Old 10-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #1

Camping without hookup

Help a newbie out. I think some called it "dry" camping? Anyways, I got 2 days on Dec 22-24 at Doheny State Beach in CA.

Since this site has no hookups, I have a few questions.

1) Would I be able to run the frig on propane with just the 12v battery? Would it drain my battery in 2 days. I am guessing I need to run the generator a few hours a day to charge the battery? I am assuming its with the heater?

I need to look for a generator soon. Looking at the Honda 2000 .

2) If I need to load fresh water (about 36 gallons right on the dual axle), would I need to adjust the equalizer hitch/sway? Trailer is 22 ft from bumper to tongue with about 3926 dry weight with 416 tongue weight . We don't pack much.

I know they have a dump station there but going to call if they have fresh water supply

Old 10-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
Site Team

Were you able to get a ocean view site? Have you been to this cg before? If not why not take a day trip to check it out? Pack a picnic lunch, see where the water faucets are located and then afterwards enjoy the afternoon at the day park at Doheny.

Chances are that you will need to run the generator to charge the battery if its the typical battery that comes with the RV.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
Were you able to get a ocean view site? Have you been to this cg before? If not why not take a day trip to check it out? Pack a picnic lunch, see where the water faucets are located and then afterwards enjoy the afternoon at the day park at Doheny.

Chances are that you will need to run the generator to charge the battery if its the typical battery that comes with the RV.

Never been there before. We camped at san clemente last summer (near by). No ocean view . Got site #2, pull thru that looks like you can see the ocean from the internet.

I am assuming we can run the frig on propane with the 12V battery for a few hours (when we are away from the trailer and no generator is running).
Old 10-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #4
Site Team

I'm a lifer of San Clemente SB and usually stay in site #57 because of the end cap and ocean view (limited). The only way you would be able to see the ocean from site #2 is if the front row was empty. I do like site #1 because of the extra space - great for gatherings.

You should be able to run the battery for a while but the problem would be determining how long. You could try it at home while monitoring it before your trip. Do you have access to a generator that you might borrow? Since tech knowledge is limited I can't offer much - sorry.

campsitephotos.com is a site I use to get a peek at campsites.

Some of Dohney sites are tight or on the small side. Someday I will stay there but it will need to be one of the pull through sites. My neighbors tent camp there regularly.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:25 PM   #5

Site 2 is a pull thru. One of the longest at that CG. I read a few reviewers said most sites have to be backup up even though its a pull thru cause you will be facing the wrong side.

Doheny State Beach-2 - Doheny State Beach Campsite Photos - campsitephotos.com

I just called and they told me there is a dump station and fresh water supply there.

No generator. But I might buy the one at costco or a Honda 2000.

Btw, I stayed at site 40 in San Clemente last time.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #6

I would not get my drinking water from a spigot near the dump station. People do crazy things and there is surely poop on it, in it and around it.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #7
Moderators' Assistant

the fridge uses very little of your battery's power. it's the furnace that eats up battery power.
if you don't use the furnace and are conservative with lights and such, you can get two days out of one battery.

otherwise, you'll need a second matching battery in parallel or a generator.
the one at Costco will be loud unless it's the Champion 2000w inverter generator. our Costcos in NorCal don't carry them, just the loud open-framed ones.

i don't re-adjust my Equalizer, whether i carry a full FW tank or not.
you should be fine either way.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #8
john I

Fridge... depending on battery and charge you can go three or four days, but you also have lights, water heater,and water pump if you use them figure about 24 hours. If you use the heater forgetaboutit get the generator.
1963 5'2" wife Sheri
johnemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:25 PM   #9

Do some of you only get a day out of your battery? I have dry camped for 3 and 4 nights without recharging; nor even getting close to running low. (Never below 12 volts.) A couple of the 3 nighters have been with lows below 0 C (32F.)

Of course that is with LED bulbs; which makes a huge difference. I also crank the furnace up to 22 C (72F) before bed; then lower it to 16 (61F) and go under the blankets. We have also made use of the TV (2-3 hours per night) and didn't ration water.

I like what was said above; try it out in your driveway before heading out. I have also used a volt meter and turned on devices to get a general idea of how much power I am drawing on any given device.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:58 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntrac View Post
Site 2 is a pull thru. One of the longest at that CG. I read a few reviewers said most sites have to be backup up even though its a pull thru cause you will be facing the wrong side.

Doheny State Beach-2 - Doheny State Beach Campsite Photos - campsitephotos.com

I just called and they told me there is a dump station and fresh water supply there.

No generator. But I might buy the one at costco or a Honda 2000.

Btw, I stayed at site 40 in San Clemente last time.
Dohney site 2 is the one I like too. The other two pull thru's are a bit more unlevel. Site 1 looks nice too but not a pull thru- wonder if it used to be? Not sure why the other people didn't enter from the other direction - looks possible but site 2 looks better anyway. Haven't stay at Dohney yet - almost did but there were strong winter storms that flooded the campground so we ended up in San Diego instead.

I've been thinking about a generator too. Just not ready to pull the tigger yet so I added a second battery and upgraded the original battery. Still got to watch the battery usage but know I can go a few days without any problems.