Old 07-14-2015, 07:29 PM   #1

Can I use my Tahoe jack to jack up my Shamrock 21dk?

I was thinking with all these tire blow outs I see happening that I better be prepared.
Can I use my the jack that comes with my Tahoe to jack up my camper also? Or do I need a special jack? We have a 2 ton floor jack but I really hate to have to pack that in also. Any advice?

Old 07-14-2015, 07:45 PM   #2

I do carry my 2 ton floor jack in my TV... It has saved my butt a couple of times... once I had a blowout and the roadside was nearly 100% sand... a couple of 2x6 lengths I always carry and my floor jack on them and I was good to jack up and change the tire.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:08 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

A 2, 3 or 4T bottle jack will suffice.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:18 PM   #4

I would go outside and try it first, would also drag the bottle around just in case.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:41 PM   #5

4 ton bottle jack and a selection of wood blocks. Try changing tire at home and learn what is needed. You must jack on frame.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:43 PM   #6

One of the best things to do is on a nice day in your driveway, is actually jack up the trailer and take a tire off and put it back on. Figure out what works and then you will be ready in case you ever find yourself on the side of the road in the rain, you will know exactly what to do and not waste time running around in panic mode. I know sometimes it is very difficult to get those wheels lugs loose, and if you don't have a length of pipe or the right tool you will be stuck.
abomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:34 PM   #7
jkoenig24

Just make sure you set the jack under a frame member and NOT under an axle.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:48 AM   #8

Do not use jack for tandem axle trailers! It's much safer to use your leveling blocks. Here is the safe way to change the tire. First just loosen the lug nuts on the wheel you want to change. Then take your leveling blocks and stack them up ramp style in front or behind the good tire and pull up on the ramp formed by the blocks. The bad axle with out the blocks will be hanging and you can change the tire and wheel as Nesc. I have done this many times and it is stable and easy. You won't have to get down under the trailer. Hope this works for you next time. Works when packing bearings also.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheripoms View Post
I was thinking with all these tire blow outs I see happening that I better be prepared.
Can I use my the jack that comes with my Tahoe to jack up my camper also? Or do I need a special jack? We have a 2 ton floor jack but I really hate to have to pack that in also. Any advice?
Take a look at the Camco Trailer Aid Plus. I keep one in the compartment...just in case
Old 07-16-2015, 08:03 AM   #10

Honestly Jeff that is exactly what I carry and use all the time. It works great in the shop when I need to work on an axle or bearings. I carry it in my truck. I have to go out and pick up units setting in camp grounds for years with bad tires and it has been used plenty.

Tags
shamrock