Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2016, 08:10 AM   #1
KnP

CB Radio, anybody out there?

My wife's side of the family are/were in the trucking business. Most of them retired or are on another career paths. While talking about 70s and how big was the CB Radio craze sometimes we see here and there someone with a whip antenna on trucks. Looking around, found some portable CB Radios. I say pretty decent for the price and power output.

I was checking one out and all I can get was a Weather Report but nothing else, just air silence. Now that I think about it, is pretty much a forgotten piece of thechnology that might come handy.

Anyway... CB Radio pretty much dead, why they still around in the market? Who uses them? Any RVers still using them?
Old 04-18-2016, 08:24 AM   #2
Site Team

CB radios are still very much around and are primarily used by the trucking community. If the one you have only receives weather reports, it may have a weather channel option ( button or selector switch) which is activated. You may want to look at the Family Radio Service FRS radios, especially if you have children. The language and general conduct on CB today is not something you want children or even some adults to be exposed to. In addition, FRS radios work well for keeping in touch with family at a campground. If the radios you found are handheld and do not use normal carbon batteries you will have difficulty finding replacements and they will most likely be expensive.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:35 AM   #3

I have one and like the weather band with auto alerts, I also strongly agree with Flybob the language used today on the air is not fit for family listening. The CB is still a good travel tool to gauge travel traffic and conditions.
cphubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:46 AM   #4

Have one in our MH. While traveling I-40 2 years ago major accident interstate shut down. Listened to truckers as to the best route to take around accident. Got us back on I-40 with no hassels. GPS kept "recalculating". Nice to have when needed.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:51 AM   #5

I have had one for many years. Definitely has saved us travel problems due to accidents , We always get a heads up from the truckers.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:07 AM   #6

I have a Midland in my coach which gets pretty good reception (when traveling with my RV club). Usually though not many people use them anymore & when they do...

They're good when there is a traffic problem.

ceedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:06 AM   #7
KnP

The wife and I do not get offended by the language, we expect that anyway. I was wondering if they still useful and perhaps, some to be entertained while traveling.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:34 AM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to Boots49
Love our CB, have had numerous incidents on the road that truckers have alerted us to that has saved countless hours of waiting. We even had the National Weather Alert cut into our CB with dangerous weather conditions. Did you know that most caravans require you to have one.

Al & Susanne
Aka: Puss 'n Boots
Wildcat 31 TS - Silverado 2500 DuraMax Diesel
Tip of the Day: Stay safe, have fun and never leave the cat out in the rain!
Boots49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:19 PM   #9

Cool CB Radio

I installed one on our 2015 Coachman Prism. We use it very infrequently. It's just a backup for emergencies and traffic alternatives heard by truckers and others.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:33 PM   #10

Standard equipment in many Dyanmax models

Cobra used to be the gold standard CB set. They are apparently still around as new Dynamax models built on Freightliner chassis at least have them installed from the factory.
DynaQuestDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnP View Post
My wife's side of the family are/were in the trucking business. Most of them retired or are on another career paths. While talking about 70s and how big was the CB Radio craze sometimes we see here and there someone with a whip antenna on trucks. Looking around, found some portable CB Radios. I say pretty decent for the price and power output.

I was checking one out and all I can get was a Weather Report but nothing else, just air silence. Now that I think about it, is pretty much a forgotten piece of thechnology that might come handy.

Anyway... CB Radio pretty much dead, why they still around in the market? Who uses them? Any RVers still using them?

We use them every time we go camping, especially to talk with each other on the drives there and back. I have the Cobra 29LTD. The stablemate of the CB community! I also have it peaked and tuned ($25 to do) so it will reach out a long distance. Having a good antenna is with the correct length coax and getting in dialed in is important too! I use the Wilson "Lil Wil" with 18ft of coax.

Channel 13 is the common RV channel.
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:43 PM   #12

We run a CB on channel 13, and a 2 meter ham rig.
badge2283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 03:23 PM   #13

CB Radio, anybody out there?

We use them when off-roading.
Essential equipment when herding Jeeps.
I plan on putting one in my TV, not a lot of room for one in these new trucks. [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MarkyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 03:34 PM   #14

Use my CB every trip. Get your ears on. Most truckers are very helpful.

2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8281WS
2015 F250 Crew Cab
jheacox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 03:56 PM   #15

CB radio is all about the antenna and RV antennas are unique

If you decide to get a CB radio for your RV be very careful to get the right antenna. If you mount it on the fibreglass shell you need a no ground plane (NGP) antenna. This is very important otherwise you can buy the best CB radio going and it won't work properly. I highly recommend the Firestik No Ground Plane antenna. If you go to Firestik Antenna Company Home Page they explain why RV CB antennas are different than antennas that are mounted on the steel of a truck or car.
I mounted a Model FG2-DD-W on the roof of my RV and I get great reception.
If you are concerned it will stick up too much you can get one that mounts on the side of the RV with part of the antenna sticking up past the roof line. The more it can go past the roof line, the better the reception.

I agree with others that language used on the Channel 19 is a little "rough" to say the least, but having the CB has saved us from unanticipated road closures to tornado level winds ahead. It is also entertaining on long drives.

Good luck.
GlennFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 04:37 PM   #16
KnP

I was looking into the Midland 75 822 and use an external antenna.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:23 PM   #17

Spent the month of March on a cross country trip from Florida to California and back. Most of the time the CB was quiet with only an occasional truck driver or two talking. However, every time we ran into traffic problems the CB was going nonstop with people asking what the problem was, which lane to be in, alternate routes, etc. To me it's worth the little bit it costs for a usable radio and antenna setup. One trucker was really happy with me when we were driving from New Mexico into Texas. The road conditions kept be to 55mph or so in a 70mph area on a two lane road. I called the truck that came up behind me when it was safe to pass to let him know. He said he didn't have the power to pass as we were going up a slight grade. I told him I'd pull over as soon as I found a safe spot and did so. He was very appreciative.

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester Fred View Post
Spent the month of March on a cross country trip from Florida to California and back. Most of the time the CB was quiet with only an occasional truck driver or two talking. However, every time we ran into traffic problems the CB was going nonstop with people asking what the problem was, which lane to be in, alternate routes, etc. To me it's worth the little bit it costs for a usable radio and antenna setup. One trucker was really happy with me when we were driving from New Mexico into Texas. The road conditions kept be to 55mph or so in a 70mph area on a two lane road. I called the truck that came up behind me when it was safe to pass to let him know. He said he didn't have the power to pass as we were going up a slight grade. I told him I'd pull over as soon as I found a safe spot and did so. He was very appreciative.
That kind of courtesy makes us all look good. Thanks.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio