Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2016, 09:41 PM   #21
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Often when we go camping, there are three or four us going at the same time. We usually meet up and all travel together to our destination. We all bought Uniden handheld CB's on Amazon for less than $50 bucks. Has a 'rubber duckie' antenna and plugs in to the cigarette lighter socket for power. No wires to run, no clutter when you're not using it. Just throw it in the glove box or console till next time.

We typically use a non standard channel (like 3 or 8) and we can all stay in touch going down the road. Being handheld, it does shorten the coverage area a bit but it works well up to about a half mile radius.

If one of us sees traffic backing up, we'll switch to 19 to monitor the problem. Saved us a couple times. It's also great to have another couple set of eyes monitoring lights, tires, road hazards, bathroom breaks and etc. and be able to report quickly to everyone in our group.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawacycle2 View Post
I remember camping when I was a kid in my parents MH and loved listening to all the chatter as we were driving.

I'm picking up my first trailer on Monday and was thinking, should I install a CB radio in my truck??

Do people still chat or monitor them now days?
Waze is a much more useful app than a CB these days. For traffic issues, speed traps, and disabled vehicles without all of the trucker trash talk. I have a cb but rarely turn it on anymore.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:46 PM   #23

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
Magnet antennas aren't worth the effort.

I respectfully disagree 100% on this one. Some of the best working antennas ever made are magnet mounts (K-40, Wilson 1000, etc.)....they are very large magnet mounts however. Almost all of the small antennas are not worth the effort (whether magnet mount or not). One other advantage to mag mounting is that you can place the antenna near the center of the vehicle to get a better transmit/receive pattern.

Whatever you get for an antenna, check/set your SWR to get maximum transmit/receive as well as longevity from your radios RF amp. This is far more important than how good of a radio you buy. Some antennas do not have adjustments for "tuning"...personally, I would avoid them.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:17 PM   #24

I have used the thru the window(glass) mount for years. Only goes a couple miles transmit/reception but that is ok for me.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:07 PM   #25

GreenImp Yep.. Poor SWR can drop the signal by 1/2 or even more and CAN damage the transceiver.

Thru the glass units on CB frequencies drop the signal by at least 3db (1/2 or more). However assuming proper SWR they are fine.

The problem with SWR tuning is that USUALLY there is no method with the transceiver alone to measure and adjust. To be sure, you have to get a piece of test gear, or have a shop check it for you. Due to all of the places an antenna can be mounted, the type and size of vehicle, etc. Buying off the shelf and mounting is just a crap shoot as far as SWR goes.

The good side. The 4W output (usually less) and relatively robust output transistor(s) means you will get typical crummy performance but won't hurt anything . (and for $49 who cares?)

If you want it for communications with your traveling mates, get a pair or more of "Family Radio" units (FRS). Transmit range is 3 to 10 times more. NO NOISE at all. No wiring, no external antenna. (Plus it is great for backing into spots, trailer hookup etc. Your helper uses one to talk to you.) FRS is one of the first things I got for my RV.

Several smart phone aps are available for traffic, weather, even speed traps. CB is mostly for entertainment (if that entertains you.)

Ham radio is obviously the cream of the crop, but licensing and lack of use for highway communications, (except for between hams) makes it somewhat not useful.
HAM CALLSIGN - AI4SR
EE, IBMer, Race Car Builder, now Retired.
Jim Schings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:24 PM   #26

CB Use

If you are traveling with someone, they are very useful. But stay away from Chan. 19. If traveling in a larger group, such a tour group to Alaska, they are a requirement. Very easy to communicate with a group. Everyone in our RV club has one and they are used both on the road and while camped.
JPSPete20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:28 PM   #27

I always use it when on the interstates. It's saved my azz several times by listening to the trucker chatter as to 'what lane to get in' when construction shrinks them down or an accident or what detour route to take when avoiding traffic jams. When some idiot 10 states away tries to melt my antenna with his linear amplifier or the vulgar banter sets in I'll squelch it out.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:33 PM   #28

Not with kids in vehicle

After 35 years of trucking I can handle the racket but when I have the grandkids in the truck, it gets turned off. They don't need to hear the kind of crap coming thru the speaker. And it's not just the truckers even tho they are a whole new breed from when I drove--we'll leave that alone
sailtrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:42 PM   #29
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Still have a SWM from days back....Isn't antenna reception determined by ground plane? And length of ant....
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:46 PM   #30
HikerBob

Send a message via MSN to HikerBob Send a message via Yahoo to HikerBob Send a message via Skype™ to HikerBob
Anybody know what frequencies CB operate on? I have 2 hand-helds that covers both the VHF: 136MHz-174MHz and UHF: 400MHz-480MHz ranges plus the commercial FM range. It's great for the NOAA weather stations, too (when in an area where they broadcast), and they can be used as personal walkie-talkies w/o a FCC license.
HikerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:49 PM   #31

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1456681771.664154.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	100635

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 02-28-2016, 02:15 PM   #32

[QUOTE=Jim Schings;1114869]

The problem with SWR tuning is that USUALLY there is no method with the transceiver alone to measure and adjust. To be sure, you have to get a piece of test gear, or have a shop check it for you. Due to all of the places an antenna can be mounted, the type and size of vehicle, etc. Buying off the shelf and mounting is just a crap shoot as far as SWR goes.

I guess I'm shooting crap!

Works for me.

I only need to talk a couple miles any.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 02:34 PM   #33

CB Freqs are 26.945 Mhz thru 27.405 Mhz.

Hikerbob. In theory you are supposed to have a license (either commercial or HAM) for operation in those ranges on your radios. In any case they don't cover the CB bands. Also, it is technically illegal to use any radio that is not FCC type accepted for CB on the CB bands... (although lots do.)
HAM CALLSIGN - AI4SR
Old 02-28-2016, 02:45 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
....Isn't antenna reception determined by ground plane? And length of ant....
Yep, and shape of antenna, and a few other things... The ground plane on a auto (or even an RV) is way to small for optimum range. The same with the antenna. Its the 11 Meter Band. So a decent antenna length would have to be about 18 feet long! That is one reason why FRS radios and antennas work so well. They are on the .645 Meter band.
HAM CALLSIGN - AI4SR
Old 02-28-2016, 02:48 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
I guess I'm shooting crap!

Yep, By definition.. But if it works for you...
HAM CALLSIGN - AI4SR
Old 02-28-2016, 02:55 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HikerBob View Post
I have 2 hand-helds that covers both the VHF: 136MHz-174MHz and UHF: 400MHz-480MHz ranges plus the commercial FM range. It's great for the NOAA weather stations, too (when in an area where they broadcast), and they can be used as personal walkie-talkies w/o a FCC license.
If these radios actually have any transmit any real power in the ranges you listed, you will need a license unless you are operating in the FRS range.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 02:59 PM   #37
HikerBob

Send a message via MSN to HikerBob Send a message via Yahoo to HikerBob Send a message via Skype™ to HikerBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Schings View Post
CB Freqs are 26.945 Mhz thru 27.405 Mhz.

Hikerbob. In theory you are supposed to have a license (either commercial or HAM) for operation in those ranges on your radios. In any case they don't cover the CB bands. Also, it is technically illegal to use any radio that is not FCC type accepted for CB on the CB bands... (although lots do.)
It's my understanding that the FRS frequencies do not need a license. Has something changed since I bought my hand-helds?
HikerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:06 PM   #38
Site Team

FRS radio freqs do not require a license, but many of the radios today are combination FRS and GMRS. The GMRS freqs do require a license. In FRS mode, the power ( range) is much less that when in GMRS mode.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:47 PM   #39

Yes, FRS doesn't need a license. However it is against the law to use non-FRS radios on the FRS bands, They must be FCC type accepted as FRS radios.
HAM CALLSIGN - AI4SR
Old 02-28-2016, 03:48 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawacycle2 View Post
I remember camping when I was a kid in my parents MH and loved listening to all the chatter as we were driving.

I'm picking up my first trailer on Monday and was thinking, should I install a CB radio in my truck??

Do people still chat or monitor them now days?
I have one in my 1ton good to have!
Dick,
dicky1243 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio