Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2019, 08:54 AM   #1

Can I Assume My Roof Vents Are Pre-Wired?

Is it standard for the non-powered roof vents on my 2016 Windjammer to be pre-wired for the future installation of a Maxx Air fan? I would like to add a Maxx Air fan above my kitchen.

If this is standard, I will just order one. If it’s one of those things where “maybe it is and maybe it isn’t”, I will take my vent apart to take a look.

Thanks,

Bruce
Old 03-24-2019, 09:27 AM   #2
Site Team

We'll, I guess one thing to do is to see if a powered vent fan was an option on your unit. A brochure for your year model may show that info. Perhaps if the option is listed, then the wiring maybe there. Just speculation. Good luck.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
We'll, I guess one thing to do is to see if a powered vent fan was an option on your unit. A brochure for your year model may show that info. Perhaps if the option is listed, then the wiring maybe there. Just speculation. Good luck.
Yes, it was an option.

Bruce
Old 03-24-2019, 09:36 AM   #4

When it comes to RV's, never, ever assume.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 12:17 PM   #5

Should be able to take the skirt on the bottom of the vent off, if it's pre wired you should be able to see the wires up there. I put fan on a Solera MH sometime back I when I took the skirt off the vent the wires were there in pain site.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:20 PM   #6

You should be able to see the wiring running around the vent openings by just removing the screws and dropping down the trim ring around the vent. Then you need to determine if they are 12v. or 110v. lines and if they are powering another device (or devices) which could overload the circuit if you added a vent fan. I wish there was a standard color coding system for wires run in these Forest River RV's -- even just to distinguish between 12 v lines and 110 v. lines -- but generally I don't think there is.

2014 Rockwood Signature 8282 Ultra-Lite
2008 RAM 3500 HD DRW Laramie Megacab
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 12:34 PM   #7

I have 4 openings in my roof as vents. 2 had fans which I changed out for better. The other 2 I pulled the surround and found 12 volt wires spliced together at each location. They are now fans.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:45 PM   #8

Romex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapehound View Post
You should be able to see the wiring running around the vent openings by just removing the screws and dropping down the trim ring around the vent. Then you need to determine if they are 12v. or 110v. lines and if they are powering another device (or devices) which could overload the circuit if you added a vent fan. I wish there was a standard color coding system for wires run in these Forest River RV's -- even just to distinguish between 12 v lines and 110 v. lines -- but generally I don't think there is.
Well, the 110 seems to always be in Romex (NM) except when it's in flexible cable (SJO, etc., looks like heavy appliance cord) going underneath a slideout.

The tricky part is not deciding whether it's 12v or not, but figuring out whether it's switched or not. A real nuisance to wire up the fan and then find out that it only works when the bedroom light is on. :-(

You also get to figure out the polarity if the fan runs in only one direction. I have added reversing switches so I can draw in one vent and out the other on our small trailer.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:07 PM   #9

Larry-NC, that's good information about the AC usually being Romex or flexible cable. All my vents have single stranded wires in them so they should be DC. I want to install a remotely controlled fan in the cathedral ceiling of our living room and maybe a non-remote fan in our bedroom.

6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Old 03-24-2019, 07:13 PM   #10

Before cutting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapehound View Post
Larry-NC, that's good information about the AC usually being Romex or flexible cable. All my vents have single stranded wires in them so they should be DC. I want to install a remotely controlled fan in the cathedral ceiling of our living room and maybe a non-remote fan in our bedroom.
Before cutting into wires, I have been known to pierce them with a straight pin. Then measure the voltage and make sure it's present when all switches are off. (You would hate to have to turn on the furnace or bedroom light to run the fan.) If the fans you get don't include a fuse, it's a good idea to include a 3-5 amp fuse in your installation. Either tuck an inline fuse into the ceiling or use one of these mounted on one corner of the fan plate.

You might be putting the fan on a 20 amp circuit and you really want it fused at lower amperage, say 3-5 amps.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:55 PM   #11

Good suggestions. Thanks so much.

6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel

Tags
roo, roof, vent