Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2015, 10:03 AM   #21
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
Would love the wife to be able to drive our rig, she did drive the pick up and wood trailer but that's about it, with the Kenworth she plans to be like ET & phone home just hope we are safely off the road.
Lol funny.
Amy drove the peterbilt once albeit we "slip seated"

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "2 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:15 AM   #22

My wife can't back a normal vehicle into a parking spot, let alone a camper. BUT, she can tow the trailer on the road and can set it up and break it down by herself. We learned to set it up and break it down by doing it together, and we still do that.

Before I retired, she would sometimes tow the camper to a campground near our home. When I arrived after work, she would have the trailer off the truck (in a pull-through site), everything set up, dinner on the table and a beer (for me) in her hand. With that, I can't complain about the lack of backing skills.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:24 AM   #23
RVer

My wife can set it up and break it down. She could drive it but I can't get her to get behind the wheel.

Family fun is the most fun.
shanbub4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:33 AM   #24

Are you nuts? :)

She makes me nervous driving her Highlander.
In an emergency?
The dog will have to step up.

P.S. She doesn't mow the yard either....
but that's for another thread.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:44 AM   #25
Site Team

I haven't towed any of our trailers since we sold our last pop-up, but my wife would get anxious whenever I towed that.

She has never had her license and has no plans to ever get it either.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:14 AM   #26
Broken Toe

Sorta related, but funny:

Back in 2001 when I bought our first boat, I decided that I am NOT gonna play that game where the family just sits in the boat while Dad backs it into the water, then gets outta the truck, climbs in the boat, backs it off the trailer, ties up to the dock, and then walks back to get the truck and trailer off the ramp.

So I gave Mama-Bear the choice, she can either run the truck or the boat. She chose boat. For the most part she did 'okay'. Getting off the trailer and picking me up is easy, but getting back on the trailer was not. If we put in on a River with a current, then all bets were off.

If she would have just listened to my direction, there would have been no issues, but she is a very strong-willed woman who chafes at me telling her anything. One day, with a particularity swift current, she was having no end of problems and was getting steamed at me "screaming at her" (I was not). She yelled at me to just shut up and she would be OK.

Fine. I leaned back on the tailgate of the truck, adopted my #1 attitude of smug, and let her do it herself. 10 of the longest minutes of my life later, (at the ragged edge of her temper) she finally chops the throttle and yelled at me. "All right Mr. Smarty-Pants... What am I doing wrong?" I replied, very calmly that "Dear, the first rule is the pointy end of the boat goes on first". She had the poor old bayliner sitting dead sideways across the trailer, and actually hung up on the fenders.

I was not aware that my sweet, loving wife was capable of generating that long a stream of high-grade profanity in public.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:29 AM   #27

DW does not tow and does not want to. Truthfully I would be a nervous wreck with her towing. She actually is to the point where she doesn't care for driving at all.

(2013 Ford F150 Crewcab Ecoboost traded)
Mowgli64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:41 AM   #28

My wife is a great driver (or I live in a state where everyone else is). We commute to work, and on the rare occasions that she drives, I bury my head into my phone or keep my eyes tightly shut. So, no, she's never pulled any of our trailers we've had.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:46 AM   #29

Mine can't even park her Chevy aveo between the lines in a parking lot I like having my truck and trailer with no dents in them. My 17 year old daughter knows how to hook and unhook and tow the 5th wheel she hasn't mastered backing in yet
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:21 PM   #30

Most of these comments deal with backing up or being able to hook or unhook - which is nice to have . But the really important skill is how to handle your rig in an emergency! This needs to be learned because anyone can get behind the wheel and go down a highway. It's when the situation suddenly changes that counts.
ottawapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:25 PM   #31
GLCM Warrior

My DW towed our TT once when my back was giving me fits...although then she only pulled out on the highway. Once we got near town, she wasn't too willing to tow the TT the rest of the way home so I got back in the driver's seat.

With our 5'ver, my wife usually tows to & from our storage lot which is about 4-5 miles each way (she's only curb kissed once so far. ). She also does a lot of the backing when we reach our destinations while I guide from beside the driver/passenger's window. I'm sure she can tow our 5'ver out on any highway too...but she doesn't have very much experience yet.

This past winter, we developed checklists for hitching & unhitching but still have yet to shake them down to be sure we covered all the steps.

We both think it important that she can hitch up & tow if the need arises.
Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:28 PM   #32

I made, what I thought was a mistake, getting in the driver's seat while getting instructions on the 24' Class C we rented in Alaska. Well, I ended up doing all the driving for that trip as well as two others. Since I felt so confident I told my husband we should buy a trailer and I would do the driving. He agreed and hasn't towed the trailer yet, we've only had it 2 seasons. I need to work on hooking and unhooking in case I go with a friend.

My only problem is we have a 23IKSS and I need to teach my friend, who is really short, how to lower and raise the bunk ends. Anyone have any suggestions for short people? Has anyone raised and lowered the ends on their own?

Bonnie
dudleydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:35 PM   #33

I took my wife to a big open mall parking lot to practice wit the trailer behind the truck and she was very excited to try! I have a 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD with a crew cab and 8ft bed. She jumped in the drivers seat looked at the side mirror jumped back out and said FORGET IT! LOL! :-D She said there's NO WAY she was even going to try! I pull a cherokee 28a+ and she said she'll never tow something bigger than the truck. LOL! :-D
muzykman819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:50 PM   #34

Very interesting posts, my wife drives my truck and can tow a trailer. She towed our last fifth as it was less than 10000 lbs. GW. Now this trailer is a little longer and GW is around 13300 lbs gross? The problem for us now is that were we live our driver licensing authority requires us to have a class 3 license for anything over 10000 lbs. towed, meaning more driver tests, examinations and medical for authorization. My wife is not interested in the tests and examinations. If push came to shove she could and would drive the rig to the nearest help.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:18 PM   #35

My DW decided when we got the new 5er to learn how to drive it. First she learned how to hook and setup after we got them. Then towing with me and now is towing without me in the setup. She has been mastering it well. We have a 4500 mile trip in Aug and want to drive halfway. She is a trooper and k is tens and asks a lot of very good questions. I don't know if she wants learn or prepare to through me away.LOL It is a 42 foot trailer.
jester
Jestercyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:24 PM   #36
Old Ram Guy

She can tow the trailer but the problem is she can't seem to get me into the truck when she does it!! She knows how to set it up though and sometimes has to remind me what to do.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:33 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Can your spouse/partner drive your rig?

DW has no issues pulling the trailer, but she refuses to back it up. Don't really know why either, considering she backs up the shop trailers, which are almost the same length, without an issue.

I think she just hates my truck. I hear it every time she drives that she can't see over the hump and I that I should have gotten a different brand. (Not going to go into brand details...)
Old 04-30-2015, 01:40 PM   #38

If I am alive I am pulling the camper, besides the DW is blind in one eye from a rock when she was a kid and her depth perecption is a little off as my camper mirrors on my truck show the scares from the mail box

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:44 PM   #39

My wife will not go near the drivers wheel. I tried tough love and left her on the side of the road telling her to drive it 3 miles down the road and she sat on the road side for 2 hours before I gave in and got her. never happen.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:44 PM   #40

Nope. My wife is not able to tow our pop up. I would like her to learn so we could share some of the duties but it is man's work to her. It just limits us to how far we can go each day as I do not feel safe when I sleep while driving. I stay within 6 hours of home and since we have the Atlantic to the east, that whole potential range is not available.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote