Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2016, 01:27 PM   #1

Can squirrels damage roof?

We have our TT stored in our daughters yard and are planning on moving it to our yard soon. We have so many squirrels, possums and raccoons that visit our yard daily. They used to go from the trees, across the roof of our old shed and then to the trees in the back yard. Kind of like their highway. We took down the shed and the TT will be sitting right where the old shed was. I know they will use the top of the camper to cross the yard just like they did with the shed. I'm worried about their toenails making tiny holes in the membrane of the roof. Could that happen by them walking on it?
zinger60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:37 PM   #2

anything is possible. i wouldn't want those critters running all over my roof . I don't even like birds sitting on the roof .
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:41 PM   #3
Site Team

While anything is possible as NorthStar said, it's really not likely that they'll damage anything. You're in more danger of the chewing they may do, and that's a very long shot.

We have tons of squirrels and quite honestly, we don't worry about them damaging the RV.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:42 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

The membranes on the newer roofs are much thinner than even just a few years ago.
While they are tough, I don't think I'd want those animals running across the roof.
Just my opinion.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:54 PM   #5

Yup....they love to chew on things. I have a hard plastic lawnmower shed and one chewed a hole completely through the plastic on the corner of the room. They have also chewed on an aluminum jon boat I have.
ray98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:37 PM   #6

How would I keep them off or protect the roof?
zinger60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger60 View Post
How would I keep them off or protect the roof?
if a pellet gun is out of the question , maybe a owl decoy.
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 12:22 PM   #8

Squirrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
if a pellet gun is out of the question , maybe a owl decoy.
A Navy Seabee buddy used a paintball gun until his wife noticed the paint splotches on the squirrels and busted him. Kept Hoover and Bissel out of the feeder though.

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 12:27 PM   #9

Ive got them, ( 2 ac. of oak trees ) and other critters too, Ive had an RVs in the yard for the pass 27yrs, never had a problem
No-Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 05:25 PM   #10
Cadiz Couple

I don't know about a "roof" but earlier this year I tried to start my previously wonderful, great-running Tundra and it wouldn't run...I had to have it hauled 20 miles to the Toyota dealer who informed me that my truck was "a total loss"....squirrels had chewed seven wiring bundles in two, all around the engine. The dealer said that the engine would have to be removed to re-wire most everything under the hood. The USAA insurance investigator then came and told Toyota the patch the bundles together without removing the engine, which they did, but the damage was $8,000. I have put stockings full of moth balls under the hood and have trained my border collie to chase the little bastards, on sight. So far, so good.
Cadiz Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 05:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray98 View Post
Yup....they love to chew on things. I have a hard plastic lawnmower shed and one chewed a hole completely through the plastic on the corner of the room. They have also chewed on an aluminum jon boat I have.
one chewed the lead posts off an old battery I left outside. Bet he got a charge out of that.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
anything is possible. i wouldn't want those critters running all over my roof . I don't even like birds sitting on the roof .
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger60 View Post
We have our TT stored in our daughters yard and are planning on moving it to our yard soon. We have so many squirrels, possums and raccoons that visit our yard daily. They used to go from the trees, across the roof of our old shed and then to the trees in the back yard. Kind of like their highway. We took down the shed and the TT will be sitting right where the old shed was. I know they will use the top of the camper to cross the yard just like they did with the shed. I'm worried about their toenails making tiny holes in the membrane of the roof. Could that happen by them walking on it?
I would not be worried about critters crossing roof as long as they do not stop and decide to make a nest in your roof A/C. This has happened several times in our park in FL and on another occasion chewed their way into the roof ducting. Bad news and lots of damage.
rodm260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:11 PM   #13

Even an Oak tree has damaged a roof. The falling acorns punctured it. I move mine every fall. A fake owl is all I know of to keep squirrels away and it's not very effective. And keep mothballs in the engine area.
Maggiewaggie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof