Old 08-12-2016, 12:45 PM   #21
We usually use the campground as a place to stay and see things in the surrounding area. We also take what I call a down day where we may just stay at the campground.

tdiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:54 PM   #22
Boondocking Only
Both, lot's of ATVing, fishing & hiking. Also hang out by the campfire, ply catch or Frisbee with kids & dogs, target practice & have a few cold ones.

ddbck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:16 PM   #23
Send a message via Skype™ to pontiacdan45
We live on the border of Wisconsin and Illinois. We also have been through much of Canada and Michigan. But with a dog you have to get creative on where to go with the critter in tow. She's 14 so at some point we should be on our own.

There is so much within 1000 miles of where we live. We're retired and so our time is our own. We enjoy being in the camp grounds, getting to know our neighbors and we like the trip, being on the road and seeing new things.

I don't think we will ever see everything on our list but we will keep plugging along and have fun with each day as it comes.
Dan and Deb

2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra-Lite 8289 ws
2015 GMC Crew Cab 2500HD Gas:
pontiacdan45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:40 PM   #24
we do both and on long trips we take one day and relax
locogk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:43 PM   #25
We do a little of both. We just went to the Catskills in NY and our plan was to see the Woodstock Museum, spent most of the day there, had lunch at a Distillery, then it was back to the campground. For a 6 day stay that was the extent of our traveling, it was so hot and the campground had a nice pool, so we spent most of our days there. Campground also had a Petanque Court, so for 3 days we played a couple of games of Petanque and met a lot of nice people. End of Sept. we are traveling to Cape Cod for one week, that will be a little more touring as we have never been.
2011 Chevy Silverado Diesel 2500HD
2015 Sabre 33 RETS 5th Wheel
nikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:45 PM   #26
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
Whenever you are on a trip with your camper do you spend most of your time at your campground, and how important to you is it, or is your destination the reason of the trip so you spend most of the day taking in the sights where you are?
I began "camping" in my teens as a way to eat and sleep while I was doing OTHER STUFF, like hunting or fishing. Just as I have always seen my boat(s) as an extension of my tackle box.

Now that I am pushing 80, I see "camping" as a way to eat and sleep while doing OTHER STUFF.

I go to Zion to see the rocks and the gulf for the water and Wyoming to fish.....etc.

I don't go to any of them to sit in front of my RV and wave at the neighbors. That's the reason we don't run rope lights around the rig, hang cutsie lights from the awnings, or lay an 8 x 12 rug in front of the door.

Wife is the same way. She wants to go to Quincy for the car show, see the "world's largest ball of string", stop and get catfish and dance at some east TX honky-tonk.

In sum......we want to see and do "stuff". Our rv is for sleeping and eating.

Your mileage may vary......
2012 Ecoboost Screw, 3.31 (yes....really) rear end.
2016 Flagstaff 26FKWS, about 7500 loaded
Retired AF Mustang.....Picker always looking to jam.
Major Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:57 PM   #27
We carry his and her motorcycles in the trailer
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:10 PM   #28
We do both. We also use our TT as a motel room/restaurant cause you can't have a camp fire in a motel.
John Spear
RMCS (SW) USN Retired
2012 Ford F-150
Rockwood 2503s
debandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:24 PM   #29
We try to camp where there is plenty to do at the campground, whether it's hiking, fishing, riding bike or - at private CGs - organized activities. We drive a C and generally don't have a second vehicle with us. Most of our trips are weekends or long weekends and we just love spending the time together with family and friends.
Lynlanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:35 PM   #30
It depends on the location. I don't find it fun hanging out and being squeezed in like sardines at some overpriced RV parks. I rarely use their amenities ( I use only to dump, fill up and maybe electric for a/c if really hot.) I will use them only as a base camp if inable to get into a more scenic state or federal park. I would rather take the savings$$ and apply it towards a nice meal or gas.

mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote