Old 05-10-2010, 05:08 PM   #11

thank you all for your insight, we will look into all the avenues that you have listed,,the smell is in no doubt, coming from the bathroom, as soon as you flush the toilet, that nasty smell filters up through, I did have the fantastic fan running the whole weekend, along with the Lil Stanker vent fan, and still had a problem,,
I am hoping that the weather played a big part in the problem, however, I still think that we have an issue here...being on a permanent site, we dont have the luxury of being able to add stuff to the tank and let it slosh around and clean things out,
we will start with the obvious and work our way from there...I greatly appreciate all of your suggestions...

Old 07-13-2010, 05:12 PM   #12

Don't know if you got rid of the smell yet but I read on here somewhere about the Calgon and then to put a cup of laundry detergent (dry) and water in. We had an issue last year of the same thing you are explaining and when opening up this year it started again, so we tried this and it worked great. We are not currenty using anything else but Calgon water softner and detergent. It smells wonderful and hope it continues to work well.

2011 Shamrock 23ss
2000 Suburban 1500 4 X 4
ngts camped 2016-24 so far. reservations for 11 more
ilovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:22 AM   #13

Ilovecamping Are you using this in your black tank or just the grey tanks? How much do you use ?
Old 07-14-2010, 10:11 PM   #14

No we have not completely gotten rid of the smell yet, we did however notice that the closer it gets to needing emptied, the more it begins to smell,,,I am using the calgon but have never heard of using detergent with it,,do you have a special detergent that you like? I will try anything, that smell makes me crazy, our other trailer had the same vent fan that this one has, and once installed in the old trailer, never had an ounce of smell after that...I am very frustrated trying to solve this problem.. I will try anything that anyone has found that works for them thanks
Old 07-14-2010, 11:20 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Lightbulb

Here's the link to the GEO Method of maintaining your black water tank:

The Geo Method

It's also been posted on FRF here:

Black and Gray Water Holding Tank Maintenance
Nights camped 2011: 17
Nights camped 2012: 8
https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:30 AM   #16

chevy02-We are using this in the black tank. We used 1 cap full of the calgon liqued and 1 cup of detergent, I think it was Gain. I haven't been back out since we got back on the 5th but there was no smell except the detergent when we closed it up.

blue eyes-DH got it and I think it was Gain. I am sure any of it would work so just pick the one that you like the smell of. Sure hope this helps.
2011 Shamrock 23ss
2000 Suburban 1500 4 X 4
ngts camped 2016-24 so far. reservations for 11 more
ilovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:24 AM   #17

The best solution is getting the black water tank totally flushed which means you may be filling and dumping several times until everything is out and using the proper chemicals to santize/deodorize the tank. I've met several people who use the geo method above with success and I have started to use this method myself to save money. What I installed on my trailer are these cyclones which help draw out odors from the tanks. Cyclone Sewer Vent - Item - Camping World Something else you may consider if making the trip to Camping World.
Eastlake, OH
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:53 AM   #18
Salem 26TBSS

I had a sensor that displayed 1/3 full when the black tak was empty. Rather than the ice method, i used 1/3 cup of Palmolive dish soap (Dawn is recomended as the ONLY one to use, I beg to differ) and 2 - 5 gallon pails of hot water (just hot tap water) down the toilet, and let it set overnight. The hot water plus soap helps dissolve whatever is stinking up the tank. If you do this, and you still "smell" a problem, it most likely a venting issue.

Mike D
Old 07-15-2010, 05:57 PM   #19

water softener salt

I have been using water softener salt. I have a non-functioning water softener that needs the salt emptied out anyway so it seems like a good way to use up the salt. Nope it's not instantly disolving, but it is considerably cheaper than calgon. I put a couple cupfuls into a pail and add hot water and let it sit (even overnight) and then add it through the toilet before we leave on a trip. I am sure sloshing while driving probably helps. So far we have had no odor and have never used the chemicals.

I would caution AGAINST using laundry detergent that has ANY softeners in it. Softeners are WAX. They will leave behind a residue which is sticky and attracts and holds mold. If you know of anyone with a front loading washer you probably have heard about the mold issues those machines have particularly when folks use either liquid fabric softeners in the rinse or detergents that have the fabric softeners built in. One of the "tricks" for getting rid of the sticky softener build up on the insides of the machines is to use liquid automatic dishwashing detergent and super hot water in a "clean" cycle. I think after having a front loader and despite avoiding all washer softener products still seeing how much cleaner the outside of the drum is after using the automatic dishwashing liquid I would be inclined to add some of that rather than clothes washing detergent or using cheap detergent that is just detergent and not all the fancy stuff.
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:31 PM   #20

thank you all for the replies, I will try your suggestions, we still have an issue with the smell, as I mentioned previously, I really think that most of the problem is because we are on a permanent site and do not have the movement of slooshing around that seems to help the problem. We cant really keep filling and dumping as we would like too, because it would just be real hard to do. I am going to dry the detergent in with the calgon and maybe a bit of bleach if need be and see how that works.
The other problem that bothers me is that the tank NEVER empties completely out. I think that could have some play in this also...I have posted this question before and am finding out that it is a common problem among some of these models...Dont really understand why, and it doesnt seem to matter which way the trailer is leaning, we have tried different methods of leveling up but still cant seem to get it to empty completely.
We do have an a vent fan that eastlakeroo suggested.. Our last trailer had the same fan and it worked great...starting to make me crazy....