Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #1
Site Team

Camping vs Camping World

Arrived at the campground @ 5:30pm and started setting up. Then I ran into a problem. When I got the power cord out to plug in I noticed the portable surge guard unit I had was for 50 amps instead of 30 amps. Last weekend I had exchanged my portable surge guard protector at CW and the clerk got the replacement unit from the shelf. I was expecting it to look different because of the change with newer units.

The closest CW is about an hour away so I hoped for the best and plugged in without protection. I'm going to make the drive this morning and get it exchanged. I don't have the box or receipt with me but my CW said there shouldn't be any problem considering what happened. I paid something like $224 including the 2 year extended warranty so that's a pretty good price for the 50 amp model.

Didn't plan to spend my camping trip at Camping World.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
Site Team

I have been looking at purchasing a surge guard. Do you mind me asking what went wrong with the original one you exchanged?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #3

wmtire

I got a surge guard at camping world when I got my motorhome. while traveling through Texas in July I stopped at a RV park for the night, when I went to hook up the surge guard flashed a warning for a reverse polarity on their system. after moving to two more site with the same response on the surge guard I got my money back and moved onto the next camp ground down the road. They kept reassuring me that there was nothing wrong with their system pointing to all the RV parked there and no one else was having a problem. But why take the change with a $70-100,000 motorhome. It's cheap protection.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
wmtire

It's cheap protection.
I totally agree, which is why I want (need one). I was wanting to know from the OP what went wrong with theirs, to help in my decision making process. Don't want to purchase a brand that may be prone to problems.

I had already made and use a 30 amp pedestal tester, from info gleaned from here:

http://www.myrv.us/electric/Pg/tester_30amp.htm

http://www.myrv.us/electric/

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I have been looking at purchasing a surge guard. Do you mind me asking what went wrong with the original one you exchanged?
Twice at the same campground / same campsite it stayed in testing mode much too long so I started questioning it. CW said to go ahead and exchange it. I believe in this product and just spent a good portion of the day traveling to get the right unit. I still give it two thumbs up.

Quote:
wmtire

I got a surge guard at camping world when I got my motorhome. while traveling through Texas in July I stopped at a RV park for the night, when I went to hook up the surge guard flashed a warning for a reverse polarity on their system. after moving to two more site with the same response on the surge guard I got my money back and moved onto the next camp ground down the road. They kept reassuring me that there was nothing wrong with their system pointing to all the RV parked there and no one else was having a problem. But why take the change with a $70-100,000 motorhome. It's cheap protection.
Surge guards are like insurance - hope you never need it while providing peace of mind. Mine came in handy the second time I used it. I just arrived at this new campground and got set up before the power went out. There had been brownouts & blackouts. One guy lost his A/C unit the day before my arrivial.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #6
Site Team

Made the 45 minutes trip to CW and got it exchanged. The returning trip wasn't so easy as the freeway traffic was horrible and at a standstill in several areas and took almost two hours to get back to the campsite. I saw the traffic jam on the way down to CW so it didn't come as a surprise. Long drive or not, it was worth going after just for peace of mind.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:50 PM   #7

Terier
Was wondering about your describtion of the trip to CW, Was that the San Bernardino CW and the Cajon pass traffic?
Old 09-01-2012, 09:58 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Terier
Was wondering about your describtion of the trip to CW, Was that the San Bernardino CW and the Cajon pass traffic?
No, it was the La Mirada location & the 5 freeway. I believe not too far from Disneyland and Knotts Berry Farm. The San Bernardino location is where I usually shop. The La Mirada location looked like it had RV rentals and the store looked much smaller. I did noticed a couple of items that the San Bernardino do not carry but I like the overall selection better in San Bernardino. The staff seem more visible in San Bernardino.

While speaking with the La Mirada clerk about the error I mentioned that the 50 amp unit was pricer. Later the manager said that both units were the same price - said he had verified it on the computer. He kept to his story even after I showed him the CW advert with two different prices listed, one for 30 amp & another price for the 50 amp SP.

If all goes well I will make it up the Cajon pass right before Thanksgiving. Between extreme weather and everyone's comments about the pass I have cancel camping plans for Calico Ghost Town more than once. On the way to Las Vegas (not towing) I didn't find anything unusal about the pass that made me worry so I'm going for it, weather permitting. If not, then I have back up reservations at San Clemente SB.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:13 PM   #9

OK I was wondering the wife has family in Apple Valley and I have a brother in Rancho Cucamonga, we were out there in July and made several trips up the pass. Good luck and have a good time.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
Twice at the same campground / same campsite it stayed in testing mode much too long so I started questioning it. CW said to go ahead and exchange it. I believe in this product and just spent a good portion of the day traveling to get the right unit. I still give it two thumbs up.

Surge guards are like insurance - hope you never need it while providing peace of mind. Mine came in handy the second time I used it. I just arrived at this new campground and got set up before the power went out. There had been brownouts & blackouts. One guy lost his A/C unit the day before my arrivial.
SO who would be liable for the damages caused? I always take reading with meter at all campgrounds.
trell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:25 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
OK I was wondering the wife has family in Apple Valley and I have a brother in Rancho Cucamonga, we were out there in July and made several trips up the pass. Good luck and have a good time.
I love Rancho Cucumonga! I lived there for 10 years and had the greatest view of the mountains. It was a quiet city when I first moved there and boy did it grow up fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trell View Post
SO who would be liable for the damages caused? I always take reading with meter at all campgrounds.
I don't know who would be liable. Taking a reading can help but couldn't trouble will still occur after the reading if something goes wrong? I wouldn't had expected major problems at a new campground like the one for the 2011 Fourth of July. We were provided with credit for free camping for the length of our stay.