Old 09-28-2016, 05:44 AM   #31
MCTroy

Anyone have advise or a link on how to properly check lug nuts? We don't own a torque wrench, and probably wouldn't know how to use one anyway. Is it time to learn? We tow a Windjammer with a swd Ram.It

2016 camping: Lost count, but never enough.
2017 6 nights and more reservations made!
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:02 AM   #32

Mctroy, here in Oklahoma we have Tires Plus and Hibdons which will check lug nut/bolt torque for free. I would check in your area, if not, I would not believe it would cost that much. Then when they perform the tightening. Just pay attention to how they do it and go buy the proper tools... if all else go to a shop and ask someone to show you, bet they would show you for free...

Old 09-28-2016, 06:49 AM   #33

I had a flat tire on my right rear inside dually. Took it to a big box store that had a garage open on a Sunday. We were traveling home from a 3 month 7500 mile vacation and out of our home country. They pulled the wheels off and then I told them I wanted to pull my TST TPMs off on the bad tire before they worked on it. They told me they will not work on the tire then so I asked if they would put my spare on and they said ok. When they put the spare on and were ready to torque it I asked what they will torque to and they said 170 ft. pounds. There book said 170. I said oh no you won't as the wheels are torqued to 140 ft. pounds. We had a big go around over that and they asked if I had the book for the truck, which I did and the page for torquing was marked also. Even with the book stating 140 ft pounds they insisted I sign a waver.
So the moral of the story is, IMHO, know what your torque specs are for your individual rigs. My 5er wheels are torqued at 110 ft. pounds. We just got back from another 3 month long trip out west and while going out there we lost a brake drum on the left rear axle of the 5er. There was a smell but it smelled like the brakes had been ridden. We got lucky and had somebody watching over us as we drove like that for another 1500 miles or so. The only part left of the brake drum was what held the wheel studs. Anyway the axles were Lippert and apparently they don't make parts for a 2009 model 5er anymore, the parts being a never lube bearing that was damaged,of which I had all of them replaced last year. I ended up with 2 new Dexter axles with regular greaseable bearings. I never liked the never lubes anyway. I have a torque wrench and checked the torque 3 times on the way home. Other than that, the vacation was great
Old 09-28-2016, 07:33 AM   #34

The company I work for has about 200 cordless impacts guns going day and night. There is only one good brand out there, Milwaukee. They make two 1/2" drive models and the big one is where it's at. Dewalt are about the worst. Keep in mind most guns are better at reverse than forward. However the torque wrench is still the better option!

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
Nights camping in 2017: 10 nights
Miles traveled in 2017: 1,530
uhduh camping is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:47 AM   #35

whoa lol thats nuts. No pun intended. Glad everything worked out. Things could have go bad quick.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:25 PM   #36

DeWalt was cordless impact I used lol
Old 09-28-2016, 03:37 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTroy View Post
Anyone have advise or a link on how to properly check lug nuts? We don't own a torque wrench, and probably wouldn't know how to use one anyway. Is it time to learn? We tow a Windjammer with a swd Ram.It
Yes it's time to learn - and it's easy.

1. Go to a Harbor Freight and get a 150FT-LB torque wrench for @ $20 (if you go to Lowes it will be twice that much )
  2. While you are at Harbor Freight get sockets to fit the lug nuts on your trailer and truck (again a couple bucks each)
  3. Look in your trailer and truck Owner's Manual for the lug nut torque specs (usually @ 100-110 FT-LBS)
  4. Set the torque wrench to the correct ft-lb (it's a dial and is really easy)
  5. Torque your lug nuts - you put the socket on the torque wrench, and tighten the lug nut - the torque wrench will "click" when the correct torque is reached.
  6. Torque your lugs diagonally from each other in a star pattern (see attached)
  7. do this every time before you break camp - really it is harder to explain than do - it's a 10 min job, tops
Attached Images

Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:10 PM   #38
MCTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Yes it's time to learn - and it's easy.

1. Go to a Harbor Freight and get a 150FT-LB torque wrench for @ $20 (if you go to Lowes it will be twice that much )
  2. While you are at Harbor Freight get sockets to fit the lug nuts on your trailer and truck (again a couple bucks each)
  3. Look in your trailer and truck Owner's Manual for the lug nut torque specs (usually @ 100-110 FT-LBS)
  4. Set the torque wrench to the correct ft-lb (it's a dial and is really easy)
  5. Torque your lug nuts - you put the socket on the torque wrench, and tighten the lug nut - the torque wrench will "click" when the correct torque is reached.
  6. Torque your lugs diagonally from each other in a star pattern (see attached)
  7. do this every time before you break camp - really it is harder to explain than do - it's a 10 min job, tops
Awesome! I always very great advice from the forum. And I love shopping at harbor freight. We just got a new store in troy, Ohio. Anyone traveling through Ohio on I75 it is an easy place to stop in. Thanks!
2016 camping: Lost count, but never enough.
2017 6 nights and more reservations made!
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:38 PM   #39

When torquing the lug nuts on my cars, trucks or the TT, I do it in increments. As an example, I'll do 60 of-ft, 80 lb-ft then 100 lb-ft then one more round at 100. You'll get a lot more even torque that way and less chance of warping a wheel, or worse. It only takes a few extra minutes.

Also, when you store the torque wrench, make sure you run the adjustment down to about 10% of the range of the wrench. I worked in Air Force calibration labs fo 38 years and that was a requirement when we would return the wrench to the customer. Harbor Freight wrenches aren't too bad at all but you have to treat them right. They've had good write ups in car enthusiast magazines and are pretty accurate righ out of the box. Watch for coupons and you can get them for around $12.
Nights camped 2016 - 27
Nights camped 2017

Exlimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:13 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTroy View Post
Awesome! I always very great advice from the forum. And I love shopping at harbor freight. We just got a new store in troy, Ohio. Anyone traveling through Ohio on I75 it is an easy place to stop in. Thanks!
Look or ask for thin walled 6 point sockets!

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
Nights camping in 2017: 10 nights
Miles traveled in 2017: 1,530
uhduh camping is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping