Old 10-14-2016, 01:13 AM   #1
Steelhorzz

Can't open rv door !!

We were loading our GeorgeTown 360 this evenng, planning to head out tomorrow.

I "closed", (did not lock the door), went back into the house to gather a few more clothes.

When I returned and grabbed the handle, and tried to open the door, it felt like the dead bolt was locked!!

I took out my keys. and proceeded to lock, and unlock the dead bolt. NOTHING!

I then locked and unlocked both locks. Aain, NOTHING
It feels like it's locked!!

I've pushed on the door, and tried again. nothing!

I called a locksmith, who said he could drill it out, (and possibly damage the door). I thanked him, and I sent him away.

It's a Trimark 060-650, which I understand has been replaced with a newer model. Sooo, the real question is Does anyone know how to open the door to be able to replace the lock assembly, without damage to the actual door??

Thank goodness, I'm at home and not out in the boonies somewhere!

Blue Ox Tow System / U.S. Gear Unified Tow Brake
Steelhorzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 05:12 AM   #2

Here is a link for TriMark. TriMark Corporation - Latch, Handle, Linkage, Electronic, Hinge, Vehicle door hardware
Many complaints on people getting locked out or in. Give them a call, maybe they can tell you how to open it and send you the new model?

crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:40 AM   #3
Steelhorzz

Thanks for the info !!

I spent a couple of hours on the internet last night gathering info on their website, and here on the forum.
All the reports I read here were people getting locked inside. It seems that's almost easier as you can disassemble the mechanism while in the coach. Not a pleasant experience, but doable of you have some basic tools. (At least you can drive it somewhere for repair)!!
After I called Trimark this morning and discussed my "issue", they emailed me a diagram of the lock with arrows and notes of how to get in! Tools required ---- (hammer and chisel). 😱 They also told me a new lock mechanism is $182! (I've already found them locally for $95!!). I'll post pics later of the diagram and of me "destroying the lock", to get in. They did not acknowledge that this was a known problem. But I received the email with the diagram in less than a minute after I hung up from them. Hmmmm 🤔
Old 10-14-2016, 10:59 AM   #4

Sounds like a safety issue and should be reported to the NTSB or some other agency. Getting locked in with a fire, flood or some other emergency is not good at all. Or getting locked out with children or pets inside would be terrible.
And the manufacturer should be replacing these locks free of charge. Class action law suit??
Old 10-14-2016, 03:25 PM   #5

Locked out

We had the same lockout issue with our 8285ikws 5th wheel. called a locksmith who picked the lock and told us to lubricate with
Powdered graphite.
Can't remember where we found it but it is manufactured by: The Hillman Group Inc. Small white plastic tube label says"handy puffer dispenser"
Net weight is 3grams About the size of a travel size toothpaste tube. Stick the tip in the key hole and squeeze.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:38 PM   #6

On my Class A the drivers door locked me out lucky I had a second door it was also a Trimark lock. I ended up taking it apart from the inside and then replacing it before selling the RV. The internal parts of the lock had fallen apart. Good luck
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 04:11 PM   #7

Teaman here

Got the same problem on a 2013 Sunseeker 2300 MH I just bought. Intermittant problem. Most times it opens OK. But randomly the door refuses to open. My daughter got locked inside one day. Luckily the MH class C has two doors in cab to exit. Am still needing to figure this one out. Dangerous I think. I also need repair or replacement ideas on this problem.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:15 PM   #8
3071DS

The 650 lock has been superseded by the 1650 lock. Seems to be of better quality. It is a direct replacement, no mods required. Amazon has them for $89.
Drilling it may not work, my latch arm broke that connects the snap lock to the handle. It is made of potmetal. On my class C, I was able to remove the cover plate from the inside, removing the spring that engages the snap lock and used a pocket knife to move the snap lock back. I will be honest, how you drill the lock from the outside enough to release the snap lock is beyond me.
Search this forum for Trimark under the motorhomes I know I posted, when it happened to me.
Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Much easier if you could gain access to the inside, somehow. May need to decide which is cheaper, door or window replacement. I would choose a window.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Dorothy, Miss Bella and I. Sometimes daughter and grands, loving life.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:19 PM   #9
3071DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teaman View Post
Teaman here

Got the same problem on a 2013 Sunseeker 2300 MH I just bought. Intermittant problem. Most times it opens OK. But randomly the door refuses to open. My daughter got locked inside one day. Luckily the MH class C has two doors in cab to exit. Am still needing to figure this one out. Dangerous I think. I also need repair or replacement ideas on this problem.

IMHO, if you have a 650 lock, working good or not, replace it with a 1650. I will not say that the 1650 is better built, but mine is still working well after 2 years.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Dorothy, Miss Bella and I. Sometimes daughter and grands, loving life.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:23 PM   #10

Lock out

We had the same problem while at the beach this past year. The kids got locked in and we got locked out. The door kept getting jammed that whole day. Thought maybe the rv just wasn't leveled right. We tried to pry the door open. My 15 year old daughter took the door handle apart from the inside. Still couldn't get it opened. My husband tried to pry the door open from the outside. No luck. He then had to climb through the passenger window. He was able to find what was wrong. It was stuck in the locked position and he basically broke the whole handle to get it open. We had to hold the door closed that night with a bungee cord until we could get a new handle from Camping world. Once he put the new handle on it worked like a charm but our trim is beat up where we were trying to pry open the door.

Tags
door