Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2018, 07:38 AM   #1

Camping world Experience..

Nah it was all good honestly! I had read bad reviews here (justified no doubt)
But when they offered to give us 5K more for our 1.5 year old camper than the purchasing dealer, I HAD to take a look at them.
We ended up with a 2018 Cherokee Limited 304 bh.. Salesman spent almost an hour past closing just walking the lot with us tire kicking before we even started paper work on the one we chose.
A week Later (yesterday) we took our trade in to be checked out and pick up the new camper.. Walkthrough was VERY thorough, the only thing I did not like was not being allowed to inspect the roof because of liability concerns. They did give me 30 days once I get home to inspect it and report any shortcomings and they will come to my house and reseal anything.

The Kicker is the hitch setup.. I had spent a fair amount of time getting my hitch dialed in and they came in and said the new camper tongue sits 4" lower than my old one, so they needed a longer shank than I had ( I was already bottomed out)
I had visions of a sloppy job and not really measured and setup right.
They set it up level and I got on the interstate, no sway at all. Got home an measured my front fender with the tongue weight and without, and was within 1/2 inch of one another, perfectly livable..

Not a bad experience at all!
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:10 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
Nah it was all good honestly! I had read bad reviews here (justified no doubt)
But when they offered to give us 5K more for our 1.5 year old camper than the purchasing dealer, I HAD to take a look at them.
We ended up with a 2018 Cherokee Limited 304 bh.. Salesman spent almost an hour past closing just walking the lot with us tire kicking before we even started paper work on the one we chose.
A week Later (yesterday) we took our trade in to be checked out and pick up the new camper.. Walkthrough was VERY thorough, the only thing I did not like was not being allowed to inspect the roof because of liability concerns. They did give me 30 days once I get home to inspect it and report any shortcomings and they will come to my house and reseal anything.

The Kicker is the hitch setup.. I had spent a fair amount of time getting my hitch dialed in and they came in and said the new camper tongue sits 4" lower than my old one, so they needed a longer shank than I had ( I was already bottomed out)
I had visions of a sloppy job and not really measured and setup right.
They set it up level and I got on the interstate, no sway at all. Got home an measured my front fender with the tongue weight and without, and was within 1/2 inch of one another, perfectly livable..

Not a bad experience at all!
My experience was very similar. Camping World had the only floorplan nearby that we wanted. When we went to look at the camper and the salesman stayed well after closing to go through it with us. We were actually on our way home from a camping trip so we had our trade in with us, which he looked at. Everything went great. Then, after we purchased it, came warranty issues. After a couple of months we found things wrong or things broke. I tried to call them to get things fixed but the person that I needed to speak to wasn't in and they never returned my call.
Let us know in a few months if you still feel the same way. Hopefully you will have better luck than I did. Good luck and happy camping.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by saus View Post
My experience was very similar. Camping World had the only floorplan nearby that we wanted. When we went to look at the camper and the salesman stayed well after closing to go through it with us. We were actually on our way home from a camping trip so we had our trade in with us, which he looked at. Everything went great. Then, after we purchased it, came warranty issues. After a couple of months we found things wrong or things broke. I tried to call them to get things fixed but the person that I needed to speak to wasn't in and they never returned my call.
Let us know in a few months if you still feel the same way. Hopefully you will have better luck than I did. Good luck and happy camping.
Yea that was a concern.. But my particular camping world seems to get fairly high marks in service work (google reviews). The kicker is that they are 10 minutes from my office so If I don't get calls returned , I simply drive over there.
I did spend a good bit of time one on one with the service manager and got shown around the inside of their shop, etc.. We will see!
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
Yea that was a concern.. But my particular camping world seems to get fairly high marks in service work (google reviews). The kicker is that they are 10 minutes from my office so If I don't get calls returned , I simply drive over there.
I did spend a good bit of time one on one with the service manager and got shown around the inside of their shop, etc.. We will see!
It sounds like they may be run better than the one I went to. That would be great. Also a big advantage if you can drop by to see them. It would be even better if you never have a reason to call them. I hope that things work out well. Good luck.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:36 AM   #5

Camping World dealers are like any other business. Some of them are great some of them aren't. The one near me close to the coast has been good. I am amazed at how poorly some businesses are run.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:19 PM   #6
Citrus County, Fl.

I am friends with a salesman who works at a CW near me. He said they have the worst service dept in the state.

Your walk thru should be thorough since they charge for it.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:03 AM   #7
Road Trippin

I bought my 2017 Forrester at a CW near Phoenix, AZ. My trade in RV was a 2008 fifth wheel I had at my home in California. As far west as you can go. I couldn't give away that fifth wheel here in CA even though it was in decent shape for an almost 10 year old coach. Without even looking at it they agreed to the trade in, gave me a fair trade in value and sent a guy from Phoenix to my house to pick it up and drive it back. I've read a lot of headaches with CW but so far I've had nothing but positive experiences. Granted I haven't needed to utilize their service department yet...that may be a different story. As for now I have nothing bad to say.
pismolocal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping