Old 09-03-2014, 10:04 PM   #21

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
There is at least one phone app that may help in a traffic situation. Waze.com
The users help each other out by posting real time traffic info complete with pictures. I recently found this picture of a TT on it's side while I was stuck in the related backed up traffic. Once I found the picture/post, I knew I needed to move to the left lane .

BTW...KC7MGV here (long ago expired), I bought, sold, modified, repaired, lived and breathed CB's before that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot_2014_0814_1227_001.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	62080  

Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:15 PM   #22

KDZ5153 here. I was a CBer 40 yrs ago. Lic long time expired. I run a Uniden DSB( Dual Side Band) in my TV. It still comes in handy for traffic info.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:46 PM   #23

Send a message via AIM to King Yankee Send a message via Yahoo to King Yankee
KIS 4954 here, we were the first military cb club out of mayport, fl. Back in the 70s. Many good times and attended so many cb jamborees in the south. Really good times.

Lexington GTS 300 S/S
Chevy Avalanche
Jeep Wrangler
Honda Goldwing
King Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:16 PM   #24

I still run my cobra 29 ltd with a Wilson on my commander. With the use of cell phones the cb is obsolete, but it is still usefull when there is slow or stopped traffic. Every once and a while I will get a fellow RVer who still like to jaw on CH 13 and we will convoy till one of us pulls off. I wish more RVers would use 13 again, it's fun to chew the fat with other travelers.

TT-2015 Cherokee 274dbh TV-2010 Jeep Commander Limited
Old 09-08-2014, 01:22 PM   #25

BTW. I have been considering jumping on the HAM bandwagon but know absolutely 0, nada, nothing, about how, what where to get started. We have no clubs around me and the internet sites are very confusing.
So if anyone could lead me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.
What is a good start up set up that won't break the bank.
Thanks all.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:48 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenImp View Post
There is at least one phone app that may help in a traffic situation. Waze.com
The users help each other out by posting real time traffic info complete with pictures. I recently found this picture of a TT on it's side while I was stuck in the related backed up traffic. Once I found the picture/post, I knew I needed to move to the left lane .

BTW...KC7MGV here (long ago expired), I bought, sold, modified, repaired, lived and breathed CB's before that.
I don't have a CB but I do use and love Waze. a free app and works better than any other GPS i own.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:15 PM   #27

Steelframer, there are 2 (or more) amateur radio clubs in Lacrosse area. Here is the web sites of both: They will tell you where they meet and I'm sure someone in the bunch will be willing to help you get started. I am a Volunteer license examiner (KT4W) in the Atlanta, GA area. There are 3 license levels, Technician (first level), General (second level) and Amateur Extra (highest level), there is no longer a requirement for CW (code). A ham license is FREE and renewable every 10 years, but there is a cost to taking the exam, usually $15. I suggest you get a ARRL (Amateur Radio Relay League) license manual and do self study. It is titled "Ham Radio License Manual 3rd Edition". Make sure you get the 3rd Edition as the exam questions change every 4th year and the question pool just took effect on July 1, 2014 so it will be good until 2018. You can order the book from Amazon or sometimes Barnes and Noble will have them in stock, again make sure it is the 3rd Edition. You can also order it from ARRL.org but that is a not a very user friendly web site. OR, perhaps someone in one of the clubs will have a new ham that has a current manual and be willing to either give it to you, loan it to you or sell it to you for a reduced price. The manual normally is just under $30. And don't just stop with a Technicians license, go all the way to Amateur Extra.

Once you are issued a call sign you are permitted to talk. Technicians are restricted to UHF/VHF frequencies, 10M, 6M, 2M and 70cm (and higher). General Class licenses have access to portions of the HF (high frequency) bands (10, 12, 15, 18, 20, 30, 40, 60, 80 and 160m) and Extra Class license has unlimited access to all amateur radio frequencies. There are a number of hand held radios, handi-talkies, that are inexpensive, made in china. Amazon sells them for under $40, plus any accessories you may want. They are normally 5watts output. You can shop around on the internet and look at places like www.gigaparts.com, www.hamradio.com (HRO), www.aes.com (in Milwaukee) or more. You can purchase mobile radios in the $200-300 range that have outputs up to 70watts. You can get mobile antennas for anywhere from $30 to over $300.
You can do sample tests of the actual question pool online at www.aa9pw.com or www.hamstudy.org Either one is very a very good study web site.
I could go on and on about the hobby but I suggest you contact one or both of the clubs for help. I hope this answers some of your questions.
http://www.lacrossehams.org
http://www.mvara.net
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:15 PM   #28
Mod free 5er

17Q4180 years ago, ran a Halicrafters CB3A that had been "souped" up to put out about 3.5 watts IIRC on a 102" whip.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:26 PM   #29

Boo boo 23.
Thank you for all the information. I had no idea there are two clubs in town, I guess I didn't look hard enough.
Maybe they can help me with this internet stuff too.
If you don't mind I maybe "bending your ear" for more info on this hobby, I'll have to keep it quiet because the DW says I have too many now..ha ha ha
Anyway, thanks again for leading me in the right direction.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:50 PM   #30

CBs come in handy for my wife and I. She tows the popup and I tow the boat. I have a cheap midlands in both vehicles with through the glass antennas. Not a lot of range, but we stay close together anyway. They keep us in touch. Here in NY cell phones can't be used while you are driving.

Tags
radio