Old 04-30-2015, 01:45 PM   #41
Traveling along
Wife here -
I would like to drive the trailer but I am blind in one eye and have no perception of depth or width. I can't even park the truck properly between the lines. Looks OK to me until I get out. Pisses me off. I could drive one rest stop area to another but thats it. Gas stations, never!
I can unhook and set up no problem. Thank goodness we're retired and don't have to rush anywhere. Hubby has a bad back so we will do short drives whenever we go anywhere.

Bill and Margo

2014 Silverado 1500
2014 Tracer Air 235

Bill and Margo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:59 PM   #42
Yes she does. Always has known how to. I would not feel comfortable traveling as much as we do if she did not.

2015 F-350 SRW 6.7 PSD
2014 Crusader 295RST

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:05 PM   #43
Yes my wife has driven all we've had. She drove all from IL to Daytona one year because I had the flu. She does great!
Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:11 PM   #44
My wife never drove our 21' class C, let alone our current 35' class A. I think that she would be able to, but she is scared to even try.
Bluesbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:14 PM   #45
Admittedly my wife learned from trial and error.

1st trailer was a small landscape trailer. She tried backing it in to the driveway alone. After trying from one direction and not being able to do it because "it must have been getting stuck in the gutter", she turned it around to try from the other side. End result = 2 8" gashes to the fenders of my new truck.

2nd was our pop-up - first time out backed it in to a tree - somehow managed to get the tree stuck between the bumper and the camper.

3rd was our hybrid - weekend we got it she tried to get gas with it attached - sideswiped the concrete pylon they put in front of the pumps. End result = 14" gash down the side of the camper.

When we bought the new one and were going through the list of things we each wanted for it I simply said "1 year damage free".
Craig & Lynn D'Angelo

cdangel0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:19 PM   #46
Shoot. I would be more than happy if she could drive straight down the highway. Forget about backing up. I can do all that. It would just be nice if she could learn how to drive down a superhighway.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:24 PM   #47
Site Team
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
I do not feel safe when I sleep while driving.
I wouldn't feel safe if I slept while driving either.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:29 PM   #48
Yes she does, in fact I woke up one time and we were travelling on a 6 lane road in Calf. with traffic everywhere, and she never said a word. We pulled up at a Loves truck stop and a woman trucker ask my wife how our rig handled, she said no problems, but she hasn't learned to back it in yet. We pull a 40' Montana 5th wheel behind a Dodge Ram, and soon I'm probably going to have to set out traffic cones in a parking lot some where so she can practice backing it up .....
Det107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:06 PM   #49
Moderators' Assistant
Yep, my DW has no problem pulling out trailer, even in and out of gas stations.
The only thing she prefers me to do, is backing up the trailer.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:38 PM   #50

I drove our ROO home from Richmond to NE North Carolina when we picked up just to get a feel for it incase something happens to my DH. ABOUT A MONTH AGO WE HOOKED UP ON. sun and went to a high school parking lot to practice driving and backing into a space then I drove home. You just never know when something might happen. I think we have talked our hesitant daughter in law into driving theirs.

Also learned how to hook up and unhook as well as turning everything on. In fact I'm hauling ours to a campground about an he away the middle of May as my DH is out of town. He will met the dog and I a couple days later.

Ncgrandma is online now   Reply With Quote