Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #1

Can't recommend ceramic heaters enough

Last week I posted about cold weather dry camping. In the responses I got a lot of recommendations on using space heaters. So I wanted to start a new thread to say I can't recommend them enough. I got a smallish heater from Wally World (see link below) for my 21 foot camper. It was more than enough for the weather I saw (lows in the 30's). The first night my furnace ran too as I didn't turn it up very high until I saw how it worked. The second and third nights my furnace didn't run at all. In fact, I had to turn the ceramic heater down some the last night as it was too warm the night before.

Thanks everyone who gave me advice in my prior thread.

Lasko Oscillating Ceramic 1500-Watt Heater - Walmart.com
Old 11-27-2013, 06:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacklem View Post
Last week I posted about cold weather dry camping. In the responses I got a lot of recommendations on using space heaters. So I wanted to start a new thread to say I can't recommend them enough. I got a smallish heater from Wally World (see link below) for my 21 foot camper. It was more than enough for the weather I saw (lows in the 30's). The first night my furnace ran too as I didn't turn it up very high until I saw how it worked. The second and third nights my furnace didn't run at all. In fact, I had to turn the ceramic heater down some the last night as it was too warm the night before. Thanks everyone who gave me advice in my prior thread. Lasko Oscillating Ceramic 1500-Watt Heater - Walmart.com
NFPA allows these as well due to their fire safety qualities. You picked a good one
Cuttinchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #3

I have this model since my camper is larger and it works great to.

Walmart Mobile

2014 Wildcat 344QB-OK
EastTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:26 AM   #4

we have a small heater that has a built in thermostat. We love it. set at your desired temp and your done.
Prothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #5

Love them

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexan View Post
I have this model since my camper is larger and it works great to.

Walmart Mobile
We have 2 of these. I transformed my Bird House into a Studio Apt and my daughter used them when the weather got down in the 30's last week. She said they kept her nice a cozy. Apt is 17' x 12'.
mkford1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:48 AM   #6

This sounds great! Do you have any idea how many amps it draws?
HarleyBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:37 PM   #7
NELA

DH picked ours up at a Dollar Store while we were camping in 20 degree weather in Arkansas over Thanksgiving weekend, just to supplement the fireplace...didn't fire up the furnace.

We've used it since Saturday in the new RV, with temps dipping as low as 12 one morning, and never got below 37 inside. Of course it's buttoned up with all slides retracted, but one tiny little oscillating heater (set on low BTW) kept it above freezing temps in there.

For safety purposes we set it on the island counter top.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:39 PM   #8
NELA

Quote:
Last week I posted about cold weather dry camping. In the responses I got a lot of recommendations on using space heaters. So I wanted to start a new thread to say I can't recommend them enough. I got a smallish heater from Wally World (see link below) for my 21 foot camper. It was more than enough for the weather I saw (lows in the 30's). The first night my furnace ran too as I didn't turn it up very high until I saw how it worked. The second and third nights my furnace didn't run at all. In fact, I had to turn the ceramic heater down some the last night as it was too warm the night before.

Thanks everyone who gave me advice in my prior thread.

Oooooh I like that designer look one...the tan one. Nice!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:56 PM   #9

It is rated 1500 watts but doesn't list the amps. If my knowledge of electricity is right, and it may not be, that would be 12.5 amps.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:20 PM   #10
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
It is rated 1500 watts but doesn't list the amps. If my knowledge of electricity is right, and it may not be, that would be 12.5 amps.
DING DING DING!! WINNER!

Assuming 120 volts, the amps would be 12.5. For AC heaters and hair dryers, divide the watts by 120. Easy. Your breakers will handle this and other heaters, until you start the coffee maker. Then... BLIP!

I like these little heaters: Patton PUH680-WM1 Utility Heater, Patton Milkhouse Utility Heater, Thermostat Controlled Heater, Electric Utility Heater They are nearly indestructible, about $20 and in the spring you can get them for $16. They are a bit bulky, loudish and ugly.

But in the wintertime you can set them at a very low setting, say 40 deg F, and they keep your trailer from freezing up while stored in your yard, without runnning the power bill through the roof.

When camping, crank up the thermostat and stay comfy warm.

We got some funny looks when we plugged our heater in the pedestal outlet and let it run awhile. It was the first use of the cool season and we thought we'd let it make that dusty first use stink outside

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:56 PM   #11

Just remember P=IE
P=power in watts
I= curent in amps
E= voltage

2006 roo 23b
99 Silverado xtra cab with 4.8 and tow package

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:04 PM   #12
Infractee

Using the electric heaters, is this for long term camping where maybe you do not have local access to propane or because you prefer the electric heat as it does not dry you out as much?
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:10 PM   #13

Anytime we camp in cool weather we use Electric, as long as I'm not metered.

Sent by me
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:59 PM   #14
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
Using the electric heaters, is this for long term camping where maybe you do not have local access to propane or because you prefer the electric heat as it does not dry you out as much?
It's economics.

An RV furnace is a propane HOG!! One chilly weekend will consume an entire 20 lb tank of gas. Running a little heater of the campgrounds electricity is usually free.

For the cost of my recommended $20 heater, (see upthread) I have saved literally hundreds of dollars in gas, not to mention never ran out of gas on a trip and much less hassle getting my tanks refilled.

If it's really cold we will run the RV furnace to take off the chill and then maintain temps with the electric heater. Once in really cold weather we ran two heaters, passing a heavy extension cord out the slide seal to the pedestal for one of the heaters.

Saved a lot of money!

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:26 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Infrared quartz or ceramic heaters. Which one is more efficient? If you purchased an infrared quartz heater which one did you buy.

Comments should be interesting.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:33 PM   #16
Love My Sunseeker

ceramic heater? You gotta be kidding! When temps get below 30, ceramic heaters can't keep you warm enough. Gotta supplement with the furnace. when I had ceramic heaters, I put furnace to maintain 45 or 50 (enough to keep from freezing) and have the ceramic take up the slack.

I like the Presto Parabolic heat dish, that did a great job, but the only problem was the brightness of the coil prevented me from sleeping. I can't close my bedroom door because my cat need to go back and forth to it's food and litter box.

I have had good luck with oil filled radiators. Use a 3 heat level one in front (1500 watts at highest setting, 12.5 amps) and use a small 500 watt one in the bathroom.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:42 AM   #17

On our first trip out we took our oil filled radiator style heater with us. It worked good but there is no thermostat and we constantly had to adjust it. I have since found a really compact ceramic heater with a thermostat (Honeywell $39.99 at Target)...we have several trips planned for February so we will see how it works.
theSmiths2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:46 AM   #18

Quote:
I got a smallish heater from Wally World (see link below) for my 21 foot camper. It was more than enough for the weather I saw (lows in the 30's).... In fact, I had to turn the ceramic heater down some the last night as it was too warm the night before.
We have the same heater. We place it in the middle of the RV on the island pointed at the bedroom (heat rises). We turned down the heat setting because it got too warm. We use it in May and September, cheaper that using our propane. We like the oscillating feature and cool-touch housing. It has a manual adjustable thermostat, push-button oscillation, three comfort settings: high heat, low heat and fan only.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0004601376605_500X500.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	44877  
Timbren & Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch
sonic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:38 PM   #19

I use an Eden Pur IR heater most of the time in my 30' 5er. It does well until outside gets below 30. Then I add another 1500 watt ceramic. That has kept it in the 60s inside in single digit outside temps. I find it easier to run electric than pulling tanks, driving to refill and doing it every 4-5 days in that kind of weather. Haven't done the cost trade off but I believe the electric is cheaper and certainly quieter.

Some have said they run electric from outside to do the second heater. I find in most units there are 2 circuits for wall plugs. The GFI circuit (usually in bath and kitchen area) and unmarked (in bedroom and living area). Still expect to blow cb if hair dryer, coffee maker or water heater kicks on.

litgrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:11 PM   #20
MI Camperz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstromsburg View Post
Anytime we camp in cool weather we use Electric, as long as I'm not metered.

Sent by me
Ditto that. We're seasonal and electric included in yearly fee. Burning propane is burning money for me. I already paid for the electric.

Tags
heater