Old 04-06-2015, 05:49 PM   #1
Fulltime family RVer

Carrying Extra Diesel Fuel

Given our upcoming travel plans, I've been wanting to carry some extra fuel just in case the "oh crap" happens and I can't easily find somewhere to stop. I've been debating carrying 10-20 gallons of fuel in two or four 5-gallon cans. (What I'd really like to do is get the larger fuel tank, but $70-150 is a LOT cheaper than $1,500 for a replacement tank. And I'm not enthusiastic about permanently mounting a tank in the truck bed.)

I've been kicking around these No-Spill brand cans:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...KPJFYMZXZXH4BM

Has anyone used these? Any recommendations?

Old 04-06-2015, 05:54 PM   #2
B47

Never used them,but being EPA and CARB approved seems like a good endorsement.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:04 PM   #3
Fulltime family RVer

I'm mostly wondering how easy/hard they are to use for filling up a truck tank. I assume most folks buying these are filling tractors or other equipment where the fuel tank may be more exposed.

I like the push button on/off- seems like it would work way better than the other spouts that I've had on my last few cheap gas cans.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:05 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

If you concerned about extra fuel how about an aux tank.

Amazon.com: Trail FX 29224166 Steel Fuel Transfer Tank: Automotive
2015 129 nites
2016 63 nites
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:09 PM   #5
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
If you concerned about extra fuel how about an aux tank.

Amazon.com: Trail FX 29224166 Steel Fuel Transfer Tank: Automotive
Nah, I don't want to permanently lose the bedspace. It's bad enough back there with the rolltop cover canister.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:09 PM   #6
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I'm mostly wondering how easy/hard they are to use for filling up a truck tank. I assume most folks buying these are filling tractors or other equipment where the fuel tank may be more exposed.

I like the push button on/off- seems like it would work way better than the other spouts that I've had on my last few cheap gas cans.
Read the reviews 73 0/0 like it.

And BTW - you can get them "Gift Wrapped".
Old 04-06-2015, 06:14 PM   #7

I installed a transfer tank/toolbox in the bed of my truck, that gives me 50 more gallons and it has an electric pump and switch. The tank/box was $350, the pump was $45, and the filter was $25, the switch was $6. The tank is mounted with 3 bolts and a small hole in the bed for the hose to go through. A "T" was put in the vent line to the onboard tank.
All this took two hours to install. Oh yes, the pipe fitting and shutoff valve cost about $15. This gives me 86 gallons if I need it. Never leave the driveway on a trip without both tanks full.
I did all this because I worry about being far away from home and not being able to get back if fuel is not obtainable [electrical failure for one].
If you ever decide to buy such a unit, make darn sure it has a bung in the bottom side to get your fuel and you don't have to have one installed. Bought mine from Tractor Supply.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:24 PM   #8

Hey Epy.. I have a couple of those. They work real gooder but ya wanna get the spout extension thingamabob. It's a PITA trying to transfer fuel to a vehicle tank without it.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
I installed a transfer tank/toolbox in the bed of my truck, that gives me 50 more gallons and it has an electric pump and switch.
I would really love to do that with my rig, but I haven't put enough thought into how to fill the darn thing with a canopy on board.

Any chance you have some links to the equipment you mentioned. $350 for a tank is really reasonable.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:38 PM   #10

No links, just go to Tractor Supply's website. I think you may have a problem with the canopy cover unless you can get a tank that's height is low enough to sneak under your lid. My TANK will fit under a lid, but the fill neck raises it 2 inches which won't cut it. I'm installing an AES shell on the back and won't have any height problem. I carry soooo much junk [wench, second spare tire, two swing-out boxes, extra 6 gal water tank, etc] in the bed, it's time to secure it.
OBTW, most diesel hoses are long enough to reach through the rear of a shell. By height, I was talking about the roller covers

Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel