Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2014, 02:10 PM   #21
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by litgrep View Post
Some have said they run electric from outside to do the second heater. I find in most units there are 2 circuits for wall plugs. The GFI circuit (usually in bath and kitchen area) and unmarked (in bedroom and living area). Still expect to blow cb if hair dryer, coffee maker or water heater kicks on.
That's why we run the extention cord from outside for the 2nd heater which is on the kitchen end of the trailer. We can't make coffee or microwave and stay warm at the same time without it!

Her hair dryer mkes so much heat we can just turn the bedroom heater off for a while. That heater runs on a regular breaker for the bedroom area.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:44 PM   #22

DW and I use one 1500W electric heater in our 35ft. motor home to supplement the propane furnace. Once the rig gets up to temp inside, usually around 65 degrees, the electric keeps the whole rig toasty by it self with temps down into the high 20's outside.

I've read this thread and others in regards to electric heaters. One constant is the 1500W rating. I don't know jack about electricity but it would appear to me that no matter the heater type, oil filled electric, ceramic, radiant etc. they all are limited by the watt rating and there probably isn't going to be much difference in heat output or the amount of square footage they will adequately heat. I would think that the build and insulating factors of different RV types, and manufacturers, would have more of an effect on how well they work versus the heaters themselves. I would look for size, convenience, thermostat and price and not worry to much on "type" IMHO.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:52 PM   #23
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
One constant is the 1500W rating. I don't know jack about electricity but it would appear to me that no matter the heater type, oil filled electric, ceramic, radiant etc. they all are limited by the watt rating...

...I would look for size, convenience, thermostat and price and not worry to much on "type" IMHO.
The differences aren't worth arguing about, at least not to you and me. I will throw in a plug for oil filled radiator style heaters. Downsides are the weight and bulk, and they are slow to "get started." Upside, they make no noise and are durable, fire safe and do the job well.

The deciding factor for oil filled, though, is the presence of children. If a kid comes into contact with an oil filled heater, he'll let go of it quickly, likely with no permanent injury since the surfaces don't get too hot. Other heaters may have you headed out for medical attention.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:45 PM   #24
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
It's economics.

An RV furnace is a propane HOG!! One chilly weekend will consume an entire 20 lb tank of gas. Running a little heater of the campgrounds electricity is usually free.

For the cost of my recommended $20 heater, (see upthread) I have saved literally hundreds of dollars in gas, not to mention never ran out of gas on a trip and much less hassle getting my tanks refilled.

If it's really cold we will run the RV furnace to take off the chill and then maintain temps with the electric heater. Once in really cold weather we ran two heaters, passing a heavy extension cord out the slide seal to the pedestal for one of the heaters.

Saved a lot of money!

I can see where that would be beneficial, I may have to get an electric heater to try it and supplement the LP. To be honest tho, we have been week long camping in some very cold temps, For Texas anyway, 20's~30's at night, 30's~40's daytime) and just did not use that much LP. Our local feed store charges me $18 to fill our 20# tanks and they last us quite a long time. I can see where using the CG's electric would be a cost benefit but the LP is so cheap I do not even think about it really. I will look at that one you recommended, see if I can't pick one up for our next trip.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Infrared quartz or ceramic heaters. Which one is more efficient? If you purchased an infrared quartz heater which one did you buy.
Doesn't matter which is most efficient if you're using the "free" electricity from the campground. You've most likely paid a flat fee to have the electric, whether you use it not. (We had this discussion on the thread about installing the electric furnace on top of the gas one - don't remember what it was called.)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:57 PM   #26
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'm paying for the electric... 5'vr will be parked beside my garage and shop during the winter and generally while not camping. Good thought thou.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:40 PM   #27
Denver, CO

Remember that some, if not most, rigs need some heat circulated through out the underside of the rig for keeping the tank and plumbing from freezing. Below about 20F you may be in danger of freezing stuff you don't want to, if you don't run the furnace (or at least the blower) enough to circulate heat throughout the unit.

Just a precaution for the unawares.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:43 PM   #28

We have used a "cube" type ceramic heater for many years when possible and have found it capable of doing most of the heating except during the dead of winter. The furnace will generally never run unless the temps fall below freezing.

Mike
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:14 PM   #29

Even if you're paying for the electric, the difference between a ceramic and a wire heater are slim to none. The real difference is between electric and gas, and you'll pay a lot more for gas than electric, I suspect.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater