Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2018, 03:25 PM   #1

CB Radios...anybody still use these?

I used to have a 40 pumped by a 50 witch, 50 amp witch booster. I could 12-15 miles in the winter with no leaves. 9-10 miles in the warmer months with the leaves out.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:32 PM   #2

I was into it, then out of it and now dabble in it once in awhile. I enjoy talking skip all over the world on both AM and SSB. I ran all barefoot and did very well. Now, I just spend most time on my 2m/70cm.
scottnlindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 03:56 PM   #3

CB appears close to death in my experience. I set my scanner to the band for a day and only heard some moron running a brief comedy broadcast -- wasn't talking to anyone. External antenna 500 feet from I90 and less than two miles from I77, I71, and I480. Small transceiver in the car rarely breaks squelch. Fixing to put it on Ebay for lack of utility.

High power SSB CB rigs of dubious legality are for sale at several places on the Internet but I have no idea why. Maybe out on the plains?

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 05:19 PM   #4
Green Horn

i use one in my tractor at work, planning on installing one in the truck before we go camping
kevin211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 06:15 PM   #5

People still use them. Good idea if you're spending time in really remote areas that may not have a cell signal. I have one in my Jeep but thinking of moving it to my TV for use when we're on the interstate or remote (in case we break down).

It's pretty much mandatory if you have a Jeep and go on a club ride.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:32 PM   #6

My S2000 rides do just fine with FRS "blister pack" radios but we don't get too far apart.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:39 PM   #7

Used ours last summer when we got into traffic on I-91. Found out what lane was closed by an accident so we could move over early. Many truckers are still monitoring 19. Still useful.
stephndudb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:53 PM   #8
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Got one and I monitor it while travelling. Seems like alot of truckers wear cell phone head sets and dont bother with cb's anymore. Most the time an old time will get on 19 and complain about "4 wheelers" rubber necking or slowing down too much while passing law enforcement.
It's all still entertaining. Especially when they start yelling at each other.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:21 PM   #9

I just put mine back in for a trip to Florida down I95. I installed an NMO mount and can install the CB antenna and radio, or put on a 2/70 antenna and Kenwood 2/70 radio. Power and antenna cable come out in a place I can mount either radio. Both antennas have been tuned
I agree with a prior poster about monitoring lane blockages. Sort of hard on a 2 meter.
I will admit the CB has been in a box for 3 years.
Most coincidences are carefully planned
Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 12:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffjeeptj View Post
I just put mine back in for a trip to Florida down I95. I installed an NMO mount and can install the CB antenna and radio, or put on a 2/70 antenna and Kenwood 2/70 radio. Power and antenna cable come out in a place I can mount either radio. Both antennas have been tuned
I agree with a prior poster about monitoring lane blockages. Sort of hard on a 2 meter.
I will admit the CB has been in a box for 3 years.
Had one in my vehicles since the 70's. Just bought a new truck and debating on whether I am going to put one in it. Rarely used it in old truck. On the rare occasion that I had it on the language was awful. Don't need my special needs daughter adding those to her vocabulary.
GerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 12:35 AM   #11

We use the CBs on our fishing boats, since we discovered that if we use the VHF marine band radio, other boats can find us, using direction finders. ("radio fish")

We also do use hand held units in our TV, when heading fishing.

Ram 2500 diesel / FR Surveyor 251rks
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 01:32 AM   #12

Usually have one in my truck. I only put up the antenna for long distance travel.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 01:14 PM   #13

My CB use goes back before Channel 19 in the early 70's. I still installed on when we bought the truck but really only use it in heavy traffic, to find out about an accident, or how too get around a obstruction
Old 01-01-2019, 01:15 PM   #14

I have a Galaxy in my commercial semi truck. Same Galaxy that I have had for most of this century. I usually have it on, but I rarely ever talk on it or even pay much attention to it. No real desire to have one in my pickup. I find various apps on my phone actually take care of road closures, accident awareness, major traffic issues, weather, etc. The glory days of CB are pretty much history.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 05:16 PM   #15

Morotcycles & CBs

yes, CBs are still used by Goldwingers, and a few other motorcycles. We have a CB on our CanAm Spyder. It makes motorcycle travel so much more enjoyable when you can communicate.
spydernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 06:55 PM   #16

Only use hand held when traveling with a friend. I have not heard much traffic at other times so I am pretty sure that CB radios are becoming a thing of the past.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:09 PM   #17

CB

The use has declined a lot since the 60s when we used them regularly. I still carry a coulpe of hand helds and an outside antenna. Like thers have said they are still useful when you are without cell signal, or if you are like me and live in the Sierra foothills where cell phones are only good if you can get WiFi or to play games. My average use is 10 minutes per month on my cell when I go somewhere. At home it is off.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:21 PM   #18

lol, ive got 4 CB,s and use them to monitor the hwy,s when i travel. 1 in my truck that i haul my 5ver ,1 in my truck i run for winter ,1 in my wifes car when we go on a rd trip ,and 1 i keep for a spare
Old 01-01-2019, 10:24 PM   #19

CB radios useful for me

I keep one in the '41 Chevrolet when we go on long distance cruises as all of the participating cars are equipped with them. They are invaluable when one of the cars may have a problem. After all, the cars are usually from 60 to 80 years old or older and things do happen from time to time.

I also have one in my Allegro Bus as it came equipped from the factory with it. Really useful when traveling with other travel buddies, especially when cell service is spotty or non-existent. It is so much easier just to pick up the mike and ask a question than to dial the cell number, even when cell service is present. The one in the bus is a Cobra and also has NOAA weather channels, so it serves another backup purpose. I also used a different radio in my two previous class C motor homes for the same purpose while on trips to Alaska and Nova Scotia.

It may be approaching extinction, but a CB radio still has a special place in some of my vehicles.

(Sold)2016 Sunseeker 3010DS

TOADs: Honda CRV and Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4 x 4
lakewood90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:54 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by debit View Post
We use the CBs on our fishing boats, since we discovered that if we use the VHF marine band radio, other boats can find us, using direction finders. ("radio fish")

We also do use hand held units in our TV, when heading fishing.

Ram 2500 diesel / FR Surveyor 251rks
the coast guard can be called with the marine band and I would say its a safety issue not sure if all highway patrol listel to cbs anymore
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio