Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2015, 07:20 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
Glenn, are you sure Travel Assist would help if your wife was "able" but just didn't want to ??

This is from the Travel Assist website: If you and your traveling companion aren't able to drive, Good Sam Travel Assist will send out a professional driver to get your vehicle home. Be interesting to see if that wording could come back to haunt someone.
That is interesting. I did not know such benefits were able to be purchased. I just figured you would have to take the air out of two tires and then have them tow it the couple hundred miles home for you. Most people only carry one spare so you need to take the air out of two tires each on the TV and the RV and claim a bad stretch of road.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:44 PM   #62

Before we bought out first TT (on our 2nd now), I told her there were 2 rules she had to agree to:
1) we had to go camping at least 1 weekend a month
2) she had to learn how to drive, set-up and break-down the rig.

Last weekend when we finished getting ready to leave the SP, I looked in the truck and she and the "kids" (four legs and fury) were already in the truck, her in the driver's seat. We've only had this new rig 2 months... so I don't think I have much to worry about.
Cooksonthego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:11 PM   #63
Minnesotan

Spouse / Partner position is open. I was single when I bought the 37' 5er and F350 CC LB diesel (still am). Get quite a few double takes and comments.

I've learned a lot from this forum and anytime I need to research something this is the first place I look.

Katie
kaschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:20 PM   #64

My wife has driven the truck once, and I was in the passenger seat fearing for my fenders the entire time. She insists on driving on the white line, and that's not the route to take with a dually. I find riding in her Focus with her to be a hair raising experience at times. There is no way I would hand her the keys to the truck with the trailer attached. I'd buy my brother or one of my buddies a plane ticket first.
2016 Nights camped 5
ferguson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:48 PM   #65

Oh yeah, my wife has no problem pulling the trailer. Hooking and unhooking. She's just not the best backer upper!
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:02 PM   #66

DW drives our rig all the time.... from the passenger seat.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:12 PM   #67

My wife drove my Ram 1500 only once when I first bought it and that was just down the block we live on. Forget about towing.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:18 PM   #68

My DW refuses to try. Would rather leave it parked and find someone else drive it if something would happen to me.

"Camping is not just a past time it is my relaxing way of life"
buskirk21921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:50 PM   #69

Since my wife was an expert from the passenger seat it only seemed right to let her have the drivers seat. She does a great job pulling the trailer or our 30 ft. boat. She can back it, but usually when we get to the CG she says "you park it". Much better for me. I'm the official navigator, book reader and am very relaxed when we get to our destination. Best move we ever made!
Old 04-30-2015, 11:08 PM   #70

Wife here.....drive, set up and break down our 30 ft class c. I also load and unload it. When my dh feels like it (bad back/legs), he helps, too. Just came in today from Nashville; Seven Points Campground.
rlchall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:46 AM   #71

I do a lot of the driving, and most of the set up\take down on our Class C. I often head out to a campground several hours before my husband gets off work. By the time he gets there, everything is done.
wendylys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:01 AM   #72
Wait till next year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodler View Post
DW drives our rig all the time.... from the passenger seat.
Know that situation. I dont need the gps to tell me I'm over the limit get a sudden pain in my side from a bony finger
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:04 AM   #73

Thumbs up Kudos

Kudos to all the DW, significant others, and to those that own and drive their own rigs! It is very cool that you have stepped up to drive/set up and not decided to ride in the passenger seat. BTW - the rest of us don't like backing up either...just saying. My DW drives and always helps set up and break down the TT by her choice, what a bonus.

I have three daughters and they were all taught that they can do anything anyone else can do; doesn't mean they don't pull the "but I'm a girl" routine when they feel it is needed.

Go ladies, Go!
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:32 AM   #74
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowgli64 View Post
DW does not tow and does not want to. Truthfully I would be a nervous wreck with her towing. She actually is to the point where she doesn't care for driving at all.
That is TOWTA exactly, in fact she is getting to the point she doesn't even want to ride in the car or truck out on the highway, towing or not. She won't even drive the truck empty, "It's too big".
Old 05-01-2015, 11:48 AM   #75

40 years ago DW drove a school bus, in Pittsburgh, on the hills, in winter snow and ice.
Class A---- no problem!!!!
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:50 PM   #76

May not be for everyone.

I'm not sure all spouses should be expected to learn how to tow and be able to set-up/tear down. It really depends on the experience, physical abilities, confidence and willingness to learn all of this. One of the first questions is, "Where is the best source for training a willing spouse who wants to learn the many nuances, etc?" Many of us could probably use some expert training and advice on best towing practices and techniques. I am not sure that all are capable of teaching the spouse the best practices in that regard. Finally, if a spouse is reluctant, why pressure them into doing something that creates stress and anxiety for camping that is supposed to be a relaxing and positive experience?
magpi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:08 PM   #77

She learned to drive in NJ in a town with three traffic circles (death before yielding). Her mom used to drive their rig. First chance we had I asked her to drive the yukon under load. She did great.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:09 PM   #78

I do all driving and most set up and breaking down. My wife said she would like to learn to tow the wildcat but when asked if she wanted drive on freeway it is always next time. Today I noticed Good Sam has a deal for $78 they will help with medical transport as well as getting wife,puppies and rig safely home. So hope I don't need it but if I do hope it does what it states.
67cudafb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:38 PM   #79
Site Team

I think that everyone should learn to hitch, tow and unhitch. While most couples have some a well worn division of labor regarding towing, you just never know when there will be a need for the other to take up the slack.

A couple of years ago we were camping with another couple along the Oregon coast, 400 miles from home. The guys rented a zodiac for some fishing and were broad sided by a drunk boater. They were both injured. My husband had some stitches and scrapes but the other guy had some broken bones. After they were patched up we had the challenge of getting home. She didn't tow - ever and he was on pain meds and wearing a spanking new plaster cast. To make matters worse they had a vintage truck with a stick shift.

My husband towed our rig home (nice cushy truck and an automatic) and I towed the other trailer home with their truck. My DH just couldn't manage the clutch with his taped up leg. Tough trip home. A few weeks later the wife called me up and asked me to show her how to drive a stick, hitch and tow. She learned and surprisingly quickly. She showed up to "lessons" with a note pad and a camera and wanted lots of step by step instructions but she got it. The clutch even survived.

One of the over arching problems is often the skilled partner being unwilling or unable to teach in a non-judgmental way and the student not wanting to appear to be a dummy; this was her problem as well. She didn't want to fail in front of her husband and he was unable to relax enough to teach her. She still doesn't routinely tow but she knows she can do it if needed and her husband occasionally brags now about his cool wife who can tow with the best of them. This summer I guess we're going to have dump station lessons.... joy.
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:30 PM   #80
Site Team

I turned 68 in April and I don't predict that I have enough time left on earth to convince my bride of almost 48 years that she should even ATTEMPT to tow our trailer. She only drives our truck if it's absolutely necessary although she will strike out in her GMC Terrain by herself for a 3+ hour ride to visit our daughter and family. She has said that, if I should croak, she might just trade the truck and trailer for a class C and do some camping with her sister.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote