Old 03-27-2010, 11:13 AM   #1
Site Team

Hey, does anyone haul along a canoe or kayak to do some day paddling and exploring while at the campground? I'd be interested in what you use and how it works for you. In some ways, it's a little late to ask the question as we just ordered a Sevylor Colorado inflatable. Anyway, jump in and let us know what you use and how you like it; pro's, con's . . .

2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost, 2016 Surveyor 274BHS
2003 Yamaha FJR1300, Demco Premiere Slider
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
I have a Pelican Navigator:

I wanted a lightweight canoe that I can load on the TracRacs by myself. This is 13.6' model that weighs in at 52 lbs. It is well made and paddles great.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
Now this is a post I can help with! As you can see in my avitar pic, I bring a couple kayaks with me. A water craft is by far the best way to explore as you get a perspective of your surroundings imposible to see by hiking or biking, although I do all that as well. What style of craft all depends on your personal expectations. I own everything from kayks to inflatable kayaks, rafts with frames, SUP, float tubes, fishing cat, ect, all manual devices, I'm not a motor head to any degree.

For weight and storage, an IK or Inflatable Kayak is by far the best choice. A simple pvc IK from a hardware store will suit you fine if you only use it a couple times a year. If you want to fish from the IK, I suggest finding an IK with a Nylon cover to prevent hooks deflating your fun.

Canoes are an old favorite, but size, weight, and stability are their downfall. They haul a bunch of gear and I have seen up to 8 people in a 14ft canoe, but thats asking for disaster. Kayaks are by far more stable as they lower your center of gravity and each paddle stoke gives you a brace on the craft unlike a single bladed canoe paddle can do.

The key to remember about kayaks is, short crafts are easy to manuever, but lack speed. The longer the cradft the more speed you get from A-B, but the less stable you are going to be standing still. I could spend 2 hrs posting on design, but my suggestion is, ask around when you are out and about. I have been in the paddle sports industry for years and can tell you, when you step into a shop, 99% of them are going to try and sell you what they have the most stock of and telling you its the best for you.

One other craft that is super impresive is a Stand Up Paddleboard (SUP) it is the fastest growing aspect of the industry and amazing fun. My 68 y/o father has one and loves it. They are super stable, pretty fast, and most entry level ones are designed for the lowest commen denominator. I have one and use it as my lake fly fishing platform when I don't feel like sitting waste deep in my flaot tube or bringing out the bulky fishing cat! Here is a link to one that can be used as an SUP or, you take the T Handle off the paddle, add the second blade, and clip in the foam seat, and you have a sit on top kayak at your disposal, its truely the best of all worlds. Not to mention its made from durable plastic. Heres the link:
Tony Z
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:38 AM   #4
Check out Dick's Sporting Goods. Yesterday they had (Orange Park Mall Florida) a new small one about 9 foot that was on sale for $149. If there is one near you they have a large choice of Yaks.
jaxfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:52 PM   #5
I love the kayaks, I have two Necky's one is 14 foot (Zoar), on is 16 foot (Eskia), the third kayak is an Old Town, 16 foot, open cockpit style, both the Necky's have rudders.

Of the three, I like the 16 foot Necky the best, like tonyz stated, the length is equal to speed, therefore I like this one the best because of the style and manueverability of the craft, I can cover some distance with little effort, it has option for using a skirt if necessary.

The 14' Necky is the best for the kids, light enough and easy to control, again a skirt can be used if wanted, for the kids we don't let them use the skirt until they are big enough to really manage pulling it if they get turned over.

The Oldtown Loon has an open cocpit with two seats, we usually stick my 4 yr old in the middle and take three of us. It is wide which makes it stable, more than a canoe, but the width slows it down, there is no rudder and it doesn't track a strait line very well.

We usually take all three kayaks everywhere we go, and we have one rule no matter where we are and how close to the shore, we ALWAYS wear life jackets, even as we are strong swimmers.

I carry them on top of my suburban, I use Thule kayak racks, easy to load, secure and travel with.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote