Old 03-26-2015, 08:13 AM   #1
Campsite length

Warning you now this is a rookie question- When you reserve a campsite do you include your tow vehicle in the length or just the camper? We just bought a 30 ft. Salem DBUD and our tow vehicle is a F150 Supercab. So combined they are about 50 ft. Trying to make reservations and it only shows like 1-2 campsites in almost every local park are approved for that length. I have driven through the parks before and have seen campers much larger than ours all over the place. Not sure if I am entering the correct information. Thanks for any info in advance.

CSLAVIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:20 AM   #2
Usually you only need to use the length of your camper. Usually you can park the truck to the side, perpendicular to the site, or somehow else that you don't have to include the truck length in the site size.

Unless you're looking for an overnight pull through and want to stay hitched up.

2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:26 AM   #3
I just give camper length. And Welcome.
Doug and Carmin
2010 Wildcat 31TS
2008 F-250 King Ranch
okdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:28 AM   #4
Agree with The camper/trailer length
Essex County
Southern most area in Canada
2015 F150 XLT Sport 5 ltr V8
2011 Flagstaff classic 31.5'BHDS
Gripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:44 AM   #5
I personally use the camper length + ~4' (I like round numbers so I just say 35') to make sure I won't have an issue fitting.
Craig & Lynn D'Angelo

cdangel0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:01 AM   #6
I'm sure most don't include the length of their tow vehicle so I'd go with 30' in your case. Worst case scenario you might need to park the TV at an overflow lot but usually you can find space on your site.

Mine's a 23' with a 4' rear slide. Provincial parks near me class midsize trailers as up to 25' so that's the number I usually go with and I've never had issues.
Nights camped
2007 Shamrock F19 hybrid - 2010 (22 nights), 2011 (24 nights), 2012 (11 nights)
2013 Surveyor Select 235RKS -
2012 (6 nights), 2013 (32 nights), 2014 (26 nights), 2015 (37 nights), 2016 (14 nights)
mTn_biKer65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:20 AM   #7
My opinion after doing this a LONG while is this... Start with your camper length and add 20% when going to a unknown-to-you campground. Reason being, some campgrounds are a little too generous when they say one of their sites can handle X feet and you end up with your fire pit right on top of you or getting creative to get your slide(s) open around the pedestal! Another consideration if you are new to towing as well, is that you may wish to seek out longer sites till you master backing because those sites will be in a part of the campground with a little more maneuverability because they are set up with the big boys in mind. They also tend to limb better and higher in the bigger site areas, which is getting to be more and more important as trailers get taller. Once you begin to learn the campgrounds, you'll figure out the sites you like and can get into so my last piece of advise is to keep a camping journal and record your campgrounds and notes about it!
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:40 AM   #8
It depends on the campground and who went around to determine maximum camper length for each site. NY State campgrounds are typically stingy on what they publish as a maximum length. I routinely camp in campsites listed as only 20 ft. with my 30 ft Sunseeker with another 40 ft. available. Of course, I know this is at campsites that I've been to before and am familiar with. When searching out new campgrounds and campsites, I stick to 30 ft. specifications to be safe.
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 03:53 PM   #9
Depending on you slide outs and obstructions, most camp grounds you can back the RV in until the wheels are at the end of the drive meaning you have can 6 - 10' sticking out over the grass. This sucks for the rear stabilizer jacks as they usually end up pretty high in the air but a few leveling blocks solves that problem. Most campgrounds I go to, I have to park my TV perpendicular across the drive or pull off into the grass. Note: federal campgrounds (all as far as I know) do not allow any vehicle RV or TV to have a wheel off the drive. Private or even state parks usually don't care if you park in the grass using common sense.
Maxhise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:00 PM   #10
When we booked r site in Tenn. They asked for trailer and TV.

2016 Rockwood ROO 233S

2013 Ford F150 3.5 ECO SCREW
TT233S is offline   Reply With Quote