Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2019, 08:29 PM   #21

CB Radios...anybody still use these?

I use mine every time I am on the road, yes the language can be colorful at times, but unfortunately that's what you get using the truck channel. The road Intel is very valuable when you are on a small road out west and you have a road train ( prime mover and up to 4 trailers)heading towards you at speed, you need plenty of time to be able to get off the road to let them pass. Also good for traffic accident advice and other information assist with safe traveling. Mobile phones usually not have coverage in these areas. Important part of my accessory's in my F250 and Flagstaff.
Trevor Williamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:50 PM   #22

still use

Yes not lot of activity on CB anymore but be on road when there is bad weather conditions or road trouble and it comes to life on the interstates. Seldom do the truckers respond even if they have CB on til there is trouble.
danandmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:14 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottnlindsay View Post
I was into it, then out of it and now dabble in it once in awhile. I enjoy talking skip all over the world on both AM and SSB. I ran all barefoot and did very well. Now, I just spend most time on my 2m/70cm.
x2 KN4QHF
Jane1550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:30 PM   #24

I have one I keep handy while travelling. Have used it twice to find out why we were stopped on the Interstate, how long we might be there and an alternate route. Also to thank the trucker behind me who let us and our trailer ovee in front of him.

"Red" my 2018 Ford Lariat F-150 4X4 W/ Max Tow pkg
"Rover" our 2018 Forest River Wildwood X-Lite 241qbxl
revbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:40 PM   #25
Pro RV Transporter

I’m a truck driver and always have my CB radio on. I’ll admit, there definitely isn’t as much going on as there used to be...BUT it saves me time after time from accidents, road closures, construction, cops, pile-ups, etc. I would definitely recommend one especially if traveling across the country. Just remember that transmit/receive capabilities are 10% radio & 90% antenna so DO NOT cheap out when it comes to antennas. You don’t have to get carried away with it... a Cobra 29 classic ( or I prefer the 29 LTD ) and a 3’ or 4’ Firestick w/ a tunable tip will do just fine. Also don’t forget that you absolutely have to calibrate & set the SWR on a new radio setup or anytime the antenna is changed. You want as close to 1.1 SWR reading as possible. With proper setup, you can have a 4-10+ mile talking range with just a basic setup depending on weather and geography.
Jhenson2211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:26 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhenson2211 View Post
I’m a truck driver and always have my CB radio on. I’ll admit, there definitely isn’t as much going on as there used to be...BUT it saves me time after time from accidents, road closures, construction, cops, pile-ups, etc. I would definitely recommend one especially if traveling across the country. Just remember that transmit/receive capabilities are 10% radio & 90% antenna so DO NOT cheap out when it comes to antennas. You don’t have to get carried away with it... a Cobra 29 classic ( or I prefer the 29 LTD ) and a 3’ or 4’ Firestick w/ a tunable tip will do just fine. Also don’t forget that you absolutely have to calibrate & set the SWR on a new radio setup or anytime the antenna is changed. You want as close to 1.1 SWR reading as possible. With proper setup, you can have a 4-10+ mile talking range with just a basic setup depending on weather and geography.
X2 on antenna tuning!

Still have a couple of Uniden SSB's from the late '70's that are useful at times, especially with nonexistent or overloaded phone service as seen during hurricane evacuations or other disasters.

CB's were the original social media with the same fun, opinions and disagreements you see today. Ham radio has always been a bit more sophisticated than CB's and can provide some interesting listening experiences as well.
People haven't really changed that much, just their communications devices.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:07 AM   #27
Grammar Pedant

I have a Cobra 29 LTD Chrome in my F150. I only put it in because I had an extra one and the 2005 F150 still had a standard ashtray in the dash (hence, a convenient location to put a radio). If anyone is interested, I can post pics of the install, but I don't want to turn the thread into "how/where did you mount your CB."

Another person noted that he only puts the antenna on for longer trips. That's fine, just be sure not to transmit when the antenna is disconnected. The SWR might be out of whack, which can bounce the the transmitting power back down into the radio. That will eventually destroy it.

I think Bluetooth has killed the CB radio. Truckers communicate and find out about conditions through their phones, which are connected to the internet, which can be used hands-free with myriad devices.

As late as the early 2000s, there was decent traffic on the common channels. Over here in the Denver-metro area, it's pretty quiet. Most of the chatter I ever hear are from loading docks of local lumber yards or fuel supply companies. I thought it might be convenient to have a CB when towing. It's not. There are too few truckers out there chatting.

Every CB radio I've ever seen has a PA output, too. You can get a cheap PA speaker off Amazon for $5-10. I end up using my PA speaker more than my CB radio.

I doubt I put a CB in my next truck. Finding suitable mounting locations is hard and there just isn't much utility in having one these days.

Good luck.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:01 AM   #28

Has anyone used a thru glass antenna? My coach is fiberglass so not magnetic, I am unable to attach to my mirrors. Thoughts?
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:14 AM   #29

We have a small hand-held Midland that is used when traffic backs up. Finding out how far backup is and if we should look for alternates. When backups occur, someone always comes on advising where backup is.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:23 AM   #30

360: On your Georgetown, (attach to receiver hitch) or even if TT or 5ver mounted, consider a full length 102" whip on a spring mounted base mount on the rear bumper for a CB in the living unit or even the TT tongue of steel truck bed if you want the radio in the truck. The TT frame makes a great ground plane. Personally, I dislike mag mounts as not the best impedance connection to the ground plane. Unlike the very high gigahertz CMS and GSM cell phone shorty antennas - I've never seen even a base loaded CB antenna that affixes to glass - too much wind load. Please, have someone look at the VWSR with a meter when tuning any CB antenna. Avoid blowing your transitorized finals on reflected wave. Start with excess antenna lead and shorten in 4-6" increments to hopefully lower the VSWR.
Old Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:54 AM   #31

Thinking about installing one in my truck for those cases where I can't get cell phone service.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:57 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360true View Post
Has anyone used a thru glass antenna? My coach is fiberglass so not magnetic, I am unable to attach to my mirrors. Thoughts?
I have tried through the glass mount antennas in the past and they are a waste of time and money. On my coach I installed a no ground plane antenna on the Freightliner mirror. My was made by Firestik.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:25 AM   #33

Houston.... Thanks for the confirmation. I had heard that too.
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:44 AM   #34
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Yep I was big in to CBs years ago. Last time I had one in my truck was my 2010 now it sits on a shelf in the garage. I depend more on my on board nav system that lets me know when there is a traffic problem and will give me alternate routes to take to avoid the congestion. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:57 AM   #35

Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonstroker View Post
I have tried through the glass mount antennas in the past and they are a waste of time and money. On my coach I installed a no ground plane antenna on the Freightliner mirror. My was made by Firestik.
Same setup on my Forrester. The Firestiks are great.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:11 PM   #36

A thru the rear glass antenna worked just fine in my Ford Pinto. Shows how long ago that was!

Where are you guys getting radio traffic? I had my scanner set to receive CB the past couple of hours. Dead silent here SW of Richmond. Had to use a tiny bit of squelch as this is AM. Silent as expected. As is my CB hand held, again as expected.

Paper Tiger is ten-seven. Out.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:15 PM   #37

Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
A thru the rear glass antenna worked just fine in my Ford Pinto. Shows how long ago that was!

Where are you guys getting radio traffic? I had my scanner set to receive CB the past couple of hours. Dead silent here SW of Richmond. Had to use a tiny bit of squelch as this is AM. Silent as expected. As is my CB hand held, again as expected.

-- Chuck
As someone mentioned early, activity usually picks up when there is a problem, otherwise silent. I also noticed when traveling west, activity seems to pick up west of PA, but still not a lot other than in stopped traffic on an interstate or some other problem on the road.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:28 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post

-- Chuck
10-4 Good buddy. Keep the shiny side up. We're clear !
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:36 PM   #39

Started in early 70's with Realistic and went through Hy-Gain, Cobra's, Brownings, Uniden, Midlands. 23 chan, 40 chan, SSB.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:34 PM   #40

It's A Minimum Investement

In a previous occupation, situational awareness was a crucial aspect of the trade. Two-way radio communications facilitated this. Being aware of the virtue of CB radio, rather lack thereof, I questioned the same as you.

Of 17 seasoned overland truckers queried, the averaged response was that the CB radio was no more or less a “tool” of their trade. Their other tools included the cell phone, (the app Waze), the latest lifetime upgradable GPS, two cases a company issued laptop, and their AM/FM radio to tune into known stations which provide traffic information at through or destination cities.

Citizen Band radios are inexpensive. Regardless of permanent or temporary installation, (handheld), the investment of a CB radio is nominal. If you find it useful, upgrade in the future. What has worked for me—specific to how my wife and I enjoy traveling, may not be the same as yours. A consideration is: would you rather have it and not need it, or need it and not have it. Also, should you choose to get a CB radio, I’m not aware of any that don’t have an “off” switch.

George G. Fries

2016 Wildcat 29RLX
2015 RAM, 2500 Crew, 6.4L
4 X 4, Single, 4.10 Rear
GeorgeFries is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio