Old 08-22-2015, 04:35 PM   #1

Angry Camping World major holds

Just learned if you order something online from Camping World more than $500 it is placed on a 11+ day hold to see if your credit card clears. Yep. That really happened. I could go in the store and walk out with the product. Order online or thru the call center - well, our order will take at least 2 weeks to arrive. (They just released it from the hold after I called. They do not send out order status info like eBAY does on items that cost as little as $3.) Bottom line - Guess I shop only in their stores. If buying on line, I will call the next day asking when will it ship?

Old 08-22-2015, 05:16 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

I generally find things cheaper on Amazon or other local stores before going to camping world.. They are a good source for stuff when I am out and stuck but other than that I gave up on ordering from them unless I had no other choice. Never had an issue while in their stores though. BTW, welcome.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:09 PM   #3

Camping World major holds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahallstrom View Post
Just learned if you order something online from Camping World more than $500 it is placed on a 11+ day hold to see if your credit card clears. Yep. That really happened. I could go in the store and walk out with the product. Order online or thru the call center - well, our order will take at least 2 weeks to arrive. (They just released it from the hold after I called. They do not send out order status info like eBAY does on items that cost as little as $3.) Bottom line - Guess I shop only in their stores. If buying on line, I will call the next day asking when will it ship?

Did someone tell you that all orders over $500 are placed on an 11+ day hold? They advertise 10 - 14 days shipping time so it wouldn't surprise me if they sit on it until the last minute. Perhaps that's their motivation to get you to pay for expedited shipping. Just my thoughts.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:22 PM   #4

I will do without before buying from them in store or otherwise.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:30 PM   #5

I have to wonder if they are having serious money problems. I have been in the local store several times in the past few months. Many shelves are empty. I asked what was going on and the employee said they were "having problems with their ordering system". The last time I saw these symptoms in a big box store, they didn't last long. Hope I'm wrong for sure, though.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:37 PM   #6
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
I have to wonder if they are having serious money problems. I have been in the local store several times in the past few months. Many shelves are empty. I asked what was going on and the employee said they were "having problems with their ordering system". The last time I saw these symptoms in a big box store, they didn't last long. Hope I'm wrong for sure, though.
If they are having money issues they sure are popping out stores like rabbits. Every catalog I get they are announcing another new store so it seems.

We just bought a sewer tote from the store in Tom's River, NJ and they were packed with trailers and inventory on the shelves. Very friendly and helpful as well BTW.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
Old 08-22-2015, 08:45 PM   #7

Ha, that is pretty much the business model of big boxes. Phar-Mor, Blockbuster and Circuit City did the same thing. Like I said, I hope they are just working out some technical issues. For my part a hold on my order would mean my business would go elsewhere which won't help their bottom dollar. . .
Old 08-22-2015, 08:51 PM   #8
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
Ha, that is pretty much the business model of big boxes. Phar-Mor, Blockbuster and Circuit City did the same thing. Like I said, I hope they are just working out some technical issues. For my part a hold on my order would mean my business would go elsewhere which won't help their bottom dollar. . .
Yeah, even without the hold it goes elsewhere for me. I was just stuck and needed the item. Othewise I'd Primed it on Amazon... Thought about returning it after the weekend and getting it for the cheaper price online...

2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
Old 08-22-2015, 11:00 PM   #9

The price is a lot more in store than online also.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-22-2015, 11:25 PM   #10

TheCW store where I live will match any online price, even sale items that are on the CW online site.

As for putting a 'hold' on your items for 11 days. That sounds kind of bogus/strange (not questioning the poster), because when ever I use my CC for anything over the 'phone', the person on the other end will 'run the card' and say, "It has cleared and your CC is OK".

imo, these 'hold' items may be coming from a third party vender, just guessing.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping