Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2016, 09:26 AM   #21

Glad all are ok, and sorry about your experience. We also recently had a tire failure with some damage. (much older tire). In researching new tires, I have found that my 06 Cherokee ( which we bought used ) has the wrong size and load range tires and wrong size wheels on it. In researching tires, I have found it also has the wrong axles (under rated). Still waiting on FR to respond as this was an unsafe situation from the factory. Before you replace tires, make sure that you have the right size. Listed on certification decal on trailer will have size,psi,load range info. Good Luck.
JVJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:46 AM   #22

Sorry to hear of your tires blowing, but glad your safe. A trailer can be repaired or replaced. It sounds as if you did all you could to keep them running after the magic 4 year mark. It sounds like you hit something in the road for both to go, No matter what anyone says TST system would not have helped at all in what you have described. Make sure you save the threads and let the ins. co. handle it. You did nothing wrong, you probably did more them most but things happened. Don't beat yourself up, but sorry about your trailer...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:01 AM   #23

Just wanted to clarify...upon close inspection it looks like the right rear tire exploded, and then debis from the TT's under carriage and flooring took out the right front tire. Really don't think there was any junk on the road surface that we ran over. Again, thanks to all!
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:06 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Your tires have a one year warranty, that's over.
Your camper had a one year warranty, that's over.
Since both blew out I have to wonder if you hit something, maybe not.
It's up to you and your insurance agent at this point.
Glad no one was hurt.

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "32"
Just to clarify...looks like the right rear tire exploded and then debris from the travel trailer took out the right front tire. Pretty sure we didn't run over anything lying on the highway...
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:14 AM   #25

Display and delivery tires. Anyone that reads any of these forums should understand that these tires should come off the day you buy the trailer. Sorry for your problem but it's not like it wasn't to be expected.....
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:53 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Sorry to hear of your tires blowing, but glad your safe. A trailer can be repaired or replaced. It sounds as if you did all you could to keep them running after the magic 4 year mark. It sounds like you hit something in the road for both to go, No matter what anyone says TST system would not have helped at all in what you have described. Make sure you save the threads and let the ins. co. handle it. You did nothing wrong, you probably did more them most but things happened. Don't beat yourself up, but sorry about your trailer...

The op said the first tire exploded and sometime later the other one went, it may have been a few seconds or longer but my TST 507 would have sounded the alarm when the first tire went out. But it seems like most campers don't have TPMS on the trailer tires or if like my Silverado 3500 don't even come with them installed on the truck

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:58 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
The op said the first tire exploded and sometime later the other one went, it may have been a few seconds or longer but my TST 507 would have sounded the alarm when the first tire went out. But it seems like most campers don't have TPMS on the trailer tires or if like my Silverado 3500 don't even come with them installed on the truck

If it was caused as he said, TST still would not have helped. The first tire blew into the second tire within seconds. You wouldn't even beable to stop in time. TST system is a AID not a prove all protector. If both happened at the same time the TST system would have been useless except to let him know that he had rapid air loss.

Old 08-27-2016, 11:00 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
Display and delivery tires. Anyone that reads any of these forums should understand that these tires should come off the day you buy the trailer. Sorry for your problem but it's not like it wasn't to be expected.....
Now you must be kidding his tires were 5 years old. Not all tires are bad and shouldn't be lumped together.. He could have bought the best tire made and in 5 years the same thing could happen...,

Old 08-27-2016, 11:07 AM   #29
Mod free 5er

As a general rule, the factory tires are not very reliable, I've only had one out of 7 new trailers that didn't have to have the factory tires replaced within 2 yrs for numerous reasons, none of which were from hitting something on the road. Trying to get over 4 yrs on factory trailer tires is a dream.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 11:36 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post

Can't agree more. Mine came off after 40 miles, which is the distance from the dealer to my home.

Bought new wheels and tires -- went from 15" to 16".

Did I want to spend $1,500 on that? Not really. But I don't worry about blow-outs or the $$$ damage caused to the trailer by them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 01:19 PM   #31

Manufacturing defects can occur on any tire no matter where it is made or how much it costs. Installing larger, more expensive, and or increasing
the load range rating certainly helps to prevent tire failures, but failures can and will still occur.

Best bet is to be prepared and drive at a reasonable speed.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 01:58 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
Manufacturing defects can occur on any tire no matter where it is made or how much it costs. Installing larger, more expensive, and or increasing
the load range rating certainly helps to prevent tire failures, but failures can and will still occur.

Best bet is to be prepared and drive at a reasonable speed.

The failure pattern/rate with ST tires is more than just "Manufacturing defects can occur on any tire no matter where it is made or how much it costs." That is what all of these threads are about.

If you think ST tires are just getting a bad rap because their owners are not taking care of them, you aren't paying attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 02:43 PM   #33

I think 5er_tom is right, keep your tires checked and drive at a reasonable speed, I would just add buy yourself a TPMS that you trust.

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 03:32 PM   #34

Actually the root of the problem may be that RV manufactures factory install tires that just barely meet the RV weight requirements. If all those China Bomb load range C tires were load range D, perhaps we would not be having this discussion.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, tire