Old 06-26-2014, 06:34 PM   #11
We just got back from Big bear for a week without the teenaged daughter and two fuzzy puppies. It was the recharge that we needed! Not having to hear "I'm bored!" Or the fuzzy ones getting tangled in their cables every two hours- it all made it a much more peaceful time. Going to try to plan at least one of those a year now.

2014 Stealth Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7 "Clifford"

2014 Stealth Evo 2850- "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7- "Clifford"
2013 Honda Accord Coupe V6 w/Track Pack- "Julia"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:36 PM   #12
Enjoy!!! We just did this a few weekends ago! 2 nights and 2 days to do whatever we wanted. We have 8 kids and since our oldest son was born 19 years ago, we probably had a total of 3 overnights without kids before this trip. We plan to do it once a summer from now on.

2500 Chevy Express
Nights camped 2013-22
mom28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:46 PM   #13
We're in the empty nester group. His sons and my sons are all *way* grown and live out of state.

Quite frankly, I spent my share of camping with my head on a swivel....always on alert, never totally in relax mode back when my three sons were little.

I've gotta admit, it being just the two of us is awesome! Well, just the two of us plus Fred. I think he'd have heart failure if we pulled out and left him home. He keeps me from being a total sloth while camping...gotta take him for a "pee tour" every 30 minutes it seems. BUT, he's finally gotten used to us sleeping a tad late in the mornings while camping (instead of up at 5 AM) and doesn't run for the door if we even so much as shift our feet in bed and it's semi-daylight outside.

Called on our warranty work today and the final two replacement items will arrive tomorrow...right on time it appears for our July 1st schedule for pick-up! That'll make us all happy; me, DH and also Fred as he will have his big doghouse on wheels back in the back yard! (he still looks for it every time he goes out)

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:54 PM   #14
I have two girls 6 and 8 that love to camp as much as we do and we love camping with them. That being said we always plan a once a year Adults only trip with our friends (who all have kids in the same age range). This gives us an unwind and relax day in which we play games, ride bikes, sleep in, and enjoy several beverages together.

Originally Posted by ryand View Post
My parents have been great as they enjoy the time with the grand kids but we are not ones to abuse this as there will come a time when we lean on them for a multiple day stay at camp grandpa/grandma.
From when our kids were young I was of the opinion that we we didn't want to rely on grandparents to watch them all the time, but truth be told we couldn't do it without them nor would they want us to! They all enjoy spending time with the kids by themselves and my folks who live 3 hours away will volunteer to come down and spend the night or weekend with our girls. My in laws live only 5 minutes away and never hesitate to just watch the girls so the wife and I can go shopping or run to a movie. While I sometimes feel like we are imposing on them, I have to remind myself that they are all building memories that neither will forget, and they all love our children as much as we do.

Unfortunately I don't have those memories with my grandparents, but that also reminds me of how important it is for both the children and grandparents. So my advice to you is to talk with your or your wife's parents and get their opinion as well. If they don't feel like you are imposing, then you should not feel like you are either.

Originally Posted by ryand View Post
In the last 2 years, we have had a night with out kids only 4 times.
You both need some you (together) time as well, no matter how short of a duration it is!!! But doing an overnighter at grandma and grandpa's now, preps them for a weekend overnight visit or a five day journey so you and your wife can getaway to somewhere like Mexico!

...... End psychological/counseling advice .....
Jack of all trades - Master of none
2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2014 Sabre 36QBOK
QCCowboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:30 PM   #15
We are empty nesters as well. My 3 are all grown and DW 4 are on their own more or less youngest still comes home once and a while.
B and B
2013 Rockwood 8289 Diamond Edition
GY D's/2.5 inch lift kit/Powerhouse 4 KW EFI Generator
2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4
2008 Golden Falcon 380PA Park Model Model

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:47 PM   #16

We have been taking the kids, thier friends and nieces/nephews since we started RVing in 1999. 15yrs and 4 RVs later we had our first "us" only camping weekend. It was heavenly bliss! The 24& 22 yr olds have thier own lives and visit when we camp close by. The 12yr old has been to 3 consecutive summer camps. Told the DW this was a test run for what retirement will look looking like in 6 yrs. Its great to reconnect and get a glimpse of the future.
2013 Sabre 36QBOK
2008 Ford F350 King Ranch CC DRW 6.4l, 4.10 diff
B&W companion
Airlift system/on board compressor

speedcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:13 PM   #17
Site Team
We have a 7 yr old DD. Our parents all live far away (closest is my parents at 6 hrs away, same goes for our siblings). We never really get a chance to have an over nighter away since we moved south. We do have occasional date nights where DD has a babysitter or another activity. We were lucky enough last year that we got yo have 2 camping nights without DD. My parents came down and watched her so she could stay in school while we met up with a group of friends. My very sweet parents drove from MD (north of Baltimore) to NC (west of Durham) to babysit and then they drove to Endless Caverns in VA to meet up with us. They stayed overnight in the tt with us and then headed back home. It was a great experience to have. I wish I could arrange that more but I also feel like I'm depriving DD of some wonderful experiences by not taking her. Take your trip, cherish the you time and come back all the better parents for having had the break to recharge for the kids.
<a href= target=_blank></a>
2014 Crew Cab Chevy Silverado 3500 4wd Duramax/Allison
2014 Sabre 34REQS-6
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:18 PM   #18
Being "empty nesters" I guess I have a different take on things. Our oldest granddaughter (age 13 at the time) and I went out for a week camping by ourselves. 2 years later she found out that we were taking a 2 week trip out of state and told us she will have her clothes ready to go and have a permission letter from her Mom as we were going out of state. Just lucky I guess that the Grandchildren love to go with us.
Al and Deb
Sarge, Sugar and Ginger
2006 Silverado "Predator"
2011 Greywolf 26rl "Wounded Wolf"
camped 2013 94 days 2014 24 days

nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:20 PM   #19
Been able to go without kids for 7 yrs just wish they could function with out their mother would be a wonderful thing. We go away and her phone rings and they have a crisis and some of the problems they come up with. Never seem to be able to enjoy ourselves, had 3 days once the wife dropped her phone in the river and I couldn't find it. Yes I know my wife is an enabler. Can't wait till they turn 50 so we can call them and tell them our troubles and bother them when they want peace and quiet.
Think about things before you do them make life easier not harder.
mark0224 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:45 PM   #20
We're REALLY empty nesters. I'm coming up on 73 and DW will be 70 in August. We were married on her 20th birthday, so this year is our Golden Anniversary.

The youngest of our four children is in his mid-forties and we have 6 grandkids ranging from 24 to 2 and a half and a step-grandson in his early 30s. The youngest one lives in Japan, so we don't see her in person more than about once a year. Thank goodness for Skype!

We're having a big "do" for the anniversary and birthdays (it's my sister's 70th 6 days before my wife's) on the Sunday of the Labor Day weekend. We'll have my UK-resident brother and sister over, along with Japan-resident son and grand-daughter. Our three daughters and two spouses live in western Washington, all within 120 miles.

The party (catered) will have about 50 people attending and we'll have it in one of our community facilites right on the shore of the Burrows Channel. Look up Anacortes on Google and input "Skyline Cabana" if you want to see where we'll be. It's at the western end of "Cabana Lane".

As you can imagine, our utilsation of the RV between now and early September will be zero! A neat feature of Allstate's insurance on RVs is that, if it's parked completely off-road, you can suspend the on-road liability coverage. Saves a bunch of money if you're not using it. We park it alongside the garage and the tail is about 20 feet from the curb.

Mark - we managed to get out from under that dependency thing relatively early (not quite sure how). Maybe it was un-noticed fall-out from the fact that DW and I emigrated from the UK with two small children back in 1968. We managed, and, on the whole so have our kids.

Frank and Eileen
No longer RVers or FR owners
F and E Damp is offline   Reply With Quote