Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2015, 10:07 AM   #1
Broken Toe

catching theives

So down at our lake lot where we leave our campers, there is a group of meth-heads living full time 2 streets over. Theft is an occasional problem down there, but usually its not terrible. But lately, things on our side of the lake are getting stolen with regularity. I think someone in that group lost whatever menial job they had, and they are getting desperate. We all pretty much know who is doing it, but as Denzel Washington said: "It's not what you know, it's what you can prove"

Of course, we keep our campers locked up, but its pretty easy to break into a camper if you really wanted to. My across the street neighbor spent the week down there on vacation and said that he seen one of the chicks from that group nosing around on my lot, looking up under the front of my buddies 5'ver. They are after anything with value that can be carried away, and they seem to like propane tanks.

So I have ordered 2 game cameras to keep an eye on my lot. After much research, I selected Stealth Cam G42NG as they are pretty highly regarded, and have a completely black (to humans) infrared flash. I even got two camo steel enclosures to house them, as I think if they saw them they would steal them too. I've picked out locations where I can put them that will see the half of our lots where we keep our stuff. I should be able to see everything we own, plus each camera will see the other.

I really don't want anything stolen, but I'm an kinda hoping these a-holes try something. I would love to get them busted and booted out of the community. I'll have them up and running this weekend. It'll be interesting to see what they capture (animals, humans, aliens, ect) going across our lots.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:22 AM   #2

I use game cameras for hunting but us hunters also have to deal with thieves stealing the cameras, treestands, blinds etc. As far as them stealing the cameras....can you put one up high enough that you can only reach it with a ladder? That is something I know some hunters do to catch a thief. Keep one low and if they try to steal it, have the one up high where it will get a pic of it.
Good luck.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:28 AM   #3

The problem I see with that is, even if you catch them, report them to the police and show them the video/pictures as evidence it won't be enough to have them locked up. Those kind of criminals have more rights nowadays than us law abiding citizens do . I'm not saying you should take the law into your own hands but maybe motion activated lights and sirens (I didn't say doberman or two ) would be a good way to keep them out. Those buggers more than likely carry guns and have nothing to lose.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:42 AM   #4

It may also be illegal to video them without permission, best to check with your local PD...
Mark_Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:00 AM   #5
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
The problem I see with that is, even if you catch them, report them to the police and show them the video/pictures as evidence it won't be enough to have them locked up. Those kind of criminals have more rights nowadays than us law abiding citizens do . I'm not saying you should take the law into your own hands but maybe motion activated lights and sirens (I didn't say doberman or two ) would be a good way to keep them out. Those buggers more than likely carry guns and have nothing to lose.
I'm sure they don't have any guns. If they did, they would have sold them long ago for drugs.

Without going too much into the politics of criminal rights and your exaggeration thereof... it's kinda hard to argue with a picture of them carrying away my stuff. I can assure you that would indeed be enough evidence for an arrest and most likely a conviction. It would certainly be enough for a search warrant on their premises. And at the very least, would be better than no picture at all, and give me enough reason to go over and kick seven different kinds of dog crap outta the little tweakers.

On the practical side, Cops aren't stupid. I know enough of them. They know exactly who is doing what in their area. When my truck was stolen a couple years ago, even before it was recovered the Under-sheriff told me they knew who did it. He told me this guy was well known to them, and he steals trucks a few times a year. When I asked why he never arrested him, they said that they can never place him at the scene of the crime. One picture from a camera showing him even looking into my truck would have been enough to arrest him on the spot.

But even lacking legal action, I'll be happy with enough proof to take to the trustees of the community. They will revoke their access and that will pretty much eliminate the problem. Simply scaring them away will not solve anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Harrington View Post
It may also be illegal to video them without permission, best to check with your local PD...
As someone who's into photography, I have researched photography rights in the past. You are free to video or photograph whomever you want on your property with or without their knowledge or permission. In public areas, the general rule of thumb is "if you can see it, you can photograph it". You can even photograph something on private property if you are in a public area, as long as there is no expectation of privacy (i.e. you can photograph your neighbors front yard from a public road, you cannot use a telephoto lens to shoot thru their living room window). You can take pictures on private property that is open to the pubic (a restaurant) unless specifically prohibited. You are not allowed to photograph things without permission while you are on private property.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 09-02-2015, 11:09 AM   #6

Tim,
I'm a full-time professional photographer. I hold certifications from both PPA and WPPI. The laws vary depending on jurisdiction and local ordinance. You can photograph on your own property, and yes, generally in public because there is no "Expectation of Privacy"; however, even if you photograph you can't necessarily use the image and depending on your state's wire tapping laws even use clear cut images for any purpose other than personal enjoyment. This issue is discussed ad-naseum in the professional groups to which I belong, there is never a clear answer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Item3_CPPFlyer2.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	445.1 KB
ID:	87588   Click image for larger version

Name:	badge-02.png
Views:	217
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	87589  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CPP.pdf (1.66 MB, 18 views)
Mark_Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:19 AM   #7

If you have AC power in the camper, you might consider a SimpliSafe alarm system. Easy do it yourself install and has a self contained data type cell phone that alerts the alarm company. They will call you, and/or the police. Could give you some peace of mind. You can monitor it's status on your phone or PC.
Swampweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:21 AM   #8
Broken Toe

Quote:
Tim,
I'm a full-time professional photographer. I hold certifications from both PPA and WPPI. The laws vary depending on jurisdiction and local ordinance. You can photograph on your own property, and yes, generally in public because there is no "Expectation of Privacy"; however, even if you photograph you can't necessarily use the image and depending on your state's wire tapping laws even use clear cut images for any purpose other than personal enjoyment. This issue is discussed ad-naseum in the professional groups to which I belong, there is never a clear answer.
Surveillance laws are a bit different from the laws for general photography. A pretty good synopsis is here:

Resources - Video Surveillance Laws Listed by State

The tricky part come into shooting video with audio. Some states have a one-party or two-party rule on recording conversations. However, I will only shoot stills. No recording of video or audio. I am well within my rights to do so on my property for the purpose of security or surveillance. I might not be able to use footage of any non-criminal activity i manage to capture, but criminal activity footage is usable for prosecution or civil lawsuits.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 09-02-2015, 11:26 AM   #9
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Depends how good a lawyer you retain. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:45 PM   #10

As someone who's into photography, I have researched photography rights in the past. You are free to video or photograph whomever you want on your property with or without their knowledge or permission. In public areas, the general rule of thumb is "if you can see it, you can photograph it". You can even photograph something on private property if you are in a public area, as long as there is no expectation of privacy (i.e. you can photograph your neighbors front yard from a public road, you cannot use a telephoto lens to shoot thru their living room window). You can take pictures on private property that is open to the pubic (a restaurant) unless specifically prohibited. You are not allowed to photograph things without permission while you are on private property.

Tim

Tim: Having been a newspaper managing editor for several decades, I can say that what you describe is exactly the guidelines followed by newspapers everywhere. Not only that, but photos taken under the circumstances you describe are actually published in newspapers every day. Also, there are no special rights for newspapers. What they are allowed to do is allowable for any citizen.

Just don't use those photos for commercial purposes without permission.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:57 PM   #11
Site Team

Depending on where your RV is, you can now purchase game cameras that will transmit real time photos to you computer or cell phone via cell service. If there is someone in the area mush of the time ( neighbor across the st) you could call them and ask the to become visible at your RV.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Its already illegal for them to be stealing. I wouldn't worry about the legality of snapping their picture with a game camera.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
Old 09-02-2015, 03:57 PM   #13
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie70 View Post
Its already illegal for them to be stealing. I wouldn't worry about the legality of snapping their picture with a game camera.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
Exactamundo!

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 09-02-2015, 04:30 PM   #14

The clubhouse at our rifle range was broken into twice before we installed a game cam on the wall and clearly marked it with big decals as a fire and smoke detector. We also added two cheap, phoney surveillance cameras to get their attention.
Two weeks later, two young guys broke in with their shirts over their heads, went straight to the two phoney cameras, tore them off the wall and THEN removed their head covers. The game cam caught them and videoed them for over 30 minutes which is about how long it took the county police to recognize them. They were both convicted, doing jail time AND have to make restitution for what they stole and destroyed.
Make sure you get the "lock box" to secure the cam so they can't steal it if it's discovered.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:17 AM   #15
Broken Toe

Just a quick update!

For those of you who doubt the value of game camera, these 2 fine gentlemen are now residing in the St. Francis County Jail as a direct result of photographs taken by a game camera that was installed on a lot at the lake (not mine, but another person)

These are indeed the guys I was speaking of in the first post, and they found evidence and possessions for 9 break-ins and they are strongly suspected in 4 more.

Score one for the good guys

Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thiefs.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	88369  

"Camper" 2016
Old 09-11-2015, 10:44 AM   #16

Good job! You mentioned in the first post that they were "meth heads"....I would have never guessed that by looking at the pics.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Good job! You mentioned in the first post that they were "meth heads"....I would have never guessed that by looking at the pics.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😆😆😆😆😆

2014 Crusader 295rst
2014 F150 Fx4
Old 09-11-2015, 12:30 PM   #18

Quote:
My grandpa used to say "never judge a book by its cover", however, these two don't strike me as a couple of upstanding young men contributing to the better good of the community.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
The clubhouse at our rifle range was broken into twice before we installed a game cam on the wall and clearly marked it with big decals as a fire and smoke detector. We also added two cheap, phoney surveillance cameras to get their attention.
Two weeks later, two young guys broke in with their shirts over their heads, went straight to the two phoney cameras, tore them off the wall and THEN removed their head covers. The game cam caught them and videoed them for over 30 minutes which is about how long it took the county police to recognize them. They were both convicted, doing jail time AND have to make restitution for what they stole and destroyed.
Make sure you get the "lock box" to secure the cam so they can't steal it if it's discovered.
it takes a special brand of stupid to steal from a gun range... good way to end up dead
Old 09-11-2015, 12:54 PM   #20

one trick we use to secure our game cameras is to take a square cake pan, put the game camera in it and drill 1/2-3/4 holes in it. Then take an adjustable lock like this and secure it to a tree...

My buddy likest to include on everything left at his hunting property, an index card in a ziplock bag that reads, we have 50 acres and a back hoe, its it worth it?

Master Lock 8417D Python Adjustable Locking Cable, 6-Foot - Game Camera - Amazon.com

Tags
cat