Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2016, 12:45 PM   #21

We usually use the campground as a place to stay and see things in the surrounding area. We also take what I call a down day where we may just stay at the campground.
tdiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:54 PM   #22
Boondocking Only

Both, lot's of ATVing, fishing & hiking. Also hang out by the campfire, ply catch or Frisbee with kids & dogs, target practice & have a few cold ones.
ddbck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:16 PM   #23

Send a message via Skype™ to pontiacdan45
We live on the border of Wisconsin and Illinois. We also have been through much of Canada and Michigan. But with a dog you have to get creative on where to go with the critter in tow. She's 14 so at some point we should be on our own.

There is so much within 1000 miles of where we live. We're retired and so our time is our own. We enjoy being in the camp grounds, getting to know our neighbors and we like the trip, being on the road and seeing new things.

I don't think we will ever see everything on our list but we will keep plugging along and have fun with each day as it comes.

2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra-Lite 8289 ws
2015 GMC Crew Cab 2500HD Gas:
pontiacdan45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:40 PM   #24

we do both and on long trips we take one day and relax
locogk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:43 PM   #25

We do a little of both. We just went to the Catskills in NY and our plan was to see the Woodstock Museum, spent most of the day there, had lunch at a Distillery, then it was back to the campground. For a 6 day stay that was the extent of our traveling, it was so hot and the campground had a nice pool, so we spent most of our days there. Campground also had a Petanque Court, so for 3 days we played a couple of games of Petanque and met a lot of nice people. End of Sept. we are traveling to Cape Cod for one week, that will be a little more touring as we have never been.
nikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:45 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
Whenever you are on a trip with your camper do you spend most of your time at your campground, and how important to you is it, or is your destination the reason of the trip so you spend most of the day taking in the sights where you are?
!
I began "camping" in my teens as a way to eat and sleep while I was doing OTHER STUFF, like hunting or fishing. Just as I have always seen my boat(s) as an extension of my tackle box.

Now that I am pushing 80, I see "camping" as a way to eat and sleep while doing OTHER STUFF.

I go to Zion to see the rocks and birds.....to the gulf for the water and marshes.....to Wyoming to fish.....etc.

I don't go to any of them to sit in front of my RV and wave at the neighbors. That's the reason we don't run rope lights around the rig, hang cutsie lights from the awnings, or lay an 8 x 12 rug in front of the door.

Wife is the same way. She wants to go to Quincy for the car show, see the "world's largest ball of string", stop and get catfish and dance at some east TX honky-tonk.

In sum......we want to see and do "stuff". Our rv is for sleeping and eating.

Your mileage may vary......
Old 08-12-2016, 01:57 PM   #27

We carry his and her motorcycles in the trailer
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:10 PM   #28

We do both. We also use our TT as a motel room/restaurant cause you can't have a camp fire in a motel.
Rockwood 2503s
debandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:24 PM   #29

We try to camp where there is plenty to do at the campground, whether it's hiking, fishing, riding bike or - at private CGs - organized activities. We drive a C and generally don't have a second vehicle with us. Most of our trips are weekends or long weekends and we just love spending the time together with family and friends.
Lynlanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:35 PM   #30

It depends on the location. I don't find it fun hanging out and being squeezed in like sardines at some overpriced RV parks. I rarely use their amenities ( I use only to dump, fill up and maybe electric for a/c if really hot.) I will use them only as a base camp if inable to get into a more scenic state or federal park. I would rather take the savings$$ and apply it towards a nice meal or gas.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:38 PM   #31

We camp. Our northern Ontario provincial parks are all wonderful. Varied terraine and secluded sites. We could spend months just walking, hiking and sitting by the bonfire. The only shopping or site seeing I need is the grocery store to restock.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:08 PM   #32

Most of the time we are out and about. We try to take in as much as possible. We often take the grandchildren, and they love to go on "missions". We go to parks, museums, art shops, antiques, fish, take photos. We spend a fair amount of time in Key West, and have local friends that we spend time with. We have what I consider a nice motorhome, but it is basically a place to crash.
badge2283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:09 PM   #33

To wander or not

A bit of both....however, it depends upon where you camp...we often head on down to the Keys and camp on Long Key, in the state park. When the ocean is literally ten feet from your front door, offering some of the best kayaking, fishing, diving and sunsets in the world....why leave to go anywhere else?!
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:12 PM   #34

Both, but I'm good with staying at the campground. We mainly stay at state / county campgrounds that provide some privacy. Swimming, snorkling, boating, walking, cycling, and just relaxing with friends around a night fire.
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:18 PM   #35

We take are golf clubs every time and try different courses
Old 08-12-2016, 04:18 PM   #36

To the Michigan responses, can't wait to go back! Would stay at Wilderness for 3-4 days a do the UP from there, back down to Traverse City, want to kayak the river! And take in as much as we missed this past trip. DW and I too like to go out and see what's around us, and to see how the other folks live where we re visiting. However, Wilderness was just so darn beautiful, quiet, friendliest Rangers we ever encountered it was hard to leave daily and when it was time to head back to WNY State.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:38 PM   #37

We never go anywhere there isn't water of some kind. Lakes, creeks, rivers, ponds or ocean, doesn't matter as long as it's wet. An 11'-8" RIB is carried in the truck bed along with a 9.9hp outboard and it gets wet every day. I love to fish and DW just likes to explore small rivers and creeks.
The TT is our home away from home, so yes, we do a lot of exploring and sightseeing while using the unit as a basecamp.
I have no clue why my attachments end up sideways.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2346.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	565.3 KB
ID:	117039  
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:42 PM   #38

If we wanted to stay in the campground with our camper, we would park in our driveway, roast hotdogs on our portable barbecue...and save the difference. Seriously, life is too short and there is so much to see and experience. We can't afford to sit still except in the evenings after a day of exploring another piece of this great creation. Our MH is considered the "basecamp" for venturing out in the toad. Once we're satisfied we've seen enough of one area, we pack up and head for the next one. That normally results in 2 -3 days in the same location.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:46 PM   #39

We use our Solera as our "hotel room on wheels". We bought the motorhome so we could travel, take our dog, and see the beautiful USA. That said, sometimes it's nice to just hang at the CG or RV park, and relax or chat with others in the campground.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:37 PM   #40

We always stay in State Parks where you have more privacy. We enjoy hanging around the campsite and just relaxing. Our weeks at work are crazy and we cherish the downtime. Fishing, long walks, paddle boats, reading, and a nice campfire in the evening are our relaxation.
Harris85 is offline   Reply With Quote