Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2011, 01:53 PM   #1

Campsite noise - what's OK with you?

Sewerrat's quote is from the generator discussion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
Who needs all them electric gadgets like a coffe maker, blenders for the slushy drinks etc. we go camping for peace and quiet. I find it actually very anoying when there are generators running all the time, to me might as well stay home and listen to all the lawnmowers that go off in the neighbourhood. One lawnmower shuts off and another one on the other side starts up and that seems the same with generators at campground. sorry for the rant.
You are right! Campgrounds can be really noisy. I have come to the conclusion that we're not going camping for the peace and quiet or being out in nature - more nature and quiet at home (moose, bobcat, deer wandering through the woods next to the house, frogs, geese on the pond etc.) Neighbor sounds are infrequent.

I'm used to falling asleep with the windows open and the woodsy night sounds and wind through the trees. Campgrounds are noisy - someone else's party, and other people sounds.

When the sites don't have power we've sometimes used the generator for short duration (brewing that coffee e.g.) but it makes less noise than a pick up driving through the loop.

So what is everyone's take on how much noise is OK at a campsite? Should you be able to hear someone else's radio station from across the loop? From the site next to you? What about voices? Children? noisy gadges (the margarita machine?)
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:24 PM   #2

I enjoy a radio if I'm going to barbeque at the picnic table, but I always walk to the edges of my campsite to see if I can hear it. Seems like I'm thinking about others(campers) as much as myself. I even hate it if my campfire smoke invades other camp sites because of the wind sometimes too! And I have always kept the campground host number just in case of rowdys!
Battlefield, Missouri
F.R.O.G. Member
1st International F.R.O.G. Rally Branson Missouri
JohnandPandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:33 PM   #3

Where we camp is mostly a "family vacation" campsite, so there will be some children playing and occasionally someone working on their boat motor. I took my kids camping to and I am sure that they got on someone's nerves now and then. Usually will not hear any generators because there is electricity at all campsites. My main rant is the people who feel the need to use their blower at 6:00am every morning. I am sure some may have medical problems that require them to blow off their "patio" and picnic table. But I see some folks blowing the pine straw off the entire campsite. I would have thought the Corp of Engineers would not allow this to prevent errosion problems, but obviously, I am wrong. What I feel at the time this is happening is "If you don't like having pine straw on the ground, why didn't you just STAY HOME". Sorry folks, but I wish they would BAN blowers at the campground!

Thanks for the rant.
Mickey
Sawdr73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:47 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to Ehlendt
I've never been to a campground that didn't have electric, so I can't comment on generator noise. I am, however, conscious of others in the campground at all times. I enjoy having the radio on, but always check the noise level from the perimeter of my site. I know everyones taste in music is not always the same as mine. I try to keep it as low as possible for our enjoyment, but not others. We don't have any others "gadgets" that make any noise. I take that back. We take our corn toss game with us and it tends to make noise when the bags hit he board. Nobody has complained yet! And anyone is welcome to come over and join in the jun if they wish. We get a lot of peple stopping to ask what he game is actually. Surprised it is not more well known. Fun game! We also try to keep things out of the fire that will put off a lot of unnecessary smoke, especially if the winds are blowing directly into our neighbors site.
My biggest "pet peeve" is pets themselves. I love dogs, but not the ones that bark constantly.....and especially those that bark constantly when their owners leave the site and leave them tied up outside the camper.
I don't go camping expecting it to be quiet, so I don't mind the noise too much. I do mind it if it is after quiet hours though! Everyone just needs to be a little more respectful of their neighbors and we can all enjoy the weekend more.
Reese WD Hitch
"Get busy living.....or get busy dying."
Ehlendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:13 PM   #5
Site Team

Noise & campgrounds goes hand-in-hand. However, noise should be kept to a reasonable minimum which can vary at times. The campground is not a library so there will be noise but neither is it an amusement park so there shouldn't be ongoing noise for hours on end either.

Generally speaking too much noise is when someone else's noise is louder than mine within my campsite. It's one thing to hear my noise while walking by my site and it's another to hear my noise at another site.

I like the buzzing sounds of a campgroung so I tend to take walks & see what's going on. However, I don't like it when another cg site sounds are forced on me and over takes over my space. A couple examples would be not being able to hear my TV inside my trailer or not being able to sleep because of a party at another site.

If you need to run the generator I'm ok with it but not after the stated hours. Same with "Quiet Hours" - time to lower voices and keep the noise down. I'm surprised on what all people talk about late at night without making an effort to keep their voices down.

Most likely there will be times you will hear me and I will hear you. The key is to consider other campers and respect their space.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:34 PM   #6

So its Sunday afternoon, sun is out for once, geese on the grass, fish jumping, cold beer in hand, great campsite and I can hear at least two lawnmowers, a strimmer, two chainsaws for sure and a hotrod or dragster in the distance doing burnouts.

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:53 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
Generally speaking too much noise is when someone else's noise is louder than mine within my campsite. It's one thing to hear my noise while walking by my site and it's another to hear my noise at another site.

Reminds me of the definition of an aggressive driver.

Someone who is driving faster and crazier than you.

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:37 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

Reminds me of the definition of an aggressive driver.

Someone who is driving faster and crazier than you.

I know that the above comment is meant as humor - got it.

But now I'm wondering if I didn't explain my view correctly. My point was that I should be able to enjoy my camping site - maybe listen to a little of my music, watch TV or have quiet time & take in the view. With that said I don't think my TV, music or whatever should be able to be heard away from my site.

In a nutshell - If anyones noise is too loud to tune out then it's too loud to start with. On the odd side - generators don't brother me because they usually don't run for hours on ends where I camp.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:53 PM   #9

Having just returned from camping a few hours ago, my only objection to noise would be whooping and hollering from a neighboring campsite, or constant screeching of the girls at said site.

I was very concerned Friday night when my own dogs were yelping when I walked out of site while setting up camp. this was one dogs first ( and last ) camping adventure. the other would be ok, he's done this a few times. the younger one kept us up all night constantly whining and yipping, due to strange new place I guess. I was pretty concerned it was effecting others, I took them home Saturday morning ( 45min ride to the house ) they were both in the camper with us, so I'm kinda confused as to what the issue was.

This was a practice run for a beach trip end of next month, we wanted to take them on that, with a 2.5hr ferry ride to get to the campground ( 3hrs to ferry ) not a chance I'm gonna deal with them on that trip.

Our neighboring camp said they couldn't hear the dogs, but I think they were being nice.
Blkvoodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:58 PM   #10

To those who walk to the edge of their campsite to check the volume of a radio or stereo - thank you! To those who do all they can to keep their dog quiet in the middle of the night - thank you! To those who know to "tone it down" while sitting at a campfire during quiet hours - thank you! To those who run their generators at the proper times - thank you! To those parents who are mindful of what their children are doing and teach them good campground manners - thank you!

Being considerate of others doesn't cost you anything. Unfortunately we all witness others who don't feel this is important. All we can do is the best we can and be good examples to others. If you camp near me someday and I am doing something that annoys you, just come over and in a polite way, let me know.

Happy and peaceful camping everyone!
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:05 PM   #11

I don't mind kids making a bit of noise, as kids are meant to have have.
What I do object to is their drunken parents yelling, swearing and arguing, thinking they are oh-so-funny. I will not hesitate to make a complaint to the park rangers.
Luckily, I have never witnessed the ultimate rudeness of someone using a leaf-blower or some other noise-maker early in the morning. The drunks are still asleep, and the rest are too respectful to do something so ridiculous.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdr73 View Post
My main rant is the people who feel the need to use their blower at 6:00am every morning... blow off their "patio" and picnic table... I see some folks blowing the pine straw off the entire campsite. Mickey
Mickey, I've not yet seen a blower at a campground. I wonder if it would be possible to pair the blower folks with the late night drunken party animals together on the same loop...
Old 06-26-2011, 09:36 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linnemj View Post
To those who walk to the edge of their campsite to check the volume of a radio or stereo - thank you! To those who do all they can to keep their dog quiet in the middle of the night - thank you! To those who know to "tone it down" while sitting at a campfire during quiet hours - thank you! To those who run their generators at the proper times - thank you! To those parents who are mindful of what their children are doing and teach them good campground manners - thank you!

Being considerate of others doesn't cost you anything. Unfortunately we all witness others who don't feel this is important. All we can do is the best we can and be good examples to others. If you camp near me someday and I am doing something that annoys you, just come over and in a polite way, let me know.

Happy and peaceful camping everyone!
Jim and Nicky, nicely said. Kudos to you both. Ditto.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:27 PM   #14

A few years ago we were at a campground that allowed some campers to set up a tent in an RV site next to us. The campers wanted all the hookups that the tent area didn't have and for some reason, the park allowed them to move. The RV sites were very narrow, so narrow you couldn't open your awning. So when quite time came at night, we could still hear every single thing they said and noise made from inside our RV. So frustrating bc they didn't have "walls" to muffle their noises. It kept us up all night. From now on, when we book sites, we inquire whether tent campers are allowed in the RV sites for this very reason.

Another irritation we have when camping is people that get up early and head outside to talk. When we camp, it's usually our opportunity to sleep in and catch up on rest. When neighbors do this, they all tend to hang out around our bedroom window and wakes us up. Not as bad during the summer time when the noise of our AC drowns out those sounds.

I agree with all other points people have made: just be aware of your noise levels and realize we are all in close confines and voices carry.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:22 AM   #15

Well I will admit there was some whooping and hollaring from our campsite a couple weeks ago. Daddy unbolted the training wheels and my sweet little #1 son took off with a bit of a push and didn't look back. There was cheering from other sites as well. He was so happy he told nearly every one on the loop, and got high 5's from nearly everyone that day.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:23 AM   #16
Flagstaff 625D Popup

On a recent trip we were across from a family (and I use the term loosely here) that constantly were yelling at their kids. And I do mean CONSTANTLY. Here is a short transcript of the weekend:

COME HERE. GET OVER HERE. STOP THAT. IF YOU DO THAT AGAIN I'LL BEAT YOUR BUTT (didn't say butt either). STOP SQUIRTING YOUR BROTHER. STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP (dad was squirting kids). GET OVER HERE. GET OVER HERE. GET OVER HERE. [kid screaming] STOP HITTING YOUR BROTHER.

This was all within about 5 minutes. To boot one of the kids left his bike directly behind my explorer and we "almost" ran over it.

We ended up going in the camper and turning on the A/C just to drowned out the noise.

Bean
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:37 AM   #17

I have to admit, Friday afternoon late, this was me, I was exhausted, worked all day, slept very little the night before, DD was all kinda of excited to be camping again.

To add to it, we brought the dogs, this added yet another stressful element to the mix, and they ended up keeping me up all night.

I realized as soon as I popped off at my DD that I was sounding like " one of them " and took a time out for myself.

whew, this is supposed to be relaxing ....right ?

as for the hoot'n and hollerin, celebrating the triumphs of a child is SO much different than a drunken idiot hollering " Hat Backards !! " at the top of his lungs at 11:30 PM ( or AM for that matter )
Blkvoodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:51 AM   #18
Site Team

I sometimes have to remind myself that public popular campgrounds are
NOT quiet.
We may wish they were but it's rare to find one that's really quiet.

Just returned from a 3 week trip but last 3 days were in Jenny Wiley KY
state park. There were several trailers surrounding us who all knew each
other. They hollered back and forth all day every day.
The first night at 11 PM one of them pushed his truck lock remote.
Of course it honked the horn twice when he did that.
Then another did it and soon they were all playing last beep tag with
their truck remotes.
The winner was the Ass Ho-- with the diesel dually with air horns.

I'm sure they were all chuckling over it at the time but the rest of us
around them failed to see the humor at that hour of the night.

The next night I kept hearing something playing the "stars and stripes
forever". Sounded like a phone or Ipad or something.
Found out later it was their awning lights!
They had some sort of sound box attached and it seemed to just fire
up at random times. On the 3rd afternoon I asked them if they'd mind
turning it off at night......

Public campgrounds are NOT quiet..... repeat this.........
The thing was we were having cool weather and would have loved
to just sleep with a window open and the maxxair fan on over the
bed.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:40 AM   #19

Pretty much the only thing I can't stand at a campsite are Teenage Girls and their annoying Laughs and Giggles. Especially when they are flirting with Boys. It's just such an annoying fake laughter I can't quite explain it.

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:00 AM   #20

KyDan, I feel for you. People can be unbelievably rude. But your experiences make me feel very fortunate, as such instances are rare in our neck of the woods. The vast majority of our campers are very considerate and friendly. Most nights are so quiet you can hear the breeze rustling through the trees. Must be a Canadian thing.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote