Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2014, 09:04 PM   #21

We are headed out tomorrow for a few days camping. I asked my son if he wanted to come. He said "of course, I don't want to spend the weekend home alone". He's 25.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:16 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
We are headed out tomorrow for a few days camping. I asked my son if he wanted to come. He said "of course, I don't want to spend the weekend home alone". He's 25.

I remember back when I was about 16 or so, my folks would go camping all the time without me. Often without even telling me. I'd just come home from work on Friday night and they'd not be there. Sunday would roll around and they'd come strolling in while I've been home alone all weekend wondering where they are. (This was pre "everybody's got a cell phone" days.)

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 06-26-2014, 11:43 PM   #23
Site Team

ryand - Sometimes we need a temporary change from the usual routine. I know that you guys will make the most of your quiet time away.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:56 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp View Post
We're REALLY empty nesters. I'm coming up on 73 and DW will be 70 in August. We were married on her 20th birthday, so this year is our Golden Anniversary.

The youngest of our four children is in his mid-forties and we have 6 grandkids ranging from 24 to 2 and a half and a step-grandson in his early 30s. The youngest one lives in Japan, so we don't see her in person more than about once a year. Thank goodness for Skype!

We're having a big "do" for the anniversary and birthdays (it's my sister's 70th 6 days before my wife's) on the Sunday of the Labor Day weekend. We'll have my UK-resident brother and sister over, along with Japan-resident son and grand-daughter. Our three daughters and two spouses live in western Washington, all within 120 miles.

The party (catered) will have about 50 people attending and we'll have it in one of our community facilites right on the shore of the Burrows Channel. Look up Anacortes on Google and input "Skyline Cabana" if you want to see where we'll be. It's at the western end of "Cabana Lane".

As you can imagine, our utilsation of the RV between now and early September will be zero! A neat feature of Allstate's insurance on RVs is that, if it's parked completely off-road, you can suspend the on-road liability coverage. Saves a bunch of money if you're not using it. We park it alongside the garage and the tail is about 20 feet from the curb.

Mark - we managed to get out from under that dependency thing relatively early (not quite sure how). Maybe it was un-noticed fall-out from the fact that DW and I emigrated from the UK with two small children back in 1968. We managed, and, on the whole so have our kids.
First congratulations on the Anniversary and second on the birthdays.
Her kids range from 39 to 26 and they still call if they have a sniffle, grand kids 10 total range from 17 to 1 yr old and now they are starting to do the same, between my work and her kids and grand kids I never see her. Hope it all stops sometime in the next year when I retire. My parents were like you emigrated (from Canada) guess that's why I don't understand we were raised different, no grandparents to go to for help.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:17 AM   #25

My wife and I get the kid free weekends some times whether we want it or not. My daughter is actually my stepdaughter so we have obligations that we have to work around. Some times it's really nice to just be the wife and me, but we have a ton of fun when we have our li'l 6 year old.

I do agree though, a weekend alone as a husband and wife is very important. During the school year we have our daughter probably 90% of the time, so by the time she goes to her dad's we really enjoy the freedom.
DFW Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:30 AM   #26

I understand the allure of a kid-free weekend and camping, but I would have hell to pay from my kids, 7 and 10, if we took off camping without them. Fortunately at this age, I'm not rubbernecking the whole weekend and can let them stray a little bit. But that also depends heavily on the campground and any camp neighbors we might have...
BeagleIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:39 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryand View Post
In the last 2 years, we have had a night with out kids only 4 times.
in the last 12 years we have had prob 10 nights with out kids, that is 0 overnights, but i get overnights because of work

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:41 AM   #28

BeagleIL-I would think that when our kids hit those ages it will be tough to get away...at 2 and 5 the grandparents house is where its at. Endless cookies, tractor rides and general craziness. In the few times we have left both of them with my parents, we need to have a rehab/behavior reality check when they return home!!
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:10 AM   #29

Coming in from the other angle on this one. As a old person all grown up now, I think back at all the times when mom and dad took me camping in the old canvas tent. Those are times I cherish and remember so well. As few times as we went, I'm so glad they went through the trouble of providing those experiences. I really enjoyed them.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:21 AM   #30

Mind you I wouldn't mind taking a grand kid or 2 with us but just can't get why their parents are so needy of their mother. I to loved going with my parents but wouldn't think about calling them to ask them what to do when I was over 20. Can't even go on a day trip without her phone ringing, got to get her to leave it at home. Adult Kids need to get a life and quit crying.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:18 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0224 View Post
Mind you I wouldn't mind taking a grand kid or 2 with us but just can't get why their parents are so needy of their mother. I to loved going with my parents but wouldn't think about calling them to ask them what to do when I was over 20. Can't even go on a day trip without her phone ringing, got to get her to leave it at home. Adult Kids need to get a life and quit crying.
You can try the approach my folks did. When I first moved out Mom bought me this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Wheres-Mom-Now.../dp/0961539011
Old 07-03-2014, 05:36 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Her kids wouldn't take the time to read it or they would bring it over for her to read them story hour. If you could see me rolling my eyes right now.
I truthfully think the only way to stop it is to move away and force them to fen for themselves. Next yr I can retire and we are looking to downsize and it will happen then.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:22 PM   #33

Rv'ing/camping without kids? Hell yeah. We are empty nester's now. Our last child joined the Navy a year ago, and thats about the time we bought our first TT. We have just celebrated or 32nd wedding anniversary. 30.5 of those years were with kids at home.

Our oldest is a structural engineer in San Francisco, our Daughter is a restaurant manager, and our youngest is a Boatswain Mate in the U.S. Navy, and we are free to do whatever we want to. We have had kids around us our entire lives, and now it's our time to have some fun. We always camped with the kids, and brought them all to many National parks, and sites around the U.S. Being in the military also gave us all a chance to move around and see other places.

Were really just getting started with the RV thing, and have been on 10 trips so far in so many months. We are definitely digging camping without kids. Although we do have dogs, and sometimes they can be a challenge.
Jammer3025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:37 PM   #34

Camping without kids? Won't happen for a while... Spending more QT with our DS10 and DD7 is the reason we bought the camper... So maybe in a few years, but not quite yet. To be honest, right now, that thought doesn't even appeal to me.

2014 Rockwood 2306 w/Murphy Bed
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 07-05-2014, 05:20 PM   #35

We have a 4 year old grandson that lives at our home with his mom, I love them both very much, but there is something to be said about quite time. In the last 22 weeks this is only the 6th weekend that we have been home. Yes we do take them with us sometimes, I like it best when it is just the two of us and the two little dogs.

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:53 PM   #36
NELA

I've heard it quoted often:

The BEST thing parents can give to their children is quality time *alone* together.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:52 PM   #37

Current situation...with no kids!!!! I love them but this is well deserved!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1404611426.863802.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	694.9 KB
ID:	57226

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:59 PM   #38
NELA

Deserved is the operative word.

Keeping that relationship alive as husband and wife is *imperative*!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:07 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
Deserved is the operative word.

Keeping that relationship alive as husband and wife is *imperative*!
That's no problem Just wish adult kids would take some initiative to be self sufficient for the weeks we go away. They always seem to have one crisis after another. Their mother is disabled and can't do all they demand of her an I'm working 55 hrs a week plus taking care of our home, so I can't help her.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:08 PM   #40

Thanks for all the input sometimes it's easier to vent to a person you never see and this topic just hit home.

Tags
camping