Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2019, 10:47 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to flaggonzo
Can someone please explain Auto Leveling?

Can someone who has auto leveling please explain the process. Press a button and how long on average does it take?

How often do you get an error and if so, how easy is it to clear it?

If you go into the manual overide mode, are you able to move one leg at a time or both move together like the electric stab jacks?

When you get the auto leveling does it come with the smart front jack that remembers the height you used to disengage or is that another option?

If you added it as an option, do you think it's worth it?

Thanks so much, we ordered a trailer on Friday but I am sure I can still add it on Monday if I decide to get it.

Thanks for any info you can provide.
flaggonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggonzo View Post
Can someone who has auto leveling please explain the process. Press a button and how long on average does it take?

If you go into the manual overide mode, are you able to move one leg at a time or both move together like the electric stab jacks?

When you get the auto leveling does it come with the smart front jack that remembers the height you used to disengage or is that another option?

Thanks so much, we ordered a trailer on Friday but I am sure I can still add it on Monday if I decide to get it.

Personally I never use it. It tends to overextend and often end up with one tire or more off the ground. It can be calibrated but I use its indications of where to start (lights up) and generally when it thinks I am level (logo on the Lippert lights up) I also use a $2.00 spirit level on the floor which is just as good.

If it costs more, I wouldn't bother.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 02:22 PM   #3

My rig came with it and I use it all the time. If the site is fairly level to begin with the auto-leveling takes about a minute or two and is pretty accurate. If it's far enough off level that auto raises one tire off the ground I do it manually and get it as close as possible. When doing it manually, you drop each leveler with a separate button. Mine is a big foot system. The down side is if one goes too far you have to retract all and start over again. You can go up, but not down.
darqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:17 AM   #4

Wouldn't buy an RV without it. Remembers the height when re-hitching. Pretty accurate. If it's off, you can re-calibrate. The manual mode lets you adjust if you prefer. No blocks to mess with. Press a button and you're done. A minute at the most.
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:26 AM   #5

It takes less than 3 minutes for mine, I'd guess.

Errors are easy to clear. If the ground slopes to the rear, I need several inches of blocks to keep the rear jacks from stroking out.

In manual mode, you can use one at a time or any pair (left, right, front, rear).

Now that I have it, I dont think I'd buy a camler without it.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:09 AM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Some auto level systems are hydraulic and some are 4 or 6 independently operated electric jacks.

Many of the hydraulic are not truly independent.
Front to back and side to side only.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
wouldn't buy an rv without it.
Rusty

X-2

C.B.
cbvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:24 AM   #8

My 2 cents
We had a TT with a 7 point system. It utilized the tongue jack and 2 jacks just behind the back wheels. It also had stabilizer jacks front and back. I cant remember the system name. It worked ok but manufacture put the brain box in a storage compartment that was hard to get to. You had to get to it to re-calibrate it. We now have tt with the Lippert level up system. It is a 5 point system. It has 2 jacks right behind back wheels and 2 jack at the front of TT. Once you disconnect the TV manually with tongue, you tell the system to auto level. The front jacks go down to take load off tongue jack. Then the tongue jack retracts and the system levels the TT off with the 4 jacks. I had to laugh at myself. When I first got the Lippert system I thought something was wrong when the tongue jack retracted. The old system didn't do that. I don't think you can get all movement out of TT but ours seems pretty stable with Lippert system. Just to add, I needed to take all 4 tires off to install TPMS sensors, so I just used the system to lift the TT up to take tires off. That's how strong they are. To the OP, yes you can operate the system manually. I did to remove tires. I would suggest you let the system do the leveling. The Lippert system can be re-calibrated very easy. We had system 1 1/2 years and haven't had to re-calibrate it yet. If you do get to an unlevel site all you have to do is add blocks under jacks. Been there. right side wheels of TT were off the ground. Hope this info helps.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggonzo View Post
You would have to ask my wife this since she does the auto-leveling as I pull the truck out from the hitch!

In the last 5 years we have own the trailer with the auto-leveling system I have had two or three errors. You simply prese the enter button and at least in our case they go away and start over.

With the hydraulic system on my trailer I have never needed to go to the manual mode! the hydraulic rams have extended correctly each time we have used the system.

I do not use that option

I would never purchase a 5th wheel without that option on the trailer.

My answers are in RED!
Old 10-07-2019, 10:41 AM   #10

We have had ours for 3 summer seasons (we also camp in the fall and early winter), but we have only had a few error messages. These only occurred when we were about 4" out of level side to side. We put some levelling blocks under the wheels on the door side of the RV, as well as under the jacks and we were good to go. It takes ours about 2 minutes to fully level.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:03 PM   #11

On 4th 5er with it. No problems/ Never be without it.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:32 PM   #12

I have had 4 new motorhomes with auto level and never use it anymore. I can manually level in about 2 minutes which is faster than auto level. Auto level jerks the unit about too much and often results in a wheel off the ground.
Auto level is just not worth the bother!!
geneandjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 02:17 PM   #13

geneandjan, you use the hydraulic levelers, but not the auto level function, correct?
Rusty
Old 10-07-2019, 02:24 PM   #14

Rusty - correct, of course I use the hydraulic levelers but not the auto function!
Incidentally, not all levelers are hydraulic. The best I have ever had were electric motor levelers. No drift- they stay where you put them!
geneandjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:39 PM   #15

Auto level

Our TT came with the Lippert system (electric) It has been great. We had the Hydraulic system in our Georgetown. So it's safe to say that I am a fan of the system. I've always used 2X12 pads under the feet. Sometimes it goes a little overboard and levels the TT 6" off the ground. When that happens I go to auto hitch (like as if we a going home) everything retracts. Then hit auto level and it does a perfect job on the second time around.
PaulRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:56 PM   #16

Love auto level. Seldom get an error but just hit enter. Very handy when changing a tire on the side of a highway!
The Newsoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:12 PM   #17

Yup. Mine came with the 6 pt electric leveling system (Lippert 3.0). Im sure I paid for it in overall cost, but I love it. Hit auto level, and proceed to setting everything else up (water electric etc..) leveling is done before I get everything else done.

Won't buy another rig without it.

Mike
Old 10-07-2019, 09:12 PM   #18
Site Team

If it's like mine you can not move inside the RV while it's leveling. All must be still.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:43 AM   #19

geneandjan, I think I end up more level when I tweak manually, but for me the auto level lays me up pretty close. I can tell if I'm level just by opening my fridge door, if it swings by itself, I adjust.
Rusty
Old 10-08-2019, 05:45 AM   #20
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Wouldn't buy an RV without it. Remembers the height when re-hitching. Pretty accurate. If it's off, you can re-calibrate. The manual mode lets you adjust if you prefer. No blocks to mess with. Press a button and you're done. A minute at the most.
Rusty
Ditto - we have the LCI Level Up six point leveling system on our Cardinal and love it. About a minute max.

I do use 2x10 boards (two of them screwed together...10"x10") so the jacks aren't extended too far. Seems more stable that way than when they're fully extended.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling