Old 04-06-2011, 06:38 PM   #71
Site Team - Lou

This is a duplicate post - RV Toilette paper

Iggy posted a photo of the powder version.

As far as I know there is nothing like Calgon for this application.
Dry or Liquid does not matter; it just has to be the water SOFTENER version.

Here is the chemical mix in the liquid version that I prefer:

http://www.rbnainfo.com/productpro/ProductSearch.do?brandId=6&productLineId=192&searc hType=PL&template=1

Here is the chemical mix in the powder that makes it work:

http://www.rbnainfo.com/productpro/ProductSearch.do?brandId=6&productLineId=194&searc hType=PL&template=1

It is NOT water softener SALT. That is used to flush resin columns used to soften house systems.

Salt does not soften water; it just makes it salty and corrosive.

HomeSolutionsNews®: CALGON® Water Softener Neutralizes Hard Water Minerals in Your Laundry

to order online. They have powder and liquid.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:57 AM   #72
Villa Estate 392FLFB

i looked for calgon tonight and no luck. laundry and cleaning chemical areas. notta.

also been looking for the RV-Digest-It and cant seem to find it in canada or anyone to ship to canada. something bout laws for the chemicals.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:07 AM   #73
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Stuff View Post
i looked for calgon tonight and no luck. laundry and cleaning chemical areas. notta.

also been looking for the RV-Digest-It and cant seem to find it in canada or anyone to ship to canada. something bout laws for the chemicals.
Sorry to hear that. Both are great products. Calgon can be hard to find because when the shipment comes in the RV's scarf it up. RV-Digest-It I have only see on their web site. Maybe a different enzyme based septic clog breaker is available there?

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:05 AM   #74

blue eyes...did u ever get rid of the smell?
i skimed the post looking to see if u tried replacing the seal between the commode and and sewer flange. u may have but i (in my haste) didn't see it.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:09 AM   #75
Villa Estate 392FLFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Maybe a different enzyme based septic clog breaker is available there?
and thats another thing. I was at a couple hardware stores the other day. saw toilet paper digester stuff. passed on it. went yesterday. all gone!!
Old 06-20-2011, 03:08 PM   #76

Jim, sorry that I havent posted back, just havent been on for awhile, however, it is camping season once again..and yes,,,we still stink..lol...we are going to pull the tank and replace the seals as you have asked,,,we are just at wits end with this problem,,,wasnt really very bad at all when we first opened up, however, the smell has gotten extremely worse..stopped by a rv store and they suggested that maybe our vent pipe is too far into the tank, creating the situation as to why we cant smell anything when we are on the roof and looking down the vent pipe. The smell absolutely gets worse as the tank gets fuller...We will pull the toilet when we are up there for the 4th of july and I will let you know how it all worked out.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:34 PM   #77

As a plumber I highly reccomend that you keep your hose as straight and direct to from the tank to the site hook up. If you don't you have a good chance of solids staying in th line and blocking it up.

Now for my thoughts on your stinky situation. The slide gates on these toilets and get paper lodged in the slide track. You can't see it sometimes and it will hold open your slide gate ever so slightly allowing the gases to come back in to the trailer/motorhome especially in the wind or while traveling. It creates a positive force on the tank and pushes the gas in. If you put water in the bowl and it leaks through over time that means the slide gate is leaking by and needs some attention. The other thing to check is to make sure if there is a wax ring it is set right on the closet flange. This system should be a sealed system.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:19 PM   #78

i reread the post. still looking for the words "i installed traps in the shower, sink, and lavatory". thought one of the first post suggested they weren't there. i'd install them for ur own safety.
if u try to suck the smell out of the trailer, u will also be sucking the smell back in from its sourse.
i would suggest something on the vents that would pull air out. they make some that fit over ur vents but i believe they are designed to pull the air out as u drive down the road. if they rotate, they may take advantage of the air movement and pull the fumes out. (looks like an ell with a fin on top. if that rotates, it may solve ur problem.
one suggestion mentioned the vacuum breakers located by the sink, lavatory, and washer drain. if u have questions abt what they look like, let me know, i took pictures of them in my trailer..have to admit, i didn't know they were there. the sink one was after the drain passed thru the cabinet. the lavatory one was behind the lavatory. they allow the drain to drain. the p traps can prevent that.
when i hook up to the sewer, i open the drains on my gray water tanks and keep the black closed. you can get the sewer gas back from the campground sewer system. u can also get it from ur gray water tanks if anything has gotten there over the years (decaying protein produces H2S...rotten egg).

i believe my thought that us didn't have traps in the sink, lavatory...may have been misunderstood. it doesn't appear u said that.

basiclly what i have suggested doesn't solve the problem. it simply puts a slight vacuum on ur waste tanks so that air will be pulled into the vent from a possible leak.

if u are fairly sure it is coming from the toilet itself, the seal isn't hard to replace. just retighten the bolts that go into the floor snugg. that is some very thin stuff ur screwing into (on mine at least).

i've seen some good suggestions here and some, like mine, are guessing and hoping. when u do solve ur problem, i would like to know what u find.

u may be able to find a plumber with one of those cameras u can look down the vent pipe and tank with. i have threatened to buy one but back off when i see the $150 price tag (now that was Harbor Freight...doubt if it is as good as what a plumber would buy).
Old 06-20-2011, 09:19 PM   #79
Villa Estate 392FLFB

is your trailer still being a park model and not moving?
Old 06-22-2011, 08:08 AM   #80

Yes, we are still parked... and that seems to add to the problem...we cant do alot of the suggestions that people have given because we are in a permanent site,,we dont have sewage hook-up either...so it isnt so easy to do all of the flushing some has been suggested either...our plan is to pull the toilet the next time that we are up there and see if we can find anything there...maybe it will give us a better view into things once it is removed...will keep posted...