Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2015, 01:28 AM   #1

Camping with....

So DW and I finally decided to add a pet human to the mix of cats/dogs. That being said he is 5 months old now and as soon as winter ends he should be 14 years old....lol. But seriously, he should be 7ish months old for the maiden voyage. Anyone have any experience camping with newborns. Tips/tricks, what did you bring or wish you would have brought on your first trip? We have a 2015 grey wolf 28bhks, so should be enough room. We leave the cats at home but the husky and a chocolate lab tag along. We have camped with the pups before, which proves interesting but at the time had a much smaller camper.
NavySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:01 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I have seen where people bring a pack and play. They lower the dinette table to sleeping position and set the pack and play up on that for the baby to sleep in. For bug spray IIRC you can't use regular off insect spray on infants (anything with deet in it is out). We used to use Avon skin so soft. They had a bug repellent cream that was safe. I forget what exactly it was called but skin so soft oil is a bug repellent too. We used to use it on horses for that.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:33 AM   #3
RV Nomad

Our pack n play had screen mesh sides, and my wife bought a screen mesh top that fit over the top of the unit and fit snug with an elastic band sewn into it. No need to put anything on the child to keep bugs away. Used it all the time at home, too. Always kept bugs out.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:31 PM   #4
Always Learning

We camped with my son from about 6 week onward. We used a pack and play until he was a little over 2. You can't imagine how much room they take up in a camper until you have one setup. But, it was the only viable solution for us.

As for bugs- we used Thermacells and they did a good job of keeping the area clear. Worst case, if the bugs got bad- we went inside.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
We camped with my son from about 6 week onward. We used a pack and play until he was a little over 2. You can't imagine how much room they take up in a camper until you have one setup. But, it was the only viable solution for us.

As for bugs- we used Thermacells and they did a good job of keeping the area clear. Worst case, if the bugs got bad- we went inside.
Very similar to us. My youngest was born July 4th and we camped for 10 days beginning July 24th that year. Easiest time we've ever had camping with her was that year. We found a small portable crib that laid on the couch or dinette cushions. It was basically a fabric covered huge shoebox (about 16 x 30) with a think mattress, and it has Velcro straps to secure it down. I've got two older daughters that were in the bunks. Thermacell and camp fogger, done early, worked well for bugs when she was outside. She's now 2 1/2 and loves camping. Sleeps on bunkhouse couch with a homemade Bedrail to prevent her falling out. You could do the same for your bunks easy enough. I used PVC pipe for the frame and my wife made a quick Velcro cover for the rail side.

Happy Campin!
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:03 PM   #6

I am also in your same boat except mine will be 10 months old when we take with him for the first time. We have already taken him out in our sidexside twice he seems to like it but falls asleep after about 5 minutes. As for taking stuff I'm sure it's gonna be a trial and error thing. Once you think you have everything you need you will have forgot something. We have a packnplay we will be taking also for him to sleep in. With the way my wife packs for her self I'm not to worried about her not packing enough for him. Did you know you need 20 pairs of sweatpants for a weekend trip. Well I didn't either till I watched my wife pack. Haha. All kidding aside no matter what you are going to have fun regardless if you forget something.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:15 PM   #7

We took our son who is almost 16 mo now to Myrtle beach from Illinois when he was 6mo old, the worst part was the drive for him, he has camped ever since than and sleeps in a pack and play in the bunkhouse. He loves being outside and sleeping the bunkhouse does not seem to bother him, in fact he takes better naps either outside in the pnp or in the camper than he does at home. We also used the elastic bug nest for him. I am going to build a anti-fall out rail for the bunk this ear for him to sleep in so we do not have to take the pnp and take up all that room. He is now very mobile on his feet so I am sure our trip to Tennessee will be interesting along with our summer at our seasonal site. You will figure out what you do and do not need to bring, my wife seemingly brought his entire room with us but we still needed to grab a thing or two, it happens, sit back, relax, and enjoy your time together.
https://www.epgsoft.com/visited-stat...00&format=jpeg
scayne62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:47 PM   #8

Thanks for the tips everyone. I did not even think about the screen for the pnp, looked it up on amazon and pretty good deal for $9. I was curious so I looked up rails on amazon and they have foam ones that you place under the sheet, not sure if anyone has ever used those. The pvc rail is a great idea and will most likely go that route since it would cost me like $10 to make one. Just looking forward to getting out there, so tough to see the camper sitting out in the snow all be itself, with nobody to hang out with.
NavySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 01:27 PM   #9

When our granddaughter was 3 months old, we went out west(2000 mile drive, one way). Our son & his wife and baby followed in their truck but stayed in the toy hauler with us. We used a fold up play pen for the wee one to sleep in. She traveled very well. It worked out pretty good with the 5 of us in there. I've always told the kids that our trailers are only comfortable for two....but after we got our present 35ft 5er they still insisted on staying with us...with their bouvier/lab mix dog.Now they and the other 2 kids have their own trailers. So our granddaughter is 7 years old and she has an almost 3 year old brother. They enjoy dry camping with us and their parents & will stay in our 5er for sleep overs. I cannot believe what our daughter in law packs. A semi trailer would almost not be big enough...
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 01:35 PM   #10

Our baby is 21....... Years that is but we got the bunk house for our grandson he's 2-3/4 and we just put an extra mattress on the floor under the bed edge to catch him if he falls only done it 2 times so far (I think he's learning not to roll around) it's not even an issue for him the second time he got up mumbled something and crawled back in bed. Come to think of it our youngest son did that the other night he stayed over, different reason for falling out of bed and I can't repeat what he said
Old 02-13-2015, 02:03 PM   #11

Both our girls started camping at 4 weeks, and now are seasoned campers
They both used a pack n play that we kept in the camper, i didnt want to have to drag one from the house to the camper and then back to the camper when done for the weekend. The oldest (three and a half) has the bunk room to herself for now as the almost two year old still sleeps in the pack n play in the front closet.
We just tried to keep it as much like home as we could for their sleeping environment and that seemed to work really well.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:52 PM   #12

We also started camping with our daughter when she was young. I think a few months if I remember correctly. We bought a travel sized pack and play. It's not too small but definitely smaller than a full sized one. Go for start them young. Mine really enjoys camping. She is just shy of two.

Tim
Vengeance touring edition 39R12
2012 Ram 3500 DRW
riznfall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping