Old 07-31-2017, 09:33 PM   #21

Cooper promises a lot, delivers nothing.

CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:04 PM   #22

9 times out of 10, the fault will lie with the "Locator" and not the contractor. I did 5 years of geotechnical drilling and I learned in the first six months...if the locater tells you to "Drill here, all clear" move 20' off his mark...and you'll be ok. Their maps were horrible, we hit water lines, sewer lines, telecommunication lines. It really was astounding at how inaccurate their survey maps were.

TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:27 AM   #23

Couple comments that apply just about everywhere.

Plans are drawn based on where the original power line installer SAID they installed the line. Then the locator looks at the "as built" plans and does his/her best to locate either by marking based on the "as-builts" or hand held equipment than marks the site. Then the contractor tells his men "Go dig, drill, or drive piles".

If any person along the way was lazy and inaccurate plans drawn, locations marked, or equipment placed wrong, this is what happens.

Some contractors go to extra lengths on their own. One example was when fiber optic cables were run through my neighborhood. All utilities were marked before the contractor showed up with his trenchless boring machine. As an additional precaution they cut a "window" and excavated down to water, sewer, power, and phone lines to verify the location and depth. To my knowledge, not a single line was cut. Two guys with a Vacuum truck and water nozzle were running ahead of the guy on the boring machine to make sure he didn't hit them.

As for liability? Naturally the Governor will promise the world. In reality the responsibility will be determined in Court after all the evidence is presented. Hopefully, whichever entity is to blame, they have enough insurance and don't just file for bankruptcy.

Lastly, a lot of businesses carry "Business Interruption Insurance" that helps soften the blow to them and then the Insurance Company goes after the culprit's.

Kind of strange that a power company would locate three lines in the same place where damage to one could damage them all. Just wondering.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan

"2004" Male Shih-Tsu Co-Pilot
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:50 AM   #24

In our area we use the maps as a general guide. All underground locates are done with hand held units. A signal generator is clamped around the cable or pipe to be located and hand held unit similar to a metal detector, but tuned to the tone produced by the signal generator, is used to locate the line. These units are quite accurate. I would think any conscientious company digging on a project such as this would have had the cables located with one of these units.

I suppose the truth to all of this will come out at some point and it will be interesting to see who's head is on the block when all is said and done.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:51 AM   #25

Not at all strange that the lines are together. These islands are not that large and access to them is limited.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:15 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Makes you wonder about some people. They let no disaster go unexploited and gouge for all they can. For some reason it appears to be worse in our nations SE corner than up here in the opposite one.

I suspect it varies by state. Here in Alabama there are laws that do get enforced for price gouging. I've seen gas stations being fined for doing it and many years ago a local motorcycle business was fined for gouging the price of generators during a weather induced power outage. The public backlash was such that they soon went out of business.

There are some here that don't like the law, but it goes something like this. Alabama's "price gouging" law prohibits "unconscionable pricing" of items for sale or rent after the governor has declared a state of emergency. According to the Attorney General's office, "Although what constitutes an unconscionable price is not specifically set forth in state law, a price that is 25 percent or more above the average price charged in the same area within the last 30 days--unless the increase can be attributed to a reasonable cost-- is a prima facie case of unconscionable pricing." Confusing? I've seen gas prices double overnight due to a declared state of emergency. The station owners end up regretting it.

2017 Cedar Creek Silverback 37MBH
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L, DRW, 4.10 Rear end
BGKirkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:39 AM   #27
Bubblehead Elite Rank

Just got back...

Got back last week from 16 days at Hatteras Sands Resort.

The bridge building on 12 was nuts. At night you can wait hours while they work on it and have the traffic blocked. It had really goofed traffic just down from Rodanthe (KOA OBX) where a large section of the bridge is very close to current roadway.

Hatteras Island is still recovering from Hurricane Hermine. They've lost several of the southern beaches. Several of the stores are closed down. Many of the canals are very shallow and haven't been dredged. Prices have also jumped 50% since 2 years ago.

I enjoyed the fishing, crabbing, clamming, and deserted beaches....but having to drive back up to Avon for a medium sized store (or God forbid, 69 miles to a real hospital) was not high on my list, especially with the bridge building traffic. (Sigh) Hate getting old....used to not care how close a Hospital or Walmart was. Looks like Chincoteague or Wilmington next year.

I'm going to be in Charleston KOA in 2 weeks for the Solar Eclipse....KOA WAS doing a stay 2 get 1 free deal a few months back when I did my reservation. Hadn't heard of any campgrounds doing anything hinky with price gouging.

Hatteras Sands (and my 15 foot slice of heaven)
[IMG]Untitled by Jay Raxter, on Flickr[/IMG]
JayNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:28 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
9 times out of 10, the fault will lie with the "Locator" and not the contractor. I did 5 years of geotechnical drilling and I learned in the first six months...if the locater tells you to "Drill here, all clear" move 20' off his mark...and you'll be ok. Their maps were horrible, we hit water lines, sewer lines, telecommunication lines. It really was astounding at how inaccurate their survey maps were.
As we used to say in California when we were laying coax for computer networks, "There's no better underground pipe or wire locater than a guy on a Ditch Witch."
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:42 PM   #29

I called a client in SC one day. He said he could not talk. Found out he was putting a pool in the house he bought for his daughter. The lines and all were flagged. Still the backhoe got every utility except gas that was supposed to be 4' away.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:43 PM   #30

Looking at the local news tonight, appears that the power is up and running at the outer banks. Campgrounds and shops back in business. Got to be a traffic jam on the Bonner Bridge tonight with campers getting to their destinations. Glad to see everything back to normal .

Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power

« Tpms | Rv fridge »