Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2015, 02:17 PM   #1

Canada USA border

Just watched a TV show about the Canada - USA border, longest undefended border in the world!

But did you know that there are two areas of USA that in order to get there by road you first have to drive thru Canada. One being Point Roberts, Washington and the other being Northwest Angle, Minnesota.

The only Canadian area that requires driving thru the USA to get to is Campobello Island, New Brunswick.

Anybody know of others??

Just an interesting fact, and the good relationship between two sovereign nations.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:20 PM   #2

Alaska would be your third one.....
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:19 PM   #3

Ah yes! Alaska, however I was thinking more along the lines of frequent crossing e.g. daily weekly.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:57 PM   #4

How involved is crossing with a TT?
Sallen80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sallen80 View Post
Not sure I understand your question?? Crossing into Canada with a TT is no different than crossing with just a passenger vehicle, pretty simple.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sallen80 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post
Not sure I understand your question?? Crossing into Canada with a TT is no different than crossing with just a passenger vehicle, pretty simple.
To a degree - as long as you remember to have a current US Passport (Oddly enough not so much to get into Canada, but to get back in to the USA)

Make sure all your pets have current vaccinations AND a current (within 30 days) health certificate from your vet.

If you are traveling with minors, make sure they have passports as well. If they are not your children, make sure you have a notarized affidavit from their parents allowing you to transport their children across the border.

The Canadian border authorities take a VERY dim view about guns - if you plan on transporting firearms, make sure you read up on all the regulations.

The only difference a TT will make is if the Border authorities want to search the RV it will take more time crossing over. There are import restrictions as well on alcohol, meat, and fruits/fresh vegetables.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:48 PM   #7

I seem to get searched coming back in almost all of the time regardless of what I am driving. ?That is why I no longer go to Canada.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:14 PM   #8

You don't go to Canada because you get searched going back home? Lol. With the strong US dollar right now Canada is a bargain. There is a poultry ban on right now. No uncooked poultry, including eggs.
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:29 PM   #9

4 hour line to get pack into U.S.A. last time. I don't care how "unsecured" it is, I'm never crossing it again. If Canada is such a bargain why do they spend all winter down here in the Coachella Valley.
notaz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:42 PM   #10

Many Canadians go south in the winter for the warm weather. As far as the bargain goes, right now the exchange rate is around 1.26. That means for every 1 US dollar you get 1.26 Canadian. If your going on a 2 week vacation with a 2500 budget you would have over 3000 Canadian. But you're right about the line ups at the borders. Just avoid crossing on weekend's.
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:26 AM   #11
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post
But did you know that there are two areas of USA that in order to get there by road you first have to drive thru Canada. One being Point Roberts, Washington and the other being Northwest Angle, Minnesota.
The creation of Point Roberts was a cartographer blooper. They intended to run the 49th parallel midway into the Strait of Georgia not realizing that, geographically speaking, they were hacking off the southern part of what is now Tsawwassen. Officials didn't realize this until the ink was dry and a subsequent referendum saw the residents south of the new border opt to side with the USA.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada