Old 11-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #1

Can't recommend ceramic heaters enough

Last week I posted about cold weather dry camping. In the responses I got a lot of recommendations on using space heaters. So I wanted to start a new thread to say I can't recommend them enough. I got a smallish heater from Wally World (see link below) for my 21 foot camper. It was more than enough for the weather I saw (lows in the 30's). The first night my furnace ran too as I didn't turn it up very high until I saw how it worked. The second and third nights my furnace didn't run at all. In fact, I had to turn the ceramic heater down some the last night as it was too warm the night before.

Thanks everyone who gave me advice in my prior thread.

Lasko Oscillating Ceramic 1500-Watt Heater - Walmart.com

Old 11-27-2013, 06:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacklem View Post
Last week I posted about cold weather dry camping. In the responses I got a lot of recommendations on using space heaters. So I wanted to start a new thread to say I can't recommend them enough. I got a smallish heater from Wally World (see link below) for my 21 foot camper. It was more than enough for the weather I saw (lows in the 30's). The first night my furnace ran too as I didn't turn it up very high until I saw how it worked. The second and third nights my furnace didn't run at all. In fact, I had to turn the ceramic heater down some the last night as it was too warm the night before. Thanks everyone who gave me advice in my prior thread. Lasko Oscillating Ceramic 1500-Watt Heater - Walmart.com
NFPA allows these as well due to their fire safety qualities. You picked a good one

Old 12-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #3

I have this model since my camper is larger and it works great to.

Walmart Mobile

2014 Wildcat 344QB-OK
EastTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:26 AM   #4

we have a small heater that has a built in thermostat. We love it. set at your desired temp and your done.
Prothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #5

Love them

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexan View Post
I have this model since my camper is larger and it works great to.

Walmart Mobile
We have 2 of these. I transformed my Bird House into a Studio Apt and my daughter used them when the weather got down in the 30's last week. She said they kept her nice a cozy. Apt is 17' x 12'.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:48 AM   #6

This sounds great! Do you have any idea how many amps it draws?
Old 01-08-2014, 12:37 PM   #7
NELA

DH picked ours up at a Dollar Store while we were camping in 20 degree weather in Arkansas over Thanksgiving weekend, just to supplement the fireplace...didn't fire up the furnace.

We've used it since Saturday in the new RV, with temps dipping as low as 12 one morning, and never got below 37 inside. Of course it's buttoned up with all slides retracted, but one tiny little oscillating heater (set on low BTW) kept it above freezing temps in there.

For safety purposes we set it on the island counter top.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:39 PM   #8
NELA

Quote:
Last week I posted about cold weather dry camping. In the responses I got a lot of recommendations on using space heaters. So I wanted to start a new thread to say I can't recommend them enough. I got a smallish heater from Wally World (see link below) for my 21 foot camper. It was more than enough for the weather I saw (lows in the 30's). The first night my furnace ran too as I didn't turn it up very high until I saw how it worked. The second and third nights my furnace didn't run at all. In fact, I had to turn the ceramic heater down some the last night as it was too warm the night before.

Thanks everyone who gave me advice in my prior thread.

Lasko Oscillating Ceramic 1500-Watt Heater - Walmart.com

Oooooh I like that designer look one...the tan one. Nice!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:56 PM   #9

It is rated 1500 watts but doesn't list the amps. If my knowledge of electricity is right, and it may not be, that would be 12.5 amps.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:20 PM   #10
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
It is rated 1500 watts but doesn't list the amps. If my knowledge of electricity is right, and it may not be, that would be 12.5 amps.
DING DING DING!! WINNER!

Assuming 120 volts, the amps would be 12.5. For AC heaters and hair dryers, divide the watts by 120. Easy. Your breakers will handle this and other heaters, until you start the coffee maker. Then... BLIP!

I like these little heaters: Patton PUH680-WM1 Utility Heater, Patton Milkhouse Utility Heater, Thermostat Controlled Heater, Electric Utility Heater They are nearly indestructible, about $20 and in the spring you can get them for $16. They are a bit bulky, loudish and ugly.

But in the wintertime you can set them at a very low setting, say 40 deg F, and they keep your trailer from freezing up while stored in your yard, without runnning the power bill through the roof.

When camping, crank up the thermostat and stay comfy warm.

We got some funny looks when we plugged our heater in the pedestal outlet and let it run awhile. It was the first use of the cool season and we thought we'd let it make that dusty first use stink outside

2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater