Old 05-07-2015, 01:02 PM   #101
Originally Posted by Paul Darold View Post
My wife has always been reluctant to drive when the 35 foot travel trailer is in tow. She said she could do it if she had too. Recently she had to. I fell and broke my leg while on vacation. She needed to tow the trailer to a safe location, get it unhooked and secured to wait for someone from home to retrieve the trailer. This created a lot of stress for her as she had trouble maneuvering the rig in a small, crowded hospital parking lot. I ended up being in a hospital, 9 hours from home, for 5 days. Needless to say she will be getting "towing lessons" just as soon as the leg is healed!
My wife is very good at a lot of things, but towing a trailer isn't one of them. Not because of ability, but rather confidence. We will be on a 4.5 hour trip this afternoon towing the 27 ft. TT. I'll try to get her to drive for a bit. I've always had larger diesel trucks and now am using a "little" F-150. So I am less comfortable towing with it than I was with larger trucks. I am a CDL driver and have driven a lot of class 8 rigs, which makes my F-150 feel a bit skittish to me. I prefer to drive and definitely wouldn't be able to relax, at this point, if she were driving. She also doesn't know how to do any setup or takedown, but the food is always good and the kids are well taken care of! And she's great to cuddle at night...

kevinstennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:23 PM   #102
Location: Jonesboro AR--Home of Arkansas State University and the Red Wolves
Started reading this thread a few days ago....mentioned to the DW what the topic of discussion was.....she started of yesterday she has us now enrolled in the Good Sam's Travel Assist insurance program....didn't take her long to decide she could find enough extra change laying around to pay that affordable premium.....guess I can put the orange cones away for now.

Lloyd & Kathy & Kit(17 yr old cat)
2014 Forest River Cedar Creek Silverback 33RL
2016 Chevy 3500HD Z71 LTZ 4WD Crew Cab, DuraMax/Allison.
2014 - 38 nights/3500 mi.
2015 - 66 nights/6260 mi.
2016 - 33 nights/4707 mi.
jtownstumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 02:19 PM   #103
Boss Ox & Drovergirl
and I resent any remarks otherwise
Mark, Vicki, & Scout THE dog
2015 Hemisphere 282RK
2010 F250 Super Duty
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 02:40 PM   #104
Hope your leg is all better, now. My wife got professional driving lessons from her cousin (Professional Driving Instructor - Semi's) and now drives our Georgetown. Had to get her to slow down after I caught her passing a semi at 80 MPH!!
Mike & Sherry
2015 Georgetown 329
Toad: 2014 Honda CRV EX-L
Days Camped 2015 = 57
Days Camped 2016 = 53[SIGPIC]
MSB68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:15 PM   #105
My wife is getting lessons "any day now" - been trying to take her out with my 6x12 cargo trailer as a basic lesson - turning, backing up, etc then we'll move up to our TT.

Just can't get our schedules and the weather to cooperate...maybe this weekend. Gonna get teh TT out and prepped for good time to try it!

We're taking a trip about 14 hours from home this summer and while it's broken down into legs, each is still 7-8 hours so she wants to be able to drive to relive me and just in case she needs to (not that I plan to break a leg!)
Jill & Chris, Wills (14) Evie (11) & Toby our collie (5)
2011 Grey Wolf 28BH
2013 Chevy K1500 Crew w/ Reese StraitLine Dual Cam

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 3
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:22 PM   #106
My wife has towed the trailer a few times now. The last time was for about 2 hours and she did a great job. We were on a multilane highway and came up on a lane closure which put us down to 1 lane. There were barriers on one side and cones on the other. She navigated it smoothly, even when we came up upon a blown truck tire just about in the centre of the lane. She was able to manouever it right past the tire with no problem.
She is not interested in backing up at all. Think I will try to get her to practice a little this season.

Bill and Diane
2012 Grey Wolf 18RB
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Equalizer Hitch
Wildcat661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:36 PM   #107
I'm probably in the VAST minority, but I (the wife) am the tower 99.9% of the time and my HUSBAND doesn't tow.

He did tow a few times with our smaller RVs, just mid-leg stretches with huge truck stops for trading drivers. He's never backed into anything.

In hindsight I really wish I had pushed him to learn and get comfortable on our smaller units. Now we have a 33'' TT that, while not that much different for me, seems overwhelming for him now. I'm going to have to take him to an empty parking lot and get his confidence up!

I have a sway issue I want to address on the new TT before he gets behind the wheel of it. I don't want him to panic! It's new so I'm still working out load balancing for tongue weight and the proper WDH setting with the chains. I'm *this close* to pulling the trigger on a blue ox WDH that I hope really improves the towing experience when in high wind or being passed by trucks. THEN i'll let him drive!

For now his job is to navigate, hop out to remove the sway bar, and wave his arms like a crazy person while I back in. I'm not entirely sure what all the waving is about.
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:57 PM   #108

I'm with you, Loaura! I'm female and I tow about 70% of the time and 100% of the time when backing. I usually did all the towing when we had our popup and hybrid, along with the backing, but then I developed vertigo problems and he began doing all the driving and backing of our 35'TT.

When we upgraded to the 5'er, I was competent enough and confident enough with my vertigo to begin driving again. (Yes, I still have it, but I have adjusted and use measured movements to compensate). DH HATES to back the 5'er in because he says it doesn't respond like the TT did, so now, I have backing in duties while he, too, stands back and waves his arms.

I guess both of us can do it and I have HAD to do it when we had our popup. We were at the beach and he ended up in the hospital for 5 days. When he was finally well enough to come home, I packed it up, hooked it up, picked him up and ran for home.

I can't believe the number of women (sorry) that think they are too small, petite, or whatever to drive their rig. There is really nothing that is required that takes someone with massive muscles to do! We have hydraulics on the front of the 5'er and the back stabilizers can be handled with a drill. Huh, I wonder why I take DH with me, anyway.

Oh yeah, I remember!!!!
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:04 PM   #109
I do all the driving on ours, BUT, I did "force" her to drive it some just to make sure she could if I fell off the stairs and broke my leg or something.
She doesn't have much confidence in it and it would be a LONG trip home, but I am confident she would get us there.
Mark B
2015 32 Foot Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2013 Chevy 3/4 Ton TV
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:12 PM   #110
I tow our 35ft bumper pull with a very lifted duramax!

k_soldan is offline   Reply With Quote