Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2016, 09:25 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
In all seriousness, treat someone's campsite like you would their yard. Unless invited, or you need to speak with them for some reason, stay out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Exactly right. Just because we are there to relax and have a good time does not mean our expectation of basic good manners has to be suspended.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:38 AM   #42
Site Team

I hate people cutting through my site because in my case, it's absolutely a safety issue. I have two dogs that are out on leads. If they are on my site and minding their own business and someone decides to cut through, they will jump up and run towards them and bark at them.

Neither one of them has ever hurt anyone (they just bark a lot) but they will certainly scare the crap out of someone and then a million and one things could go wrong. They could wrap the persons legs up in their leads, the person could trip over them, the person could start running and hurt themselves etc...

Then of course I'm responsible even though I didn't do anything wrong.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:58 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I hate people cutting through my site because in my case, it's absolutely a safety issue. I have two dogs that are out on leads. If they are on my site and minding their own business and someone decides to cut through, they will jump up and run towards them and bark at them.

Neither one of them has ever hurt anyone (they just bark a lot) but they will certainly scare the crap out of someone and then a million and one things could go wrong. They could wrap the persons legs up in their leads, the person could trip over them, the person could start running and hurt themselves etc...

Then of course I'm responsible even though I didn't do anything wrong.
That's it, Solution: DOGS!!!

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:06 AM   #44

Most of the post I see on this activity seems to be in state or federal campgrounds and I've seen this activity at State parks that I've stayed at. The thing is these are not private camp sites and people are going to walk through where they want to because it's a public park and they just don't care. One thing to is that these campgrounds are usually cheaper and that attracts a certain type of people. The main thing is, be nice and try to enjoy. Happy Camping
Old 06-27-2016, 10:36 AM   #45

We have 2 Labs that we always bring with us but we are on a 3 month camping trip and didn't bring them. Maybe that is why it has never been an issue before. Lakejumper, funny you should mention placing something in the path. Our neighbor tenters flew out west to go camping. I guess they bought supplies once they arrived and could not take everything back with them. They offered us what they couldn't use which included 2 plastic chairs, great for sitting in the river to cool off. We found a perfect place to put them when not sitting in the river and of course will leave them for the next people after us. Most campers are fine people.
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
lablover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:41 AM   #46
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
Most of the post I see on this activity seems to be in state or federal campgrounds and I've seen this activity at State parks that I've stayed at. The thing is these are not private camp sites and people are going to walk through where they want to because it's a public park and they just don't care. One thing to is that these campgrounds are usually cheaper and that attracts a certain type of people. The main thing is, be nice and try to enjoy. Happy Camping
Actually....just recently a similar thread started was started and the OP was staying at a KOA....

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:11 AM   #47
(Dry Huunday)

The flyswatter...YYYEEESSS!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:13 AM   #48

I am not advocating this creative idea but, in my mind I would leave a few gravel rakes laying around the site.

Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:18 AM   #49

As long as you are not:
stealing,
leaving a mess,
making a lot of noise after hours,
tripping over hoses, cords, personal items,
feel free to walk thru our campsite...and we'll be sure to stay away from yours if you feel otherwise...
Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff...
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:25 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by lablover View Post
I am not a mean person and asked nicely to go a different way. He responded with "but my campsite is right over there" as he and his whole family continued to walk on through our site. His last remark was a snide "have a nice vacation ". I mean if he had at least asked, I would have been okay with that. What's wrong with these people?
Here is where the value of camping with a pair of large dogs comes in
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:12 PM   #51

We camped and floated at Blue Springs Ranch in Bourbon MO this last weekend. This is by no means a bash on the owners or their employees because they are always great. Apparently the people who stayed in the cabin next to our campsite either have never camped before or just not often enough to learn basic campground etiquette. The very first night, one of the drunk people from the cabin walked right through the middle of our campsite because they knew the people staying 3 campsites down from them. So about 45 minutes later he comes back through and decides it was a good time to stop and chat while we were sitting down to dinner. I let him know we were eating, in case he couldn't tell, and asked him to continue on his journey. The next morning while my wife was out walking the dogs, more people from the cabin walked through as our dogs were letting them know their presence was not appreciated. About 2 hours later they walked back through using a different path but still through our campsite. I was cooking breakfast and they tried engaging me in conversation. I said nothing and they continued. I guess they finally took the hint as the next time from their cabin the cut through a tree line that separated the road from their cabin. Are people that oblivious or am I too old fashioned to expect basic common courtesy?
Troy, Josie and our 2 K9 co-pilots Breck and Maggie
USN 86-92
3 nights camped so far in 2020
Hugeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:38 PM   #52
I Break Everything

For me it kinda depends on the park. We just left a "resort" park, that was a "Resort" park, not just part of the title. Lot's of rules, etc. It didn't happen and I would have addressed it if it did, as nice as possible. I'm not out to make enemies, but I don't have to be everyone's friend either, I'm at that point.

KOAs, Beaches, State Parks, I really don't care too much. I usually wave and talk a bit if I feel like it. If my wife is out I usually leave...she talks it up too much. I'm usually in the A/C waiting for the report.

The point I do care everywhere is if you smoke or are drunk and walk through or have your dog dump near me, have loud, obnoxious kids, or are dragging a bunch of junk through, like rafts, boats, tables, chairs and mother-in-laws, stuff like that.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:53 PM   #53

While this is not about campsites, it is about etiquette. While I driving thru the NPs I had no toad vehicle so I was using my motorhome. I would drive to various vistas and in the parking lot there were spots for RVs and buses, but off coarse they were filled with small cars and motorcycles. I noticed that the worst offenders were from either Calif. or Oregon.
radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:34 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by radman View Post
While this is not about campsites, it is about etiquette. While I driving thru the NPs I had no toad vehicle so I was using my motorhome. I would drive to various vistas and in the parking lot there were spots for RVs and buses, but off coarse they were filled with small cars and motorcycles. I noticed that the worst offenders were from either Calif. or Oregon.
Along those same lines we stop in Cracker Barrels every so often and find cars parked in the spaces reserved for campers. The parking lot has plenty of open spaces for cars but there they are, in the campers spots.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:01 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugeez View Post
We camped and floated at Blue Springs Ranch in Bourbon MO this last weekend. This is by no means a bash on the owners or their employees because they are always great. Apparently the people who stayed in the cabin next to our campsite either have never camped before or just not often enough to learn basic campground etiquette. The very first night, one of the drunk people from the cabin walked right through the middle of our campsite because they knew the people staying 3 campsites down from them. So about 45 minutes later he comes back through and decides it was a good time to stop and chat while we were sitting down to dinner. I let him know we were eating, in case he couldn't tell, and asked him to continue on his journey. The next morning while my wife was out walking the dogs, more people from the cabin walked through as our dogs were letting them know their presence was not appreciated. About 2 hours later they walked back through using a different path but still through our campsite. I was cooking breakfast and they tried engaging me in conversation. I said nothing and they continued. I guess they finally took the hint as the next time from their cabin the cut through a tree line that separated the road from their cabin. Are people that oblivious or am I too old fashioned to expect basic common courtesy?
Your expectations make perfect sense to me.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:20 PM   #56

Just say "oh, be careful, my holding tank was leaking pretty bad".
Tell them all about your Bigfoot sighting and walk with them as they leave.
Set a little porta-potty out and hang a towel up for privacy.
Wear some daisy Dukes and a wife beater a yell get off my lawn.

Avoid spots that are close to popular areas.
Steve29rlx is offline   Reply With Quote