Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #1

Cedar Creek 36CKTS - Tow Vehicle

We currently have a Silverback 29RE that I can pull with my 2011 Ford F250 [4X4 Short Box 6.7l diesel 3.55 rear end] without any problem. I have a B&W Companion hitch that works great with the Silverback, but it is fixed and has no slide capability. The Silverback is designed for the 90 deg. turn radius.

We are considering upgrading to a Cedar Creek 36CKTS. The 36CKTS has a different nose cap configuration vs. the 29RE. The 36CKTS is also about 2,200 lbs. heaver than the 29RE. The F250 should have no problem with the additional weight, but I'm concerned about backing with the more square nose cap configuration that is on the 36CKTS.

Do you think my F250 short box with fixed hitch would work with the 36CKTS or would a long box bed with sliding or fixed hitch be a better solution?

I don't want to trade trucks but, there is a difference in the trailer nose cap geometry that may require this if we move up to the 36CKTS.
Tenbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:40 AM   #2

I can’t tell you if the nose cap on the Cedar Creek will work with your current hitch or not. Regardless, you still wouldn’t need to trade trucks but instead just invest in a slider hitch.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #3

The nose is definatly different as you stated. no cutouts in it like the Silverback, which A lot of manufacturers are using for turning clearance. That being said. 1 time jacking that CKTS into A tight spot with A shortbed and you might be needing A new back window in the TV. A slider hitch would be worth the cost. There are A lot of people using sliders that had never relesed them to slide when backing in, But it is good insurance if needed. You should be able to buy A slider that will mount to your current mountings.
A friend of ours has A 2012 CKTS and the loaded pinweight on cat scales is 2675 lbs. Both of us are loaded pretty good. He does have A washer drier in his though. Ours has the W/D in the back so it dosnt add to the pin. But we have A 2013 38FL with A loaded pinweight of 3100 lbs. Lot more steel in the front compared to the Aluminum in his and most other Cedar Creeks.

He pulls his with A 2012 Dodge 3500 srw. But he did pull it with A GMC 2500 short bed for A while before moving to the Dodge.
You dont really need A new TV. Others will disagree but thats why we all have our own opinions.
CAUTION behind this truck is A contagious disease!!!
Its called Camping!!!
kirk37r is offline   Reply With Quote