Wildcat 295RSX!
Daddy Joes is a nice campground. The annual NC GS rally will be held there again next year.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post

Love my Wildcat 295RSX!

Would love to, but for the last 6 years our local high school does not give the kids the day off. Instead they bring in Veterans (WWII to current) to talk to the kids. I've been participating in this for that last 5 of the 6 years. I enjoy public speaking and the kids come up with some interesting questions once they get beyond the have you ever been shot?, or killed anyone? The teachers and school staff go all out for us. The students design a t-shirt for the event as well as tie their history/social studies into the different conflicts. We all meet the teachers and fellow veterans at the local VFW the night before for a meet and greet dinner. This year will be a treat as I have finally recruited several fellow Navy veterans so i'm not the only representative of the Navy present.
tdiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiller View Post
Would love to, but for the last 6 years our local high school does not give the kids the day off. Instead they bring in Veterans (WWII to current) to talk to the kids. I've been participating in this for that last 5 of the 6 years. I enjoy public speaking and the kids come up with some interesting questions once they get beyond the have you ever been shot?, or killed anyone? The teachers and school staff go all out for us. The students design a t-shirt for the event as well as tie their history/social studies into the different conflicts. We all meet the teachers and fellow veterans at the local VFW the night before for a meet and greet dinner. This year will be a treat as I have finally recruited several fellow Navy veterans so i'm not the only representative of the Navy present.
Great idea. Thanks for serving both in the past and present. I'm sure it's a great learning experience for the kids.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:52 PM   #8

Two families of us camping Thurs, Fri and Sat on Veterens day weekend at Fort Boonesborough in Ky. Plenty of spots to choose from and on Sunday we help each other winterize for the season.
speedcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 02:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiller View Post
Good for your school. We have a very large US Navy community here in Kitsap County, with Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, Keyport Naval Torpedo Station and Sub-Base Bangor (no, I'm not Navy but have a lot of them in my family and my wife is retired Navy DoD). There is always a meaningful assembly with speakers. I've been a featured speaker, too, but most kids already know that as I coach high school wrestling and sometimes wear T-shirts that on others might not be approved (I'll leave it at that).

On the other side of the coin, there are some school districts that don't celebrate the day, nor have assemblies. I won't give you my comment on that because this isn't that kind of forum but looking at my photo and forum "name", you can surmise my opinion.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:22 PM   #10

local grade & high schools have assembly to honor veterans & personal serving now. I am proud to be veteran. USAF 1966-1970
savoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping