Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2015, 04:49 PM   #1
Always Learning

Carrying Extra Diesel Fuel

Given our upcoming travel plans, I've been wanting to carry some extra fuel just in case the "oh crap" happens and I can't easily find somewhere to stop. I've been debating carrying 10-20 gallons of fuel in two or four 5-gallon cans. (What I'd really like to do is get the larger fuel tank, but $70-150 is a LOT cheaper than $1,500 for a replacement tank. And I'm not enthusiastic about permanently mounting a tank in the truck bed.)

I've been kicking around these No-Spill brand cans:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...KPJFYMZXZXH4BM

Has anyone used these? Any recommendations?
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:54 PM   #2
B47

Never used them,but being EPA and CARB approved seems like a good endorsement.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:04 PM   #3
Always Learning

I'm mostly wondering how easy/hard they are to use for filling up a truck tank. I assume most folks buying these are filling tractors or other equipment where the fuel tank may be more exposed.

I like the push button on/off- seems like it would work way better than the other spouts that I've had on my last few cheap gas cans.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:05 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

If you concerned about extra fuel how about an aux tank.

Amazon.com: Trail FX 29224166 Steel Fuel Transfer Tank: Automotive
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:09 PM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
If you concerned about extra fuel how about an aux tank.

Amazon.com: Trail FX 29224166 Steel Fuel Transfer Tank: Automotive
Nah, I don't want to permanently lose the bedspace. It's bad enough back there with the rolltop cover canister.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:09 PM   #6
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I'm mostly wondering how easy/hard they are to use for filling up a truck tank. I assume most folks buying these are filling tractors or other equipment where the fuel tank may be more exposed.

I like the push button on/off- seems like it would work way better than the other spouts that I've had on my last few cheap gas cans.
Read the reviews 73 0/0 like it.

And BTW - you can get them "Gift Wrapped".
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:14 PM   #7

I installed a transfer tank/toolbox in the bed of my truck, that gives me 50 more gallons and it has an electric pump and switch. The tank/box was $350, the pump was $45, and the filter was $25, the switch was $6. The tank is mounted with 3 bolts and a small hole in the bed for the hose to go through. A "T" was put in the vent line to the onboard tank.
All this took two hours to install. Oh yes, the pipe fitting and shutoff valve cost about $15. This gives me 86 gallons if I need it. Never leave the driveway on a trip without both tanks full.
I did all this because I worry about being far away from home and not being able to get back if fuel is not obtainable [electrical failure for one].
If you ever decide to buy such a unit, make darn sure it has a bung in the bottom side to get your fuel and you don't have to have one installed. Bought mine from Tractor Supply.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:24 PM   #8

Hey Epy.. I have a couple of those. They work real gooder but ya wanna get the spout extension thingamabob. It's a PITA trying to transfer fuel to a vehicle tank without it.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
I installed a transfer tank/toolbox in the bed of my truck, that gives me 50 more gallons and it has an electric pump and switch.
I would really love to do that with my rig, but I haven't put enough thought into how to fill the darn thing with a canopy on board.

Any chance you have some links to the equipment you mentioned. $350 for a tank is really reasonable.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:38 PM   #10

No links, just go to Tractor Supply's website. I think you may have a problem with the canopy cover unless you can get a tank that's height is low enough to sneak under your lid. My TANK will fit under a lid, but the fill neck raises it 2 inches which won't cut it. I'm installing an AES shell on the back and won't have any height problem. I carry soooo much junk [wench, second spare tire, two swing-out boxes, extra 6 gal water tank, etc] in the bed, it's time to secure it.
OBTW, most diesel hoses are long enough to reach through the rear of a shell. By height, I was talking about the roller covers
Old 04-06-2015, 06:00 PM   #11
Broken Toe

How about a Moeller Flow-and-go. They are used for filling up boats, but should work great. This one holds 14 gallons, and includes a hose and hand pump for easy filling.

Moeller 006792 Moeller Flo N Go Wheeled Fuel Transporter - Fuel Transporters

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:03 PM   #12

When I drove a gasser, I had a 5gal can of gas. Been driving the smoker since '03 and carry a 5gal can of Diesel. Never have been in a 'spot' to where I needed to use any of it. I do and will carry the extra for peace of mind thou. You should be fine with just 5 gal. for that peace of mind. Should give you at least a 50 or more mile range if need be. save the weight for other things.

Pull in with the big rigs and act like you own the place at truck stops. If in congested areas and the pumps are too tight to get into, move on or park out of the way to the side and fill it up one can at a time (which I really think that you will never have to do). I think 10 or more gal in the back would be over kill. imo

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:14 PM   #13

Ependydad, I have 4 of those gas containers for my lawn equipment. They do seem to be spill proof. I have turned them over in the back of my pickup with no loss of fuel. My F-150 came with an extender to place into the fuel fill opening, and I cannot use these gas cans to fuel the truck without it. I believe you would be well served with this type of container, but you will have to use an extender or funnel of some type. Max
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:14 PM   #14

I went through the same decision process. Came real close to running out about 10 years ago going to FL so I wanted to do something. However, I just couldn't seem to find a transfer tank at a price I wanted to pay that would fit under my tonneau cover and ahead of the hitch that still let me carry a large tote box with tools, scissor jack, bungies, etc. I ended up getting 2 5-gallon yellow (diesel) cans when they came on sale at half price and kept them beside the tote box under the first tonneau section on my recent round trip to FL.

I never ended up using them so just poured them into the tank when I got home. These are the newer design without a separate rear vent - the make-up air comes back up a smaller tube molded in parallel with the main tube in the spout. You can either hold it so the make-up tube is just below the level of the pour (that's quite a strain on the arms) or go for broke and just up-end it and let the make-up aid bubble in like a pour nozzle on a whiskey bottle (what I did). Either way, it is much slower than the older style but I never had a single drip.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
.... I carry soooo much junk [wench, second spare tire...
You carry a wench with you? My wife won't let me do that.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:23 PM   #16

I have been carrying 6 – 5 gallon no spill gas cans, with diesel in them for years. I did this to keep from having to stop at gas stations, just pull into a rest area and add what I need.
What I quickly discovered is that not only is there a convenience to this, but also a huge savings. The cost of highway diesel tends to be much higher. In addition, South Carolina diesel is also .20 to .50 cents a gallon less than my destination costs.

They fit perfectly behind my cab, 15 foot chain and lock.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSchwartz View Post
You carry a wench with you? My wife won't let me do that.
They are one and the same. lol
Actually, the wench is to load and unload my canoe on my carrying rack. Big canoe, weighs 125 lbs. Not that heavy, but awkward for one soul to deal with.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:32 PM   #18

We had 300 to 400 gallons of diesel come up missing. I was the only one that wasn't a rice burner. Could only see 3 or 4 combining crews from our location in MI.

The conclusion was that the fuel truck didn't fill the tanks or the slight remote chance they borrowed fuel. (Fuel truck driver in my mind) considering we saw him fill the front crew and everything back was out. 😳😴😏.

The other option was that I went and pumped the fuel out of the machines and stored in ALL my holding tanks which I was NEXT door to the idiot accusing me.

I told them when I learned to compress 300 gallons into a 100 gallon drag tank I would know longer pipeline but get the CAT car in NASCAR to have no fuel stops.

The moral of the story is one or two dumb ***** welders can believe that you store diesel in your holding tanks. He was from MI. The AR,LA and MS thought it was a joke but I didn't get called back the next year and he is not a boss any more.

Where there is a will there is way!! Happy travels. Personally I would look at a smaller 40 gallon with gravity fed in your situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:07 PM   #19

Tried gravity feed with a solenoid switch, but the last 10 gallons or so, was too slow. Drained out slower than it was being burned. An electric inline pump transfers the fuel at .35 gallons a minute. Faster when the tank is half full or above. The pump can be found at Auto Zone or Discount Auto.
Met a 5er at Beverly Beach Campground last year that had the same setup but had a 75 gallon tank, but with no toolbox. He said he came all the way from Michigan on one fill-up and does the same thing for the trip home each year. He was driving a Duramax 3500HD dually.
From my personal experience with this setup, you will never get the last of the fuel out of the tank with gravity feed. No presure.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:25 PM   #20
Swift2

With my 90 gal. Tank I can be pretty choosy about where I get my fuel. Always look for cheaper places to buy. Don't have to stop every couple hundred miles.
Swift 2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel