Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2018, 02:12 PM   #1

Question Can we bring gas for generator across border

Into Canada? We are crossing at Metaline Falls WA with our 26 ft Travel Trailer and GMC truck with camper shell.

We keep our generators have a double paired in back of truck with a can of gas. Just need to know if that is allowed?

I am trying to figure out everything we can and cannot bring. I know about firewood, we don't have guns, and about fruits, veggies, dairy, meats. I read dog and cat food ok if made in USA and our brand is.

We know to bring info on pets and our passports and paper from car insurance.

Anything else we need to know?
treelady61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:20 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, you can bring gas. In fact, where I'm at, I know a lot of people that fill up in Michigan because it's about 0.30 to 0.40 per litre cheaper. They'll bring jerry cans with them to fill up as well.

For full details on what you can and can't bring, I recommend you check the CBSA site:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-v...c-rnc-eng.html

Note, you'll also want to check the US CBP site for when you return as well. Just because we let you bring it in here, doesn't always mean the US will let you bring it back.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citize...-mexico-travel
Old 06-15-2018, 02:30 PM   #3
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by treelady61 View Post
Into Canada? We are crossing at Metaline Falls WA with our 26 ft Travel Trailer and GMC truck with camper shell.

We keep our generators have a double paired in back of truck with a can of gas. Just need to know if that is allowed?

I am trying to figure out everything we can and cannot bring. I know about firewood, we don't have guns, and about fruits, veggies, dairy, meats. I read dog and cat food ok if made in USA and our brand is.

When you approach the checkpoint remove all sunglasses, roll your windows down and remember to look the Border Agent in the eye when you speak to them, or answer questions. Be mindful of quantities of any alcoholic beverages or tobacco products you may have in your possession. Most of all be courteous. If you're selected for secondary checks comply without comment. Most times, it's not that you're suspect, rather it's random. These Agents see a lot of nefarious characters and they are trained to spot those types. Remember, patience is a virtue at the crossing.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:55 PM   #4

I took gas for my generators plus my 100gal auxiliary fuel tank was full of diesel
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:04 PM   #5

Thanks for the info!
Old 06-16-2018, 12:50 PM   #6
Global Nomad

I have now crossed the boarder twice between lower 48 and Alaska. Showed passport, asked how long in Canada, and reason, and that was it. No other questions. I am towing a 40 ft. 5th wheel. I am surprised they did not ask about the 18 Mexicans I was hauling.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:12 PM   #7

We crossed last week towing boats with lots of extra gas with no problem. I used the NEXUS line and had only two questions. My brother, however had to submit his boat for search and steam cleaning the motor. He was not a happy "camper".

Ram2500 diesel / "Tuff Trailer" & custom boat.
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:22 PM   #8

They will ask next time!
RStormC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:02 PM   #9

FYI. I have it bookmarked for my trip to Canada.

What Can I Bring Into Canada in Terms Of Food, Plant, Animal and Related Products? - Canadian Food Inspection Agency
mgarland48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:37 PM   #10

Quote:

Crossing into Canada this spring we just were not sure what we could bring in the way of food. Border website difficult to navigate and things do change.

So wife printed out what we had on paper, fruit veggies et. Handed list to officer who said, that's a good idea, he circled what we were not allowed, just about everything on list. He instructed us to pull forward and drive up beside building were there was a large freezer. we were told just to leave the items in freezer and proceed from there.

It was a freezer chest but only set to a cool temp. Full of vegies fruit. It would be my hope that the contents would be donated. Just before the border crossing there was a sign asking for food donations for some good cause, can not remember name, so next year we will stop there and unload.
cariboo camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
When you approach the checkpoint remove all sunglasses, roll your windows down and remember to look the Border Agent in the eye when you speak to them, or answer questions. Be mindful of quantities of any alcoholic beverages or tobacco products you may have in your possession. Most of all be courteous. If you're selected for secondary checks comply without comment. Most times, it's not that you're suspect, rather it's random. These Agents see a lot of nefarious characters and they are trained to spot those types. Remember, patience is a virtue at the crossing.
Also shut your engine off, at least in a motorhome for sure. Been asked every time and last time beat the officer to the request. His comment, "done this before have you?" Kind of an ice breaker.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:25 PM   #12

We are camping two weeks before Canada so I will just make sure I run out of fruit and veggies and anything they don't like. Do most stores in Canada take credit cards or an american debit card so I won't need cash for groceries?
Old 06-16-2018, 09:29 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
We are camping two weeks before Canada so I will just make sure I run out of fruit and veggies and anything they don't like. Do most stores in Canada take credit cards or an american debit card so I won't need cash for groceries?

Credit cards no problem. Our debit cards run on Interac so yours would have to be compatible with that. Similar to us on the American side, credit no problem, debit hit and miss.

Note, we’re really used to chip and pin over here, so if your cards have a chip, be sure to know what your pin is.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:56 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Credit cards no problem. Our debit cards run on Interac so yours would have to be compatible with that. Similar to us on the American side, credit no problem, debit hit and miss.

Note, we’re really used to chip and pin over here, so if your cards have a chip, be sure to know what your pin is.
Watch the fees on Credit Cards, many charge foreign transaction fees in. my Costco Visa does not.

I find crossing into Canada is often simpler (and more polite) then returning to the USA. Be polite and turthfull and you will have no issues. When I was a long haired bearded teenager in the 70s things did not always go well at the boarder.

-Bill
NoviBill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboo camper View Post
Crossing into Canada this spring we just were not sure what we could bring in the way of food. Border website difficult to navigate and things do change.

So wife printed out what we had on paper, fruit veggies et. Handed list to officer who said, that's a good idea, he circled what we were not allowed, just about everything on list. He instructed us to pull forward and drive up beside building were there was a large freezer. we were told just to leave the items in freezer and proceed from there.

It was a freezer chest but only set to a cool temp. Full of vegies fruit. It would be my hope that the contents would be donated. Just before the border crossing there was a sign asking for food donations for some good cause, can not remember name, so next year we will stop there and unload.

I get to the border, I shut off the engine. I give the officer the passports and drivers license and the vehicle information if he asks for it. I keep my mouth shut, I do not volunteer any information. He asks how long I’m going to be in Canada and where I’m going, I say Alaska or home. I usually carry meats and veggies and fruit. The officer has a job to do and it’s not to get friendly with me. Don’t volunteer any information and most of all smile and keep your mouth shut. No matter what happens be polite, but don’t volunteer information. Answer the border guards questions and just be polite but no extra information. We like to talk but not to the border guards, doesn’t matter if it’s Canadian or American border guards.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I get to the border, I shut off the engine. I give the officer the passports and drivers license and the vehicle information if he asks for it. I keep my mouth shut, I do not volunteer any information. He asks how long I’m going to be in Canada and where I’m going, I say Alaska or home. I usually carry meats and veggies and fruit. The officer has a job to do and it’s not to get friendly with me. Don’t volunteer any information and most of all smile and keep your mouth shut. No matter what happens be polite, but don’t volunteer information. Answer the border guards questions and just be polite but no extra information. We like to talk but not to the border guards, doesn’t matter if it’s Canadian or American border guards.
Are you suggesting I volunteered extra information? I guess so, four times and keep my mouth shut two times. I did not offer any extra information, the officer asked if we had any fruits or vegetables as they always do. Everything was on the list, makes the process quicker and the officer appreciated what we had done.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:47 PM   #17

Good to know about Costco Visa thats the one I use anyway, get more end of year!

You don't need a pin for credit cards do you? I have chip on both CC and ATM.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:30 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Good to know about Costco Visa thats the one I use anyway, get more end of year!

You don't need a pin for credit cards do you? I have chip on both CC and ATM.

We have pins on our CCs too. Enter them for both CC and Debit transactions.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboo camper View Post
Are you suggesting I volunteered extra information? I guess so, four times and keep my mouth shut two times. I did not offer any extra information, the officer asked if we had any fruits or vegetables as they always do. Everything was on the list, makes the process quicker and the officer appreciated what we had done.

The officer didn’t ask us about fruits and vegetables and I didn’t volunteer anything. I just smiled and was polite. All he asked was where we were going and how long we were going to be in country.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:19 PM   #20

Just keep a list of all the things you are concerned about and read it to the crossing guard. If you start the list fairly benign.... they might just wave you through.

"Item number 213: Pinochle cards. Are pinochle cards allowed?"

"Move along,,,, PLEASE!"
klickitatjim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, generator